Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM   #21 (permalink)
Truck Nut

Blue BAT - '06 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
90 day: 16.28 mpg (US)
The problem is in the economics of trucking. A lot of these drivers get paid by the mile driven with fuel cost either paid for by the trucking company or a tax write-off. That gives the driver the wrong incentive - go as fast as possible to get the most miles possible.

The $/mile pay is typically so low that, to feed their families, the truckers really need to be running 65 mph+.

As a community, if we are really interested in saving fuel, we should be lobbying for several changes to the trucking laws.
1. Pay truckers on an hourly basis not a per mile basis.
2. Reward reduced fuel costs by paying the trucker a share of any fuel savings from increased FE.
3. Road trains. A semi pulling three trailers in tandem doesn't burn significantly more fuel than a semi pulling a single trailer.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-23-2008, 06:04 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

To those that choose to go slower and slower, from a person who used to drive fast, all you do is really piss off the person behind you to the point that you increase the danger, assuming no overtaking opportunities.
I have been known if the person was carrying on about tailgating when I was well back to overtake if held back for long distances at 20~30 kph and stand on the brakes.
If they maintained their original speed no problems but progressively slowing down......
Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #23 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
jamesqf -

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
NRA bumper stickers :-)

Though for some reason I never seem to get extreme tailgaters. I don't drive all that slow, and on mountain roads I always use the turnouts. After all, I've been on the other side often enough.
Hee hee hee, that's what I was thinking. Of course, maybe I could fool them with NWA stickers :

The National Waffle Association Sticker from Tin Hat Novelties Tin Hat Novelties

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 09-23-2008, 06:19 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
There's a bumper sticker idea I really liked over at CMPG:

Research Vehicle - Please Pass

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tasdrouille For This Useful Post:
Chuck. (10-16-2010), Jean-Seb (07-02-2011)
Old 09-23-2008, 07:14 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post

Hi tasdrouille--

You're talking about diamondlarry and I have driven his Prius before. With a sicker as big and obvious as his, I have never had problems with traffic when behind the wheel of his car. We've used his Prius a few times for fuel economy challenges during CincyMPG meets and usually the Priuses get harassed by angry and impatient speeders who could have gone around at any time

With regards to tailgaters, it depends what theyre doing. Assume in all cases that the tailgater could easily go around since 90% of my driving is on a six-lane Interstate:

If it's a woman on the phone (this is 60% of all tailgaters) they'll get in close and then fall in line. I'll ignore these unless there's clear signs of impatience back there.

If it's a hotrod in a lifted pickup or a ricer then I'll coast down and bleed away speed until they get the idea.

If they use the horn I roll down the window and point my thumb out towards the next lane over, clearly and obviously.

The trigger that causes me to snap, especially at night, is hitting the flashers repeatedly. I'll probably brake check any urban cowboy who tries that **** on me. If they persist then I call 911 (which I've only had to do once, and that was to report a drunk driver who was tailgating).
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #26 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
I just looked at the post here about the VX with the Kammback and noticed the " Baby on board " sign.

I wonder if this would work better than an NRA sticker, since that just asks for road rage ( and especially spraying water or slamming on your brakes. That would make even me mad .)

I hope you guys are just talking 'Macho' talk. If you guys really do spray people or do those other tricks, you are just asking for bad trouble that you will seriously regret !

Personally, I hate people ' breathing down my neck ' by tailgating me. I usually speed up just a few miles per hour, or just gradually slow down to a crawl over around five miles of distance.
The legal method is to do this, and it usually works.

So my gas mileage will go UP if I am tailgated by an semi or SUV?
I always thought it was the opposite. The car in front has the added load of the drag on the vehicle in its wake...right ?

Last edited by Cd; 09-23-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
How does an NRA sticker ask for road rage any more than any other sticker? I do see your point about brakes or washer fluid, though.

Old 09-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

El Camrino - '90 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 32.47 mpg (US)
Oh, about people following helping your mileage...

By having a car behind you, it cuts down on the air vacuum created when there is nothing behind you. It essentially cuts down on one of the two sources of that kind of drag. That's kind of how I understand it from the little bit of reading I've done on the subject.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:08 PM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Bluesmobile - '08 Mazda B2300 2WD
90 day: 22.62 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdrouille View Post

I like the one in dentprone's avatar here:
Code:
         BACK OFF
Before I make you REALLY late

Old 09-23-2008, 10:29 PM   #30 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Everybody's different, so there's no pleasing them...

If you're tailgated on a 4-lane road by any vehicle, they should pass. Otherwise, ignore them and focus on the Scangauge.

In a twist of reverse-Psychology, if safe truckers know they are being tailgated, they will slow to a ridiculously slow speed, so you have to pass. Anyone who attempts the silly act of drafting will learn this fast. If they get rear-ended by the vehicle behind them, they will likely get punished by their employer. Plus, they can't plan on lane changes if they know someone may fly around at the last second, unseen.

You have to read the situation. The vehicle may be exiting the highway immediately and the driver feels the need to maintain a self-respectable speed and ride your arse. If the passing lane is open, take it and let them pass on the right. You're not going to change people's minds on FE in 30-seconds or less. You're forgotten in seconds.

Otherwise, it could spiral into a "situation".

RH77

EDIT: I used to drive an '86 Cherokee that would squirt a perfect stream onto the hood of tailgaters (busted rubber hose to the wiper). It was fun with people you knew, dangerous with people you didn't. Then there was the '88 Voyager that squirted pedestrians inadvertently...

_
_

Last edited by RH77; 09-23-2008 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: edit
Reply  Post New Thread