Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2019, 07:30 PM   #81 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I remembered the wrong title and needed to wade through the other threads that I created, some of which involved the environment, but I am sure that I am thousands of messages behind and the better person for it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #82 (permalink)
Not Doug

I visited the school and met the principal and front office staff. They seem nice and I accepted.

My new supervisor said she requested a little more pay.

$4.50 a week worth.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:40 PM   #83 (permalink)
Not Doug

From what I can tell, my second job (W-2) will about pay the taxes on my first job (1099), so I think that I will open a high-yield savings account, have the new job deposit directly there, and just leave it alone until I need to pay taxes.

I may earn $70.00 in interest.

T-Mobile has a savings account which currently pays 4% interest, but once you exceed $3,000, you only receive 1%.

It does not sound like you earn 4% on the first $3,000 and 1% on the rest, so I am not sure that it would make sense to switch savings accounts on the third month. VioBank currently offers 2.52%.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:23 AM   #84 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Congrats on the new job!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-23-2019)
Old 07-30-2019, 01:26 PM   #85 (permalink)
Not Doug

Here we go again...

With my last school job I paid bills with my credit card (0% introductory APR) and saved money for a new checking account that would pay interest. I do not know why I was waiting for this, I could have earned interest the very first month. I mentioned opening a new savings account for this latest job, but I keep forgetting the current "best" bank for that.

Vio Bank still has the best interest rate, although I found this checking account: Consumers Credit Union 5.09% Rewards Checking

I only expect to earn about $1,350 monthly with this job, so not only might I not bring home enough to cover the $1,100 I need to spend each month, there would definitely not be anything left to accrue interest, while I would start saving money in my Bank of America checking account.

The consensus on reddit seems to be this account is not worth the trouble.

If I deposited $1,350 each month and earned 5.09% interest, I would have earned $40.59 by the time I would need to pay taxes. I am not sure how much work I would need to put into earning that $5.07 a month on average, but it does seem unnecessarily complicated.

I would earn $1.97 in my Navy Federal savings account with 0.25% interest and $19.97 in Vio Bank with 2.52% interest--if it holds.

I like the idea of putting money into a different bank to make sure that I have it for April 15th, but I need to see if I can deposit to a savings account.

I went back to the school yesterday and met my new supervisor. She drove up to reevaluate a student and I chatted with her and the special education teacher.

Both seem nice. So far the paperwork seems more logical than Page and my current employer['s current requirements].

My supervisor did not feel comfortable estimating how many students I will roughly have, but they had twenty last year.

Twenty.

They are only half-hour sessions!

However, I will see some twice a week, and I will have guaranteed hours, so I guess that I will be reading my textbook at work.

My supervisor waited until I had submitted over a weeks' worth of notes and then complained that all of them had errors, she "had to" reject most of them.

It seems like she tells me "I had to reject" more than anything else.

I do not know what alleged errors she approved, but so far the ones she claimed were ridiculous. She said that my writing was unprofessional and inappropriate, I wrote the way that I talk (which is professional and appropriate), and she demonstrated a complete ignorance of my clients and their level of cooperation. So, she would tell me that something I wrote was bad and I should feel bad, I would search through the four paragraph abomination to find that phrase, ignore her irrelevant suggestion, and expand what I originally wrote so it should be clear to someone who only pays enough attention to try to find faults.

In order to work full-time for the school I would need to pick up hours as a bus driver or classroom aid. The latter would pay minimum wage and the former would pay somewhat better, but not as well as a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant.

So, until I can get into grad school, these seems to be my best opportunities.
Old 08-04-2019, 04:26 AM   #86 (permalink)
Not Doug

Did things got complicated?! No way!

I am talking to the therapist that got me my second job. I have not looked at job openings since applying to this charter school, but I went to look up something, and saw that a tiny town forty-five minutes away is hiring a full-time SLPA.

This looks like the best SLPA pay that I have ever seen, potentially more than some SLPs earn full-time.

Quote:
Therapia Staffing is currently seeking an experienced Speech Language Pathologist Assistant to fill an opening with a school district located near McNary, Arizona.
McNary is a census-designated place allegedly half an hour from here and ten minutes from the next town. The population in 2010 was 528.

That next town is the only nearby school district, but they do not show an SLPA opening.

McNary Public School District consists of one K-8 elementary school. The older kids go to that nearby town. Wikipedia says the school has 183 students.

So, what makes more sense, a school that small needs a full-time SLPA (SLPAs cannot work without being supervised by an SLP) and offers awesome pay, or this ad that says "SLPA" seven times has a superfluous A?

It looks like someone comingled SLPA and SLP ads.

This line sounds significant: "Supervises Speech-Language Pathology Assistants."

Of course, that next district has an SLP opening, but so do most districts.
Old 08-05-2019, 05:31 PM   #87 (permalink)
Not Doug

The SLPA job posting has errors, but there are two factors that I missed:

1. Staffing agencies charge extra, which they may or may not pass on to the therapist.
2. This is not for the district ten minutes from McNary in my direction, it is for one half an hour the other way, an hour from me.

I do not have any idea what this agency charges, but they are offering over 50% more than the district would pay, which is about normal for a school, and honestly, had I seen the school posting, I would have applied.

The district's posted SLP rate is lower than I ever expected to see, about what Page paid me, and much less than this agency is offering for an SLPA.

I had a phone interview of sorts and we are doing paperwork. He said the pay is actually slightly less than they posted, but they cover 100% of benefits.

I paid $500 a month in Page. If you figure 20 school days a month and 8-hour work-days, that is worth $3.125 an hour.

I would just need to bail on the part-time school job at the last minute, although I never filled out any paperwork. I do not know how many of my clients I would be able to keep.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:14 PM   #88 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
Those gimmicky, high-yield checking accounts are almost never worth the trouble. Besides, if you're looking for high yields, checking and savings accounts are not the place. The bank that holds your money isn't using accounts like that as investment vehicles, neither should you; if you open a high-yield checking account, you're only getting a portion of the potential return (the bank is taking the rest, that's how they make money), which means your money could be doing a lot better elsewhere.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:14 PM   #89 (permalink)
Not Doug

I keep doing everything for this full-time job as soon as I can. They asked when they could call me yesterday and, since they are three hours ahead of me, I said 0630 our time, and they did. The district is firm they want an ASAP start, so I hoped to have a phone interview yesterday, especially because I did not have any clients. I ended up buying earbuds, wearing them under my hearing protection, and listening to bad music as I mowed the lawn. I did not receive any updates from the staffing agency, but my supervisor informed me she she filled out the survey they sent her. I do not know if it is more a reference request or a skills assessment, but hopefully it was adequate.

They messaged me the first thing this morning and told me they had everything they needed, so maybe that survey was the hold-up. I am supposed to see seven clients today, but I will probably only see three.

My goals are:
  1. To support myself
  2. Help people
  3. Get into grad school

I have been barely making ends meet, but if this job works out, I should also be able to pay off my student loans and credit cards. I have mostly paid down my student loans. My credit cards are at 0% interest for several months.

I only averaged seven hours a week on my last paycheck, so that did not do much for any of my goals, but if I can pick up 56 new kids, and continue seeing seven home clients, that is 63 kids a week! At least three times as many! :P

I do not think my agency would ever get me the twenty hours a week that I need to get into the program that I want, the only one that seems like it would work for me. I expect far more students to apply to on-line programs because nobody wants to move. Everybody suggests those, but I expect them to be even more difficult to get into, although deciding you cannot do something without trying is worthless.

Everything I thought I knew was wrong!

There are twelve on-line SLP programs and when I looked at American Speech-Language-Hearing Association's list, three showed that they accepted students with lower GPAs than I have, while I have a better GRE score than the average they accepted.

I need to apply to them this year!

Arguably it still would have been worth the endless time and money to apply everywhere, but it did not seem like a good use of my resources.

Well, anyway, if I get this full-time job I can apply to NAU's summers-only program, and I am sure that women will finally like me!

I just hate being on limbo I accepted a part-time job offer that, with my current job, would have helped me meet my goals, just not nearly as well. Should I tell them that I may have an offer I cannot refuse? I am also slacking with my first job due to my current uncertainty. If I knew yay or nay I would take care of everything immediately. I just do not want to fulfill my responsibilities one day and then back out of everything the next...

...so I am not fulfilling my responsibilities indefinitely...
Old 08-08-2019, 02:02 PM   #90 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts

Reply  Post New Thread