Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #51 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

drawkcaB ti toG

Yes, there was a misunderstanding above somewhere somehow.
And, true that there is no such thing as more energy out than energy in.
There is such a thing as waste which may be recoverable. Devices which raise effeciency are worth testing and what works for one of us should work just as well for others if the experiment is dupicated with accuracy each time.
A good test deals with averages of data over a long period of time. A large data sample will create a better picture. One trip to the gas pump, a 5 mile drive and back to top off the tank is not a good test. Tests should be conducted independently by a reliable party that has credibility and the credentials to report accurate test results.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #52 (permalink)
Grrr :-)

Cherokee - '88 Jeep Cherokee
90 day: 19.44 mpg (US)

Ryo-Ohki - '94 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 50.15 mpg (US)

Vger 2 - '00 Plymouth Grand Voyager SE

Ninja - '89 Geo Tracker
90 day: 30.27 mpg (US)
"Tests should be conducted independently by a reliable party that has credibility and the credentials to report accurate test results."

NO that is not how you do tests. That is how you VERIFY tests :-) hehe

yes a large data sample is critical and repeatability is critical.

more important is being able to "isolate" a change and attribute it to what your doing and not to "some other" random variable.

"There is such a thing as waste which may be recoverable."

but that only increases efficiency. never over 100% :-) whatever you do will always be lossy. ie more in than out.

we got this great idea to reduce base drag - lets use exhaust heat to turn water to steam to "fill" the suck zone.

yeah I did the math. I would need about 225 gallons of water per hour of driving AND enough BTU's from the engine to make it all STEAM. ahh yeah no thats not going to work :-) hehehe neat idea though.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #53 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Nameless - '06 GMC Canyon
90 day: 37.45 mpg (US)

22 Maverick - '22 Ford Maverick XL
90 day: 42.77 mpg (US)
After suffering through undergrad thermodynamics, the professor was kind enough to translate the laws of thermodynamics into English.

There are three laws of thermodynamics.

First law: You can't win.
Second law: You can't even break even.
Third law: You can't get out of the game.

The laws of thermodynamics are laws of nature. They cannot be broken. They are why HHO cannot work. They are why any scheme involving a generator on the front wheel driving a motor on the rear wheel cannot work. And they are why DWB helps hybrids get better MPG.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #54 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...total efficiency can never increase when its working products are less than 100%, ie:

100% = 100% x 100%

...but:

99.8001% = 99.9% x 99.9%

...and:

99.999% = 100% x 99.999%
Old 04-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #55 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
English version?
Old 05-20-2011, 06:17 PM   #56 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

i guess i should have read this first before i posted on motorcycle forum, heck i haven't even read all of the first post and i'm replying
Old 07-06-2011, 04:07 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Red - '04 Chevrolet Aveo
90 day: 35 mpg (US)
yay for research methods!

First of all....
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
I LOVE that!

Now on topic...
I'm glad to see that people on the forum have a good grasp on research methods. I taught a research methods class in grad school and it was a nightmare. It's supposed to be the first class taken before any others and the students were almost all juniors or seniors. They thought it was a waste of time and it drove me nuts!!! It's this type of thing that you guys are talking about. It's so so so important! Did this addition/deletion make a change in mpg or not? Is the difference big enough to be a difference? Is it because of something other than the addition/deletion?

I really do appreciate people doing the A-B-A testing and reporting whether they're using their scangauge or whatever to measure mpg. I know A-B-A is time consuming and difficult. That's why I haven't done it yet! I don't really know how either. A bit scared to touch the alternator at this point. I'm still at the crude stage myself: tank-fill-up and odometer for mpg-measuring. Hopefully I can add some good data here at some point!

Thanks for the thread post MetroMPG!
Old 07-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #58 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
You're welcome!

I'm looking forward to doing some testing in my U.F.O. (2000 Honda Insight), but not until I get better instrumentation installed.

The car's factory, resettable fuel consumption display is supposedly accurate, but it only refreshes once a minute, and that's too slow for testing on my preferred 1.6 km test course. And since the car has a lean-burn engine, I can't use a ScanGauge.

So, an MPGuino it will be! (Have one, just need to install it.)
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-06-2011, 06:13 PM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Mercedes 89 D - '89 Mercedes 300 E
90 day: 33.86 mpg (US)

Skodie - '09 Skoda Octavia TDI PD
90 day: 38.84 mpg (US)

1993 Mercedes 300D Turbo - '93 Mercedes Benz 300D Turbo W124
90 day: 26.19 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 9.61 mpg (US)

Crossie - '16 Subaru XV Crosstreak
90 day: 33.34 mpg (US)
Laws of thermodynamics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRMichler View Post
After suffering through undergrad thermodynamics, the professor was kind enough to translate the laws of thermodynamics into English.

There are three laws of thermodynamics.

The laws of thermodynamics are laws of nature. They cannot be broken. They are why HHO cannot work. They are why any scheme involving a generator on the front wheel driving a motor on the rear wheel cannot work. And they are why DWB helps hybrids get better MPG.
Well, it is a sympathetic way to say the laws. However, not being an expert, I have a different opinion, thinking we want to properly test yield results.

First Law: "You canīt win". I would say it is false, we all win using our otto or diesel cars. There is a catch: we take chemical energy from oil.

Second Law: "You canīt even break even". False, we may break even, eventually. This would happen if the energy we use to compress air-gasoline or air and inject diesel is equal to the energy we get out of combustion of these. The engine may spin, but it wouldnīt pull anything. In fact, when real world engines fail, some of them behave like that!

Third Law: "You canīt get out of the game". I think this is true. At least so far. And I donīt see ways to get out in the foreseeble future. But, we may say that someone may create (or discover I should say) new rules for the game, that may open new spaces.

With respecto to HOH, I think it works differently to gas or diesel but it provides energy as well from combustion of H. It also takes energy from a battery to electrolize water into H and O and H, which we can burn in the engine (Otto or diesel). The energy we can get out of HOH seems to be less than we need to electrolize the water.

When we start a petrol or diesel engine we are doing very similarly to a HOH generator: we take energy from a battery to make the thing work. The difference is that combustion of gas or diesel yields a lot more energy than needed to rotate and compress, so we can shut off the electric motor and stop pullying energy from battery.

I constructed two HOH generators. First was very simple and produced a lot of bubbles of gas, which I injected into air input of my diesel engine. However, engine lower their rpms. Current taken out of the battery was about 30 Amps.

Then I constructed a second generator, which produced at least 5 times as much gas as the first, while consuming only 20 Amps. It has a lot more surface, was made of special steel, had a pump to push gas out of the generator (otherwise it fulls the generator with gas). This generator was made of 11 cells of 1,25 V each, which is a lot more efficient.

When connected, the engine lowered their rpms, showing me that even with this beauty, energy spent was higher than energy generated. We may say that efficiency of this device is less than 100%.

But, I donīt see any "a priori" reason why it couldnīt generate more than what it spent. Maybe if we can produce HOH by other means, not conventional electrolysis, we may obtain a higher yield, as with gas or diesel engines.

What do you think?

OldBeaver

Last edited by oldbeaver; 07-06-2011 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: improve
Old 07-06-2011, 07:52 PM   #60 (permalink)
UFO
Master EcoModder

Colorado - '17 Chevrolet Colorado 4x4 LT
90 day: 23.07 mpg (US)
oldbeaver, you are not interpreting the laws properly.

"You can't win" means you cannot extract more energy out of the system than you put in. Truly, you "cannot win".

"You can't break even" means all energy conversion systems have an intrinsic loss (called entropy), so truly, you "cannot break even".

Forget about "HOH". The conversion efficiencies are easy to calculate, and they add up so badly there is no chance of a mileage improvement. NONE.