Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2010, 11:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
insane in the propane

Cloud Car - '96 Dodge Stratus ES
90 day: 39.15 mpg (US)
have messed with a potentiometer on my tps. it didn't change my air-fuel ratio's at all, but it did change my ignition timing, if i tricked the computer into thinking the throttle was closed more then it really was. the timing went up a few degrees. it also lowered the rpm's at which the transmission shifted. the torque converter stayed locked up more, and the engine went into open loop under acceleration a lot less (almost never). all good things for FE.
if i went too far though, the engine would surge and lope and a CEL was triggered, so i adjusted it for best economy at 50mph, and took the pot out and replaced it with a perminant resistor.

Charging system voltage increased to 15.5V
secondary and tertiary 12v batteries in the trunk
on-board battery charger
lights converted to led's
potentiometer controlled tps for ign timing
welded straight pipe in place of cat-cons
removed egr
3 inch body drop
90psi fuel rail & -50% low volume injectors
run 15% diesel 85% gas
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-03-2010, 01:26 AM   #52 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
I see. I usually do those adjustments in the code, but your way could be useful as well. It would make for quick testing.
Does your switch isolate the TPS from the resistor? or does it put them in series when activated?

Also, could you post some pictures of your propane system in your album or in a separate post? I would like to see how you did yours. I'm assuming your ECM uses a MAP sensor ?
My Focus has a MAF, so I'm going to have to do some creative routing to try the propane. I'll have to avoid the hot wire of the MAF.

I have used Propane on older carbureted vehicles for cold starting in winter, and never experienced a backfire. Has your system ever popped on DECEL or any other time? I have some concern because the Focus has a plastic/composite intake manifold.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:37 AM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympiadis View Post
I may give the TPS tricker a try though. I'd like to see just how well it mates with cruise-control on the highway. I wouldn't expect very good results on this Focus though. It has a MAF and very quick adaptive fueling. It's something I'll have to try to know for sure.
One of my major issues with testing is no serious data feedback...this is the first EFI version for this truck. Plus dist...connector...other issues to work around.

Since I run the wires from these two "sensors" inside there is also some slight effect from the resistance of these wire runs.

As far as the TPS mod...it depends on the vehicle...need the FSM to see what type the output is in order to modify it. Ford I think uses frequency or ??...instead of voltage? I think MAF can also be modded. Main thing is to not lean it out too much.

As mentioned I really suspect that a vaporizer combined with these mods would result in some mpg gain...but I'm slower than molasses getting things done....testing fatigue.

The idea being to drip a small amount of gas from the return line on EFI or from line to the carb otherwise...into the PCV circuit and through 7-10' of fuel resistant rubber tubing to the intake...cold vapor...the gas temp never gets above 100F or so. I'm having issues with the relatively crude valve closing up on me...they do make lab quality sensitive and consistent true needle valves for around $25 or so. I also use a PCV jar in this line at a low spot to be able to observe any liquid gas collected.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 08-03-2010, 12:57 PM   #54 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
C3H8 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3H8 View Post
have messed with a potentiometer on my tps. it didn't change my air-fuel ratio's at all, but it did change my ignition timing, if i tricked the computer into thinking the throttle was closed more then it really was. the timing went up a few degrees. it also lowered the rpm's at which the transmission shifted. the torque converter stayed locked up more, and the engine went into open loop under acceleration a lot less (almost never). all good things for FE.
Since a lot of people can't directly control when their auto-tranny shifts, this sounds like a neat mod.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-03-2010, 08:13 PM   #55 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3H8 View Post
96 stratus "es" v6 auto-stick
supplementary propane injection
injector kill switch, alternator kill switch
on-board battery charger
removed egr
3 inch body drop
run 15% diesel 85% gas

In Los Angeles, smog was terrible. There wasn't sufficient rain to make the acid rain that cleans the air. This picture was taken shortly before I was born in the city I was born. Asthma has been a scourge in my life since.

So tell me, why is it acceptable to disable pollution control devices, including removing the catalytic convertor, for the sake of saving a couple dollars in gas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.

Last edited by ShadeTreeMech; 08-03-2010 at 08:18 PM..
Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #56 (permalink)
insane in the propane

Cloud Car - '96 Dodge Stratus ES
90 day: 39.15 mpg (US)
Ok i get it. some of you have a problem with some of the things i have done to my car. If you don't like it fine, but why muck up a perfectly good thread about the coolant temp sensor? I'm asking people like mwebb, ShadeTreeMech, etc to try and keep it on topic. If you guys have a problem with egr, diesel, cat cons, etc. why not pm me, or at least make a separate thread about it. why do we need to muck this thread up?

STM, you have a pm coming.
on-board battery charger
removed egr
3 inch body drop
run 15% diesel 85% gas
Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Alien Observer

highcountryexplorer - '86 Nissan 720 KC 4x4 ST with fiberglass cap
90 day: 21.78 mpg (US)

Elroy - '03 Ford Focus ZX3 w/Zetec DOHC engine
90 day: 32.89 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post

In Los Angeles, smog was terrible. There wasn't sufficient rain to make the acid rain that cleans the air. This picture was taken shortly before I was born in the city I was born. Asthma has been a scourge in my life since.

So tell me, why is it acceptable to disable pollution control devices, including removing the catalytic convertor, for the sake of saving a couple dollars in gas?
There are other considerations when honestly computing the "pollution" contribution of a vehicle?

It takes energy and it's accompanying pollution to find oil and refine and ship gasoline...and a large war machine to guarantee a continuing supply. You'll notice that he has
doubled his mpg from the EPA mileage for this car?

I'd guess that on a per mile basis he is putting out less pollutants than the OEM setup...not to mention 1/2 the pollution costs leading up to the gasoline's actual use. That 100% increase in efficiency comes from somewhere?

On the other hand...I sort of doubt that running with no converter actually helps mpg much.

Forty-six percent of Americans believe in the creationist view that God created humans in their present form at one time within the last 10,000 years. GALLUP POLL
Old 08-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

RaceJeep - '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ) 5.9 Limited
90 day: 13.62 mpg (US)
Good point. And yeah, removing the cats has very little effect on gas mileage. Most of the minimal effect it does have could be achieved by swapping in an aftermarket high-flow cat to maintain emissions compliance without making a noticeable difference in FE.

Typical driving: Back in Rochester for school, driving is 60 - 70% city
Old 08-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #59 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
because you are wrong

Ok i get it. some of you have a problem with some of the things i have done to my car. If you don't like it fine, but why muck up a perfectly good thread about the coolant temp sensor? I'm asking people like mwebb, ShadeTreeMech, etc to try and keep it on topic.

If you guys have a problem with egr, diesel, cat cons,

etc. why not pm me, or at least make a separate thread about it. why do we need to muck this thread up?

that one is easy to answer >

because i do not want some one to read this , (who know s even less than you do about these subjects)
to think that what you are doing is legitimate or will provide the
as of yet UNdocumented
FE enhancements that you claim it will.

now
you may call me names and attempt to insult me ... which does not in anyway make your blarney more credible .
or
provide the documentation to support your claims .
understand
your claims are not supported by theory , which you do not seem to understand ,
provide FACTS to refute the theory IF you are able

if not , your blarney remains UN credible
sorry , that is just the way it is .

Last edited by mwebb; 08-05-2010 at 01:04 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 08-05-2010, 01:45 PM   #60 (permalink)
oldschool

White2003Focus - '03 Ford Focus SE 4-door sedan
Team Ford
90 day: 38.53 mpg (US)

White2001S10pickup - '01 Chevy S10 extended cab LR
Last 3: 24.51 mpg (US)

1989DodgeOMNI - '89 Dodge Omni
Last 3: 30.38 mpg (US)

1991ChevyC1500pickup - '91 Chevy C1500
Last 3: 24.03 mpg (US)

White1986Irocz - '86 Chevy Irocz LB9
Last 3: 30.14 mpg (US)

1999 C5 Corvette - '99 Chevy Corvette

2008 Infinity G37 - '08 Infinity G37
My MPG results from the CTS tricker based on 8 basline data points (per leg), against 3 data points (per leg) post-CTS tricker:

My daily commute has 4 legs, but only #1 and #3 are from a cold start (where the CTS tricker is applicable), and both are the exact same terrain path, - the only difference being that #1 is in the morning and #2 is afternoon (warmer temps).

Leg #1 +6.05% MPG
Leg #3 +9.71% MPG

I'm not sure why leg #3 does better, but the numbers will probably level out more as I get more data points.
The actual coolant and air temps are significantly higher at the end of the afternoon leg, but that was true before the CTS-tricker as well.
I would've guessed leg #1 would show more gain, but time and the data will tell.

I'd love to jump into the EGR discussion in another thread. I don't want to clutter this one.