Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2014, 07:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

If steam engine cycles were implemented would the average Joe refill water every day?

If water steam cycles were implemented for higher engine efficiency would the average Joe remember to refill water every day?

If sea water could be used in steam systems in cars driven on arid lands could then cars actually prevent or reverse desertification?

Water vapor cycles can be either

Six stroke engine
Six-stroke engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Blowing water in the exhaust to boost turbo power recovery
or just Steam turbines
Steam turbine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

External combustion engines
External combustion engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Steam engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Other advanced steam technologies
Advanced steam technology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-01-2014, 09:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,527 Times in 2,801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big time View Post
If water steam cycles were implemented for higher engine efficiency would the average Joe remember to refill water every day?
I wouldn't see why not.

Quote:
If sea water could be used in steam systems in cars driven on arid lands could then cars actually prevent or reverse desertification?
No it wont. That much water vapor would be a fart in the wind. I have been to places in africa and the middle east where its very humid all day and night. Just because its desart doesn't mean its dry.

Quote:
Blowing water in the exhaust to boost turbo power recovery
That wont work. Turbochargers are heat engines.
You use that heat to do work. It can drive a turbine or boil water.
Boiling the water is work, if you boil water before the turbine so much sensible heat will be lost to latent heating of the water the exhaust stream wont have a high enough temperature to expreance much of any temperature drop when it goes accrost the turbine, there for wont be able to do any work.
Turbochargers already boost fuel economy by up to 20% on diesels.
Old 03-01-2014, 11:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I wouldn't see why not.

No it wont. That much water vapor would be a fart in the wind. I have been to places in africa and the middle east where its very humid all day and night. Just because its desart doesn't mean its dry.

That wont work. Turbochargers are heat engines.
You use that heat to do work. It can drive a turbine or boil water.
Boiling the water is work, if you boil water before the turbine so much sensible heat will be lost to latent heating of the water the exhaust stream wont have a high enough temperature to expreance much of any temperature drop when it goes accrost the turbine, there for wont be able to do any work.
Turbochargers already boost fuel economy by up to 20% on diesels.
Turbochargers are /pressure/ engines, not heat engines. If the water evaporates while crossing the face of the turbine, the steam expansion rate creates a higher pressure differential across its face, thus increasing the power by which it can be driven. The heat is completely circumstantial to this process.

Old 03-01-2014, 11:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
As I vaguelly recall water expands about 1600-times in volume between its liquid and vapor states (assuming equal temperature and external pressure)...explaining why something that weighs 8.3 lbs/gal in liquid form becomes "lighter-than-air" in vapor form.
Old 03-01-2014, 12:45 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Both you and Old Tele man are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Turbochargers are /pressure/ engines, not heat engines. If the water evaporates while crossing the face of the turbine, the steam expansion rate creates a higher pressure differential across its face, thus increasing the power by which it can be driven. The heat is completely circumstantial to this process.
The turbocharger, like all turbines, are mass flow engines. Heat and pressure do work to move a mass of working fluid through the turbine producing power. Think of the turbines in a hydroelectric dam.
Old 03-01-2014, 01:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post
The turbocharger, like all turbines, are mass flow engines. Heat and pressure do work to move a mass of working fluid through the turbine producing power. Think of the turbines in a hydroelectric dam.
I think you just proved his point. A hydroelectric dam uses pressure from the reservoir to run the turbine. From what I know, most lakes are not hundreds of degrees, showing why pressure is the important factor.

EDIT: I didn't see the 'title' of your post, that's exactly what you did!
OP: I don't think people would remember to add water everyday. We might remember to do it, but the average Joe would probably not. Think about how many people forget to change their oil or coolant or trans fluid. Now they have to do it every day?!?! Unfortunately, I just don't have faith...

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 03-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
[QUOTE=Christ;413214]Turbochargers are /pressure/ engines, not heat engines. If the water evaporates while crossing the face of the turbine, the steam expansion rate creates a higher pressure differential across its face, thus increasing the power by which it can be driven. The heat is completely circumstantial to this [QUOTE]

If this worked why isnt it in use on large turbodiesel power generators, ship engines or gas turbine power plants?

I know some engineers I can pitch this idea to. I already know their first reaction will be to laugh at me.

Not to mention the idea of having liquid water droplets in contact with the turbine is a bad idea. Causing drag, erosion things things you dont want.
Old 03-01-2014, 07:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Question would be what do people do when they run out of NOS or meth? You know, for a chemical intercooler not getting high.
Old 03-08-2014, 11:42 AM   #9 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

SUV

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai

SUV
I pitched this idea to my engineer, after a long awkwardly long peroid of laughter, a string of obscenities which cant be posted her his only responce I can repeat on here is "some one failed thermo".

The idea that heat is circumstantial to a turbochargers turbine is laughable to say the very least.
If it isnt why are all turbine calculations done with temperture differential?
Old 03-08-2014, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
I pitched this idea to my engineer, after a long awkwardly long peroid of laughter, a string of obscenities which cant be posted her his only responce I can repeat on here is "some one failed thermo".

The idea that heat is circumstantial to a turbochargers turbine is laughable to say the very least.
If it isnt why are all turbine calculations done with temperture differential?
heat is circumstantial to pressure. The temp differential calculation gives you an idea of how much pressure is generated using the temp diff across the face of the turbine.

Turbines are not heat engines, they are pressure differential engines. Your 'engineer' is mixing up principles.

If you don't believe me, put a vacuum cleaner nozzle on the exhaust out port of a turbo, or just blow compressed air through the turbine inlet.

BUT PRESSURE AND TEMP DIFFERENTIAL BLAH BLAH BLAH

No. Just no. If you wanna try it again, blow some compressed propane through it. You'll not only freeze the turbine blades from the complete lack of heat energy in the propane as it vaporizes, but it will spin and create discernible boost if piped into a closed environment.

Heat is not the determining factor in a turbocharger's performance. Pressure and flow are. The heat is circumstantial, but not necessary.

BTW - I've seen some very low compression competition engines feed compressed air to the turbine to spool it while starting up. Typically 2 stroke engines where the OE supercharger has been replaced with a large frame turbocharger.

Lets also keep in mind that not all turbines operate using heat as a source of energy, and thus, since all turbines operate on fundamentally the same principle, turbines, by default, can /not/ be necessarily heat-driven engines as a primary function.

So, I reiterate - pressure differential, not temperature differential, is the primary factor.

Reply  Post New Thread