Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2019, 01:32 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Iowa Registration is based on List Price, EV's included unless owned before 1-1-2014 then $15/year, 1% for the first 7 years, down to .75% next 2 years, then .5% year 10-11 then $50. Plus a weight penalty of $.40 per hundred lbs.

So a $80,000 tesla would already be $824 annual registration. The State would have also collected around $5300 at the initial sale. No state EV incentives. Odd thing is both of my Rogues have the same MSRP.

Don't forget about the $0.184/gallon in federal gas tax.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2019, 02:17 PM   #12 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
I've said it many times before, but funding infrastructure based on how much petrol is consumed is ludicrous. Funding it based on miles driven might be slightly less ludicrous, but it still is because everyone depends on infrastructure even if they don't drive at all.

Infrastructure funding should be secured the same way all the other things we consider to be vital government services; through regular means of tax collection (income tax or sales tax).

The problem is that various agencies have competing agendas. DOT doesn't care about environmental quality and is largely funded by consumption of fossil fuels. Environmental agencies don't care about infrastructure funding, and only want the highest quality environments they can.

If we want to reduce fossil fuel consumption, it should be taxed at a higher rate, and that tax should have nothing to do with whether or not infrastructure gets adequately funded.

Here's a breakdown of tax by state, including federal taxes:

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 05-13-2019, 05:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I've said it many times before, but funding infrastructure based on how much petrol is consumed is ludicrous. Funding it based on miles driven might be slightly less ludicrous, but it still is because everyone depends on infrastructure even if they don't drive at all.

Infrastructure funding should be secured the same way all the other things we consider to be vital government services; through regular means of tax collection (income tax or sales tax]
Gas tax is the only modern tax miracle pushing efficiencies to near 100%

Fees are rarely over 50% efficient meaning you need to collect more to get the same effect.

Because gas tax was always considered an energy tax that just happens to fund roads (even by those who wrote it)
It’s intent was maybe not environmental but it was hoped that it would benefit thrift and punish waste and excessive use which it does to a point.

Those who say it’s just to fund roads are mistaken and do a disservice to the amount of thought that went into a tax that was purposefully avoidable but not evadable.

The only real changes needed
1. Gas tax should go up and not be possible to write off as easily, trains must pay 100% for their infrastructure, semis should pay more to motivate change and drive costs onto shipments which changes the economic prospects of local suppliers among many other wide spanning issues, consumers who use the most freight will pay the most as they should

2. Other sales taxes, including perhaps a small supply side tax on crude, again big funding possible with perhaps a small effect on sometimes bad decisions made.

For good of the country registration taxes should be tiered towards size and impact, many non rural areas struggle with traffic and parking , motorcycles, mopeds and even smart cars, IMievs should either have non expiring plates or low cost and 4wd monstrosities that aren’t doing work should be taxed ski high
Antique 2wd manual transmission pickups should be given a pass but newer 4wd bling mobiles should pay.

Start structuring things with thought toward being the least regressive while helping make good decisions for your area and there is half a chance road funding will solve itself while changing the vehicle makeup on the road favorably
Old 05-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

Pope Pious the Prius - '13 Toyota Prius Two
Team Toyota
SUV
90 day: 51.62 mpg (US)

Tycho the Truck - '91 Toyota Pickup DLX 4WD
90 day: 22.22 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,801 Times in 938 Posts
This whole thing is a red herring anyway. More than 80% of Illinois' road funding comes from federal grants, and EVs aren't the reason for the shortfall.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vman455 For This Useful Post:
hat_man (05-13-2019), rmay635703 (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Oh Deer - '03 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 33.97 mpg (US)
1) How do you collect a mileage tax from out of staters who drive our roads "for free" and "cause damage"?

2) Do we charge the same rate for companies (UPS, FedEx, Greyhound, OTR truckers) as we do private car owners? Heavier vehicles with more tires cause more damage.

3) Do we charge private citizens a different rate based on the weight of the vehicle and size of their tires? (My Ranger at 3500 lbs and a big Dodge Ram with his 35" Super Swampers at almost twice the weight?)

4) How do we track just how many miles are driven in state? (My parents are snowbirds and drive to Tuscon for 4 months every year. Will they be charged for all the miles on the odometer that weren't driven in Illinois?)

Too many questions and no real answers. Just another knee-jerk reaction to try and get out of the hole Illinois has been digging for decades.

Old 05-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #16 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Gas tax is the only modern tax miracle pushing efficiencies to near 100%

Fees are rarely over 50% efficient meaning you need to collect more to get the same effect.

Because gas tax was always considered an energy tax that just happens to fund roads (even by those who wrote it)
It’s intent was maybe not environmental but it was hoped that it would benefit thrift and punish waste and excessive use which it does to a point.

Those who say it’s just to fund roads are mistaken and do a disservice to the amount of thought that went into a tax that was purposefully avoidable but not evadable.

The only real changes needed
1. Gas tax should go up and not be possible to write off as easily, trains must pay 100% for their infrastructure, semis should pay more to motivate change and drive costs onto shipments which changes the economic prospects of local suppliers among many other wide spanning issues, consumers who use the most freight will pay the most as they should

2. Other sales taxes, including perhaps a small supply side tax on crude, again big funding possible with perhaps a small effect on sometimes bad decisions made.

For good of the country registration taxes should be tiered towards size and impact, many non rural areas struggle with traffic and parking , motorcycles, mopeds and even smart cars, IMievs should either have non expiring plates or low cost and 4wd monstrosities that aren’t doing work should be taxed ski high
Antique 2wd manual transmission pickups should be given a pass but newer 4wd bling mobiles should pay.

Start structuring things with thought toward being the least regressive while helping make good decisions for your area and there is half a chance road funding will solve itself while changing the vehicle makeup on the road favorably
Everybody always goes after the truckers, and then they wonder why everything is so expensive.

If you tax the daylights out of truckers then ALL goods will become more expensive. Everything you own depends largely on truck transportation to get to you.

Don't get me wrong, I understand that trucks are harder on the road than a car is, but charge them fairly, don't bend them over the barrel to try and subsidize everyone else. Anytime you do that more is lost in bureaucratic waste than could ever be gained by the process.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
But you would be surprised. These are the same law makers that don't know how to use smart phones or the internet for the most part.
* insert cringe facebook hearing questions *
Seems like 95% of hollywood and political office are completely out of touch with the common man.
Also, trust me. No point in pointing the finger to screw everyone else too down to the same level. The DOT registration on commercial vehicles already does that.
I think the biggest issue here is a lot of these states voted at the beginning of the year already and passed... and we the people never heard about it for the most part until now.
I mean at least for me in AR, that brings the savings between a new Nissan Leaf my 2010 Prius down to ~$15 a month. At that point, what's the point?
*insert big oil lobbyist here*
Plus, you have to think. Besides being smooth talkers, most politicians usually aren't very qualified to vote on most topics... But they do it. And we pay them. And we smile anyways.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:15 AM   #18 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayden55 View Post
But you would be surprised. These are the same law makers that don't know how to use smart phones or the internet for the most part.
* insert cringe facebook hearing questions *
Seems like 95% of hollywood and political office are completely out of touch with the common man.
Also, trust me. No point in pointing the finger to screw everyone else too down to the same level. The DOT registration on commercial vehicles already does that.
I think the biggest issue here is a lot of these states voted at the beginning of the year already and passed... and we the people never heard about it for the most part until now.
I mean at least for me in AR, that brings the savings between a new Nissan Leaf my 2010 Prius down to ~$15 a month. At that point, what's the point?
*insert big oil lobbyist here*
Plus, you have to think. Besides being smooth talkers, most politicians usually aren't very qualified to vote on most topics... But they do it. And we pay them. And we smile anyways.
This is why we need to bring back tar and feathers.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:34 AM   #19 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
This is why "career politician" shouldn't be an occupation. It's meant to be a term of service to the people, not a lucrative job opportunity.

Holding office should pay minimum wage; then let's see who wants the "job".

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
IsaacCarlson (05-18-2019)
Old 05-14-2019, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Sport Utility Prius - '10 Toyota Prius II
90 day: 52.98 mpg (US)

300k Sequoia 4WD - '01 Toyota Sequoia Limited 4wd
90 day: 20.19 mpg (US)
I had a whole paragraph typed out but I erased and say I agree, and that we as Arkansans also apologize for bringing the world the Clintons.