Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 03:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to Nden Send a message via Yahoo to Nden
jdm Vtec-E into 92 civic VX (eg)

after a few hours with help of a mechanical buddy I've removed my jdm D15B 1.5L sohc vtec (equivalent to 1.6L usdm D16Z6).

Parts using for JDM Vtec-E D15B swap:

VX intake manifold /TB/AC belt/Alt belt
EX TB/plastic intake air-box w/HKS green sponge filter
various silicone hoses including 4 radiator
96-00 EX oem top 1/2 EM 4-2 painted w/ceramic flat-iron color
ceramic airmass bottom 1/2 EM until find stainless steel or oem bottom 2-1
Innovative Aluminum Polished polyurethane mounts
new fuel filter(often overlooked) + oil naturally changin after 500 miles
new TB & h2o pump.
Sea Foam into cylinders after removing spark plugs/and gas tank
Billstein shocks & Tein luxury springs (back seems too low with now)1.1" drop
Apexi Vafc (gen 1) with Boomslang plug & play ecu harness 2tune
used flex-a-lite style multi-bladed fan for better radiator cooling.

I will also use my dremmel to clean out soot built up in the exhaust port side of the cylinder head. cuz i <3 my dremmel it's my honda-tech name btw
decided not to send into extrude hone the IM.

Pondering a urethane front lip for aero efficiency, or a fat strip of plastic

Taking out the *****-pin where the shift linkage meets the back of the engine block was tough btw. Also the Crank Pulley resists my 10gallon compressor. Will try a chain-wrench if i can find one long nuff (napa had 1 not long nuff).
Pics soon... of empty engine bay

http://www.deantaber.com
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

forgot my camera past few days working with somebody who prefers to work solo..(head-butting) so no pics. Dealt with bad wire-harness, tedious gasket scraping off TB and IM, 2 miss-connected sensors (my bad), my weak attempt at soldering. cleaned out exhaust ports. usual fun stuff doing a motor swap. lack of proper chain-wrench so can't replace the Timing-Belt yet (scary thoughts) and also can't replace the h2o pump =(. good news, all senors/harness connected repaired. Stefanie(stephano) grumble helping me missconnected the back-up sensor on the trans so them back-up lights stay on LOL.

Good news, now have spare jdm 1.5L sohc Vtec (+3 hp than D16Z6 ex/si longblock) and also 2 nice iron exhaust manifolds perfect for home-made-TURBO on D-series!! yeah them really short top pieces 4-1.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

oh ya, she runs ok now. need to adjust the valve-lash and re-check fluid levels.

Old 05-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

el cajon IM too long so i added it to here

They are not as common as the dx,cx,ex,si models that is for sure. VX is obd1 -im not confident on my wiring skills & haven't done a obd1 to obd0 conversion like you desire. AFIK you will need the VX ecu, longblock, IM cuz it has that egr thing on it, 5wire 02 VX harness & o2, and "control box" that sits on the firewall;it has 2 components and a connector. CRX are obd0. Import Auto (Ali owner) charged me $150 for wire harnesshad a vtec sensor missing maybe was yanked off too hard and messed up back-up light connector). I had 2 go back cuz they gave me wrong harness so make sure your 02 connector (looks like 8pins/5wire) and other connectors are good before leaving. U also need a Vtec dizzy, i think even EX/SI will work. ecu is prolly cheaper on ebay/honda-tech ect. i paid $60 for mine a few months ago. I do not recommend the VX tranny cuz the final drive ratio is so fkking tall(?) that 5th gear is essentially not used/a waste.

You should be able 2 bolt up any EF tranny 2 it. The DX is what i have on mine and it has decent accel with not-2-hi freeway rpms in 5th gear. I have some spare MAP/purge (goes on back of IM) sensors, spare alternator/distributor. the lean-burn ecu of 49 or other than CA ecu gets like 5+mpg more than the CA version i gather from my searching. VX, SVOboy and tomO have lots of 411 btw.

wut else can i share with u... oh the VX o2 sensor is placed close to the head in a 4-1 configuration; cat right under to heat up the o2/cat quicker and lower emissions as HONDA designed it. Hard 2 find oem cat that bolts up to the VX EM(exhaust manifold) and you don't want to use ceramic headers like i had on my D15B vtec(1.5L jdm version of us 1.6L ex/si) b4 converting it back 2 VX. Reason being the longer time to properly heat up your wide-band 5wire-o2 sensor and Cat; which can cause you to fail smog. I found a 96-98 EX EM (4-2) with the o2 mount a lil farther down than the VX EM, but cast iron wich will allow the 5wire o2 to heat up/stay temp better @ecology. Unfortunately the lower 2-1 "A" pipe that should connect it down to the flange were all cut off in the yards. Import Auto sold one 2 me for $25(good price) for that lower A-pipe which bolted right up between the top half header/my aftermarket cat. Not necessary but i painted my 4-2-1 oem exhaust with hi-temp paint/including the heat shield so it has a new oem look.

Ok so far mine runs/badly...after erroneously changing injectors & putting back in ones that worked (jdm injectors came with the D15B vtec-E block frmo NIPPON $350) it runs but i think my fuel-pump is dying (272k on my VX). I believe only the FUEL PUMP /steering rack & AC fan are OG parts LOL .
I'd like to later do an ACURA INTEGRA 12.3gallon fuel tank swap to increase my driving range.yes i know thats more weight-my perogative.I have seen a post where its been done with maybe soldering 1wire. Another option is the DX/EX gas tank wich is 11.9gallons. As long as i use the straps/bolts with the intended gas tank, I should be ok. Another + is i might be able to connect the gas-warning light function on my JDM PANDA-CLUSTER (white rpm/gas/water gauges on outside) finally!

Still not fully swapped in my DEL SOL seat rails. Del Slow seat in pass side; but only able to directly swap the door-side rail from my EG hatch so far. May have to grind off 2 stubs which block the Ebrake side rail from coming off the EG seat. Any help on these seats is APPRECIATED ! thanks and have a safe weekend guys/gals !!

Old 05-25-2008, 05:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You do know that the VX uses different sized injectors from your normal honda, right? If you're just swapping them around willy nilly you're going to have issues,

I will have some for sale in like, 2 weeks time, but that might be a little late.
Old 05-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

ya i figured the 2nd set i tried (vtec not vtec-E) might have diff polarity or be peak/hold v.s. saturated (correct if i'm wrong), which didn't squirt. So i put back in the other set and those seem to work better after I installed a new fuel-pump w/strainer $148 auto-zone. Other than my BrakeBooster, the fuel pump/tank are only OG parts left on this VX ROLF!
Then after about 5min of good idle, it started to drop and surge alot...then pffftd out stall. I'll try to find a usdm VX TB which may also be my issue. Since I'm using jdm TB that came with my vtec-E - looks bigger than usdm VX TB. It looks more like a DX TB but wierd cuz this jdm IM has the EGR on it (???). oh yeah i heart jspec ayeeee. above 2k tho it seems to run just fine,pulls decent too. maybe the fast idle out of spec?fiddled too much with that screw requiring flat-head i bet =( sigh. no CEL either after driving about 10-15min.
non-performance related...I applied more generic dynamat under the rear-seats. I got too much left lol. I'll see if i can trade the rest of the dynamat(G) & just spray undercoating or spray-on dynamat to not add too much weight. I estimate I've got 6-8ft left.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

post vtec-E swap pics finally !!

Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lead-Footed EcoModder

Torqueless Wonder - '06 Honda Civic Si
90 day: 34.46 mpg (US)
Was this swap done for the sake of getting a VTEC-E engine in your car? Wouldn't the time/money/effort spent on a swap totally negate any fuel savings you would get from economy-oriented variable valve timing?

Also, what type of ECM did you use? Would this engine with the current ECM pass strict Cali emissions regulations?

------- 100hp/L specific output, naturally aspirated. -------
Old 05-30-2008, 06:37 AM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

It was for 2 reasons, 1) save money on MPG 2) legally smog my car in CA w/o paying $2-300 bribe to smog tech for the jdm version of the D16Z6 (1.5L vtec 130hp) that WAS in my car past 4yrs. And I would still save a few hundred after factoring the swap, which I took into account before doing the swap. I drive 300-400miles a week hiway.
I used a 49state P07 VX ecu for 5spd. Using the VX ecu... p07 and a catalytic converter 2yrs old, and an Apexi Vafc to adjust fuel more with Boomslang PnP ecu harness connector, I think I'll pass.
Haven't smogged it yet due to the erratic idle/stalling. looks like im getting a CEL for my 5wire oxygen sensor too . oh the joys of swapping motors. hope u all enjoyed the pics. i forgot to bring my camera up to homey's house where we did the swap. Somewhere in my HD i have a pic of the swap where i took out the usdm D15Z1 and put in that D15B vtec I just took out. I put 90k on + ~35k from japan= approx 125k on it. It needs new Timing Belt,prolly h2o pump, and oil/valve cover gaskets. $250 its yours. local pick up only...to be posted on new thread after i take pics of it (my cel camera bites).

Old 05-30-2008, 06:38 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

like the obligatory use of blue-silicone hoses in the engine bay LOL

Reply  Post New Thread