Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2019, 09:36 AM   #61 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I’ve had a couple of odd reactions from my TDI over the past month under heavy throttle. The car bogs almost like it is going into limp mode with a huge drop off in power. This lasts for a couple of seconds and then power comes back.

I found a procedure online to reset the drive by wire. Since the reset I haven’t had any weird power loss AND the throttle is linear. No more turbo lag off idle followed by a torque spike at 2,000 RPM. You might want to try it

To reset drive by wire
  1. Push the throttle all the way down and hold
  2. Turn on ignition but don’t crank the engine
  3. Continue holding down the throttle for 15 seconds
  4. Turn off ignition.
That just parks my wipers in the up position so I can remove them.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-19-2019, 10:23 AM   #62 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
That just parks my wipers in the up position so I can remove them.
Weird. It doesn't do anything to my wipers.

On my 2014 parking the wipers in the service position requires:
  1. Ignition on
  2. Ignition off
  3. Press down on windshield wiper stalk.

EDIT: Here is a similar technique for a Touareg

Last edited by JSH; 11-19-2019 at 10:37 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Xist (11-20-2019)
Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 AM   #63 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Obviously big changes in software between years and models, possibly even assembly points. Mine is German made, and supposedly autobahn certified.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:34 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Haven't been in here in quite a bit. Here's an update.

My JSW has been trouble free. mileage anywhere from 42-46. Better when it is hot.

I have put 31K on it since purchase in april.

Absolutely love it.

The only issue I have had was the intercooler icing problem. When you try to start, the engine turns over, then stops as if the battery died. It is because there was icing in the intercooler which melts after stopping. This water collects and is sucked into the intake at start up which hydro-locks it.

It can cause trouble, but didn't for me. After a few tries, it started, ran rough till it cleared it's throat in maybe 5 seconds. I have installed a lower grill pipe insulation block. Hopefully, this will prevent it from happening again.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:39 AM   #65 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete c View Post
Haven't been in here in quite a bit. Here's an update.

My JSW has been trouble free. mileage anywhere from 42-46. Better when it is hot.

I have put 31K on it since purchase in april.

Absolutely love it.

The only issue I have had was the intercooler icing problem. When you try to start, the engine turns over, then stops as if the battery died. It is because there was icing in the intercooler which melts after stopping. This water collects and is sucked into the intake at start up which hydro-locks it.

It can cause trouble, but didn't for me. After a few tries, it started, ran rough till it cleared it's throat in maybe 5 seconds. I have installed a lower grill pipe insulation block. Hopefully, this will prevent it from happening again.
The Jetta's, golf's, and beetle's actually have an updated intercooler available for that, if you are still within the new extended warranty it should be covered.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:44 AM   #66 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Probably the best solution is to drill a 1/16-1/8 dia drain hole through the intercooler pipe at the lowest point and block the lower grill air intake, which you did, then idle for a moment or two to push water out

VW's fixes have proven to not fix the water injestion issue. You're fortunate to not have bent the #3 rod.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 11-22-2019 at 09:51 AM..
Old 11-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Probably the best solution is to drill a 1/16-1/8 dia drain hole through the intercooler pipe at the lowest point and block the lower grill air intake, which you did, then idle for a moment or two to push water out

VW's fixes have proven to not fix the water injestion issue. You're fortunate to not have bent the #3 rod.
You definitely DO NOT want to drill any holes in the charge air system, any boost leaks, even tiny ones can cause particulate filter failure.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:53 PM   #68 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

dang wish you told me that 5 years ago when I drilled mine. oh well have 5 more years on warranty and I think not having hydrolock is more important than a not very probable dpf failure.

BTW IT'S A DIESEL it runs lean ALL the time, kinda a diesel definition so it has no way to care about intake leaks since it doesn't have a throttle valve and has about a 50mm hole in the intake.

Last edited by Piotrsko; 11-22-2019 at 07:01 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Piotrsko For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (11-22-2019)
Old 11-22-2019, 08:30 PM   #69 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well I've replaced several dpf's over the years as a vw tech due to small boost leaks as a result of the overfueling they cause, but what do I know.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
dang wish you told me that 5 years ago when I drilled mine. oh well have 5 more years on warranty and I think not having hydrolock is more important than a not very probable dpf failure.

BTW IT'S A DIESEL it runs lean ALL the time, kinda a diesel definition so it has no way to care about intake leaks since it doesn't have a throttle valve and has about a 50mm hole in the intake.

Wait just a minute. You drilled a hole between your MAF sensor and intake but you are blaming the dieselgate fix because your car doesn't run right?

Reply  Post New Thread