Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Hot rodder eco wannabe

The truck now the car - '04 Pontiac Sunfire SE
KC,MO is signed in

Hi everyone,
I'm the new guy from KC. I've got a 2001 Chevy Silverado Z71 1500 with the 5.3L V8. I've been doing some upgrades, K&N cold air induction, synthetic oils, programmer, helix coil thottle body spacer, smaller side mirrors (I tow a little so I need both). Other than that nothing with aero yet. In winter my truck has been getting 15 MPG but I've bested 18-19 on road trips. I've got a feeling the timing chain has been stretching so replacement is a must pretty soon and hopefully advancing the cam timing (not ingnition/spark timing, programmer took care of that).

Has anyone with a RWD vehicle converted their fan to electrical? What components did you use and how much CFM does it pull/push? How do you know how much cfm you need? Also, does any of you know how to do fiberglass work. I'm wanting to lighten up the front end and maybe add some aero dynamics by raising the hood with the fiber glass to cover the windshield wipers instead of deleting them. Kind of like on the Chrysler Cordoba did.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Adam

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-13-2009, 12:28 AM   #2 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Welcome aboard, sir! I know a few have converted to electric, search around. Definitely a worthwhile ecomod.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
Hot rodder eco wannabe

That would be pretty cool, but money is an issue ( I have a 4 month old). Also, unless battery technology has improved the think the truck would go from 5000 pounds to 10,000 pounds to go the 45-50 round trip to work and back. I think having an electric powered take off would prove efficient.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
I think Ben meant converted to electric cooling fan

Welcome to the site.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 05-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Hot rodder eco wannabe

That would have made more sense if I had more sleep. My little girl is teething right now and doesn't want me to get any sleep. I got a whopping 4 hours last night. Now that that's cleared up, yes SVOboy I have sent a couple emails out to people I've found in the garage asking info about parts and such. As I'm exploring the site (when I have time) I'm getting better/more ideas about what I'd like to do to my truck. EX: for the belly pan I'm getting good ideas how to make one it's just choosing the right material. I'm going to be asking a friend of mine how thin he can make fiberglass panels, then weigh that against 1/16" acrylic (because it's heat maliable) and/or 1/16" lexan. Any suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Depends on the Day

Teggy - '98 Acura Integra LS
Sports Cars
90 day: 32.74 mpg (US)

IMA - '10 Honda Insight EX
Team Honda
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)

Tessie - '06 Acura TSX Base
90 day: 28.2 mpg (US)
Hey Adam, Welcome to EM (from a local).

If you don't do any off-roading, a belly pan is a great idea. I had a chance to see the new F-150 chassis at the Dearborn (Rouge) assembly plant when production began. It definitely needs an undercarriage treatment for optimal FE, but the customer usage concern was obvious. The most benefit is down low for now -- the wiper area is minimal, but every little bit counts.

Any feedback devices available, like the ScanGauge. It's a good driving coach.

On that note, any plans for lowering the vehicle? That could easily reduce the airflow on the down-low. Otherwise, you have a lot of weight to start and keep going.

Best FE to you...

RH77

_
_
Old 05-17-2009, 01:17 AM   #7 (permalink)
Hot rodder eco wannabe

There are no plans for lowering my truck. I do off road it when I go out hunting, but that's only a few times a year. Where do you guys find the ScanGauge? Also, what does it work off of? My fuel sending unit doesn't work all the time and I can't just change the sending unit out. It's apart of the fuel pump also and that's about $500. If the scangauge works off the sender it won't be accurate.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:21 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

95% of all trucks have steel spacers to keep the fram above the chassis. You can drop a few inches off of it as well as a few other places that don't eavily influece ride height(the bed is not the lowest by a long shot). It would allow better undercarriage air dynamics

Reply  Post New Thread