Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #41 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Seen any 4-seat Miatas or Lotuses lately?
I hardly see any Miatas or Lot...i(?)!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hersbird View Post
It looks like under the 2017 tier 3 emissions standards (which phase in from 2017-2025) they may be needing exhaust particulate filters, and then those will need a regen mode just like on diesels. In the end you end up with no MPG benefit and a huge cost addition.
http://sam.abuelsamid.com/2015/09/01...issions-rules/
...and that is why we cannot have nice things...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBlackDuck View Post
And that is why there is so much smog! All these Insight punters need to let go and realise that saving 20 drops of fuel is not worth killing the atmosphere.

NOx and diesel particulates will cost much more in the longer term than a small amount of extra fuel.

Simon
You are blaming mere thousands of people driving cars originally rated Ultra Low Emissions (and still meeting those standards) for a problem caused my hundreds of millions?

Last edited by Xist; 01-02-2017 at 04:22 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
RedDevil (01-02-2017)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

ND Miata - '15 Mazda MX-5 Special Package
90 day: 42.54 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,501 Times in 1,547 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
You are blaming mere thousands of people driving cars originally rated Ultra Low Emissions (and still meeting those standards) for a problem caused my hundreds of millions?
That's Super Ultra Low Emissions for the CVT.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:01 PM   #43 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
That's Super Ultra Low Emissions for the CVT.
Without the lean burn that makes LittleBlackDuck's puppies cry.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:05 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

That's pretty awesome. Might think about trying one out after it proves itself to be a reliable platform.

I bought a 2016 Prius 3 for my wife because she drives 120 miles a day, and she has averaged 60.8 mpg combined over the first 10,000 miles.
Old 01-11-2017, 09:12 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

By now, you'd think that Hyundai would be pretty careful about MPG claims. They paid a price for hyping numbers last time, both monetarily and also by way of a reputation hit. Hyundai has come a long way from low end car manufacturer to one that seems to be producing much higher quality products, with healthy warranties as well.

A lot of manufacturers release cars in Asian or European markets well before they introduce them here in the US. A sort of extra real world test or possibly extra development time, before the product is released into the American Market, perhaps?

Kia is releasing the Niro hybrid sometime this month, a wagon that looks a little like a Crossover SUV, based on Hyundai's Ioniq mechanicals. From what I saw of it for a few minutes one night about a week and a half ago, the Niro is a very nicely equipped hybrid that doesn't look like a hybrid. I don't doubt that both of these products, Niro and Ioniq will compete quite easily with the Prius. You can find a few Youtube Ioniq test rides, including Ioniq EV.

I always wanted a 2 seat commuter car. I missed out on the original Insight. Brilliant car. If it had been produced another year, I could have bought one. That was just an unfortunate set of circumstances in my case. Instead, bought a 2nd Gen Prius in 2005 that returned an honest calculated 50-52 mph through our ownership period. We then decided to upgrade to a 2011 3rd Gen Prius that we still have. A much better road car that has consistently achieved 52-55 mpg through it's life.

Considered a CR-Z, but found EPA mpg a little disappointing. Ended up with a 2nd Gen Insight in 2014 (a leftover bargain 2013 EX model) that surprisingly gets over 50 mpg on a consistent basis. In mild weather, I've recorded 57 mpg from a tank of gas (calculated, not indicated), on several occasions. We use the Prius for long trips and is my wife's daily, while the Insight serves as my car.

I would not buy a 4th Gen Prius. Gen 4 mechanicals are stellar, but the looks are gruesome, inside and out (sorry, but I might be shallow), so we'll keep the 2011 Prius for a while longer, along with the 2013 Insight. The Ioniq will be interesting and a more likable and likely replacement for the Prius, perhaps. Have to drive one first.

I'm really thinking of jumping into EV with Bolt as an eventual Insight replacement. Have to see it and drive it first, as well. Not sure I'm completely ready (or that the EV infrastructure is ready) to switch over to an EV yet, but with Bolt's advertised range, it would cover 99% of my needs, as long as we keep a hybrid to use for long trips.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mainebikah For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 09:38 PM   #46 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Good first post. I say go for the EV if you have multiple vehicles and one of them is capable of the longer trips. My next car will likely be an EV, but I need to see if it will cover most of my work travel needs. I still don't know how often I'll be driving, or how far. Who knows what the charging infrastructure is along the way. I've got a company van for the next year to figure out my routes.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Mainebikah (01-11-2017)
Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 PM   #47 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Charging stations are spreading in many areas. Hopefully this trend will continue.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:27 AM   #48 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mainebikah View Post
Ended up with a 2nd Gen Insight in 2014 (a leftover bargain 2013 EX model) that surprisingly gets over 50 mpg on a consistent basis. In mild weather, I've recorded 57 mpg from a tank of gas (calculated, not indicated), on several occasions. We use the Prius for long trips and is my wife's daily, while the Insight serves as my car.
Hi, welcome!

Yes, 2nd gen Insights can surpass their EPA indicated economy with ease when driven moderately.
As you have a 2013 I hope you are aware of the potential oil consumption problem that some 2012 and early 2013 Insights suffer from.
The piston rings build up a charred deposit and fail, causing oil losses of over a quart per 1000 miles and ultimately engine failure, typically around 60,000 miles.
That seems to happen only in the US and only when the owner fills up with regular, so it seems to be gas quality related.
If you stick to premium you get slightly better mpg and save yourself from premature engine failure.
(more info on that can be found on InsightCentral.net)

I am happy with my 2nd gen Insight, but I would not buy another.
The Ioniq EV would be a logical next step. Its range is not class leading, but it is relatively cheap, one of the lightest and most efficient EV's and not smaller than my Insight in any dimension (not much bigger in any either - makes you wonder).

And then, what range.
The last few years the number of charging stations in Holland has risen substantially so now we can charge almost anywhere.
EV range is much less a problem now than it used to be.
That had a sales effect too; over 10% of new cars sold are EVs or plugins.
The critical point for having a charging infrastructure has been passed, and it shows.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-12-2017 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: Got the year wrong
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Mainebikah (01-12-2017)
Old 01-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Yes, am aware of the ring problem. I haven't really driven very much since I bought it so it's a low miles car and just approaching 10,000 miles on odometer. A couple or three trips a week on errands or traveling to bike rides is normal for this Insight so far. I use Shell regular (top tier), nearly exclusively and change oil once a year, even though oil minder is not quite to 50% each time. Have been monitoring oil level at least once a month when I check tire pressure and other fluids.

Is there an accurate Month/Year of manufacture period correlated to this defect? I'm pretty sure that mine is right in the middle of this, since the manufacture date on door jamb sticker is 11/12 (Nov 2012). Will definitely discuss this with Honda at next oil change scheduled in late march.
Old 01-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 47.72 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
Hi, no I do not have the precise date, but it is 2012 and early 2013s, not a year later as I previously wrote - but you already know.

For reference, there is a lengthy thread on InsightCentral which really sets off from post 75 onwards: Anybody burning oil? - Page 28 - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

After an hour sifting through that I found Honda's Technical Service Bulletin addressing this problem is called TSB# 15-015.
Googling that lifts the lid from the you know.

As for what it takes to fix it there is this reference:
Engine Oil Consumption Exceeds Customer Expectations – 2012-2013 Honda Insight | oemdtc.com
to replace the piston rings with new spec ones that do not have the issue.

Honda's stance used to be to postpone the piston ring swap until the oil consumption exceeds a quart per 1000 miles, which seems late to me; IMHO that causes more damage than needed.
Many Insights that waited that long ended up needing a complete engine swap.

It does seem octane related; stick to high octane (US)91+ just to be safe.
Then, I read one case of a 2013 US Insight that only got top tier brand gas and nevertheless had this problem.
It did not say what octane the gas had though.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to RedDevil For This Useful Post:
Mainebikah (01-12-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread