Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-26-2019, 11:10 AM   #121 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
news.slashdot.org/..../kfc-is-testing-beyond-meat-chicken-in-an-atlanta-restaurant
Quote:
This could mark a triumphant return for Beyond Meat's chicken efforts. It pulled its meatless chicken from grocery stores earlier in 2019 after deciding it didn't meet the company's standards.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #122 (permalink)
Banned

Interesting... I didn't knew they had pulled Beyound Chicken from stores...

In the begining of Beyound Meat company the chicken meat substitute was the big deal, while their vegie beef burger and vegie ground beef was of inferior quality according reviews. I supose they focused the researchs in the improovements for their burger, after Impossible Foods vegie burger became famous.

Beyound Meat's roots, that impressed Bii Gates and turn hin as a major investor, was the texture they could create using soy extracts and a technology developed by University of Missouri. How they got the patent from the university I don't know, but the taste and flavors wasn't the initial kick of the project, but the texture, the chewing really close to cooked chicken breast.

Beyound Meat initial impressive product was the chicken breeast soy version and most people liked a lot, but the price wasn't friendly.

Here in 2010, before Beyound Meat took their technology :

Last edited by All Darc; 08-26-2019 at 01:23 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #123 (permalink)
Banned

Like I said, Beyound Meat took the technology (in 2012) from the research of Missouri University :

https://engineering.missouri.edu/201...umer-kitchens/

"Biological engineering professor Fu-Hung Hsieh’s research into the development of a soy-based chicken substitute with the flavor and texture of the real thing has resulted in his technology’s licensing by the university to Maryland -based Savage River Farms, now known as “Beyond Meat.”

The early video I posted above, from 2010, before Beyound Meat arrive, talked about a lower cowt than chicken meat. Well, it will take long, since Beyound Meat want to profit as much they can over this, and as long the production it's not large enough to the demand, the prices will be still quite higher than chicken meat.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:29 PM   #124 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouthfeel
Quote:
Mouthfeel refers to the physical sensations in the mouth caused by food or drink, as distinct from taste. It is a fundamental sensory attribute which, along with taste and smell, determines the overall flavor of a food item. Mouthfeel is also sometimes referred to as texture.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #125 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I love how the paragraph ends with one word that perfectly describes everything.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24 PM   #126 (permalink)
Banned

Impossible Foods also take color change, smell and smell change when raw and when cooking and cooked, and even the sound of fat on grill or on frypan.

Their burger changes color when it start to cook, while other change less and takes longer. The smell change it's due the heme reaction when cooking, and heme also makes the color and color change realisticly.
The potato protein, liquid and also used to hydrated the soy testured protein, was said to help recreate the seared exterior look and feel.

The sound of fat grilling or frying in pan it's simulated with the coconut fat in very small bit pieces, mixed in the soy texture particles, but this is a very saturated kind of fat and so not healthy. They said the sound it's also important.

About Beyound Meat. If they hadn't licensed the Misoury Universitry tecnology, and the technology was open to any company, we would probably have, at this point, a lot of companies around the world manufactuing chicken vegan meat with realistic mouth feel sensation.

A brazilian company, already manufacturing a second generation vegan burger (taste and feel close to meat), said that plans to create their own heme production process, different from Impossible Burger patented process. Who knows if it's true or if they will suceed in this goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Last edited by All Darc; 08-26-2019 at 07:33 PM..
Old 08-26-2019, 07:55 PM   #127 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
I love how the paragraph ends with one word that perfectly describes everything.
'Texture' is reductive. Is sliminess (for lack of a better word) a texture?

3D printed food will be crotched like a sweater or else the precursors will be cured by UV light.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:58 PM   #128 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,391 Times in 3,365 Posts
In my view step #1 needs to be to identify what exactly in red meat, or beef in particular, is generally bad for health.

Step #2 would be to genetically engineer the beef to have less of whatever it is that is harmful to health.

Step #3 is to grow the meat itself, sans animal.

One Frankenstein sounding idea I've heard discussions about involved genetically engineering farm chicken to have minimally viable nervous systems. Essentially just the functions required to grow meat, with no brain to speak of, including no pain receptors or brain function to process pain. The first question is whether that would be ethical, the 2nd is if it's technically feasible.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (08-31-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 08:47 PM   #129 (permalink)
Banned

Step 1. The bad fats, the toxins present on meat tissue and the heme itself can have some effect on health if consumed a lot. And the antibiotics, the pesticides used to grow the food used to feed the cows, the treatments with topicals to fight parasites, and hormones (ilegal but used).

Step2. It already have no fat tissue. I don't think it's possible to create animal fat cells with low satured fat. It have lower toxins, I supose, since the organism it's not present to acumulate it in large amounts.

Step 3. Maybe they were already working in humans like that, nearly brainless, but they could not manage get pain free.

Chicken would need to eat, unless the organism was connected to feed machines. And to save water and ration the genetic modify chicken would need to grow really very fast.

Maybe it could be easier to just genetic engineer humans able to feel taste of nutella and bacon when eating broccolis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
In my view step #1 needs to be to identify what exactly in red meat, or beef in particular, is generally bad for health.

Step #2 would be to genetically engineer the beef to have less of whatever it is that is harmful to health.

Step #3 is to grow the meat itself, sans animal.

One Frankenstein sounding idea I've heard discussions about involved genetically engineering farm chicken to have minimally viable nervous systems. Essentially just the functions required to grow meat, with no brain to speak of, including no pain receptors or brain function to process pain. The first question is whether that would be ethical, the 2nd is if it's technically feasible.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:21 AM   #130 (permalink)
Banned

Reasons to don't eat on fast food restaurants :

Vagina sauce hot dog :

blob:https://www.thesun.co.uk/455bfa58-90...4-c1edf5069b44

Feminist iron period sauce :

https://kfor.com/2017/01/24/graphic-...re-serving-it/

Organic mineral water, rich in body salts (Burger King water box on Brazil) :

Earth spetial condiment for salad :

Pre-digested chips :

Reply  Post New Thread