Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2019, 03:52 PM   #151 (permalink)
Growin a stash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev View Post
I was pondering the food ethics issues today.

What if we cultivated animals that wanted to be eaten?

What if cultivated animals that liked poor living conditions?
You need to watch/read Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

2024 Chevy Bolt

Previous:
2015 Nissan Leaf S, 164 mpge
The Following User Says Thank You to ME_Andy For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-22-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 PM   #152 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
Quote:
Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakobnev
What if we cultivated animals that wanted to be eaten?

What if cultivated animals that liked poor living conditions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Uplift Universe
The Uplift Universe is a fictional universe created by American science fiction writer David Brin. A central feature in this universe is the process of biological uplift.
Uplift them and then brainwash them?

Old 09-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #153 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ME_Andy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Why?
It is a great book! However, I am not sure that the cows in the restaurant at the end of the universe was in the first book, and I am unsure that any of the sequels were equal to the first, especially the two sixth books--in the trilogy.
Old 09-22-2019, 01:44 PM   #154 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,584 Times in 7,068 Posts
But is it as great as Lil Abner?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shmoo

Quote:
Description
A shmoo is shaped like a plump bowling pin with stubby legs. It has smooth skin, eyebrows and sparse whiskers—but no arms, nose or ears. Its feet are short and round but dexterous, as the shmoo's comic book adventures make clear. It has a rich gamut of facial expressions and often expresses love by exuding hearts over its head. Cartoonist Al Capp ascribed to the shmoo the following curious characteristics:
  • They reproduce asexually and are incredibly prolific, multiplying faster than rabbits. They require no sustenance other than air.
  • Shmoos are delicious to eat, and are eager to be eaten. If a human looks at one hungrily, it will happily immolate itself—either by jumping into a frying pan, after which they taste like chicken, or into a broiling pan, after which they taste like steak. When roasted they taste like pork, and when baked they taste like catfish. (Raw, they taste like oysters on the half-shell.)
  • They also produce eggs (neatly packaged), milk (bottled, grade-A), and butter—no churning required. Their pelts make perfect bootleather or house timbers, depending on how thick one slices them.
  • They have no bones, so there's absolutely no waste. Their eyes make the best suspender buttons, and their whiskers make perfect toothpicks. In short, they are simply the perfect ideal of a subsistence agricultural herd animal.
  • Naturally gentle, they require minimal care, and are ideal playmates for young children. The frolicking of shmoon is so entertaining (such as their staged "shmoosical comedies") that people no longer feel the need to watch television or go to the movies.
  • Some of the more tasty varieties of shmoo are more difficult to catch. Usually shmoo hunters, now a sport in some parts of the country, utilize a paper bag, flashlight and stick to capture their shmoos. At night the light stuns them, then they can be whacked in the head with the stick and put in the bag for frying up later on.

Old 09-26-2019, 10:25 AM   #155 (permalink)
Banned

This guy is always trying to find ways to recreate meats using vegetables. This time he made a very look like chicken hot wings :

But the use of jackfruit as key ingredient... if youtube could deliver taste... wel... I can't trust a jackfruit would taste similar to meat.

Last edited by All Darc; 09-26-2019 at 10:30 AM..
Old 09-27-2019, 12:21 PM   #156 (permalink)
Banned

This method may work to put sunflower oil as small pieces on a burger, but in this case would be small spheres filled with oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 12:34 PM   #157 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'll eat just about anything that can deliver the delight of eating a nice ribeye or prime rib steak.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 09-30-2019, 09:02 AM   #158 (permalink)
Banned

A jury member of a brazilian version of MasterChef, a argentine woman, made a very stinging post against a brazilian second generation vegie burger (similar to Beyound Burger) and used a lot of strong words against it, and called the company who developed it of oportnist lier. She said it was a sh... without tate of meat and with horrible texture and also not health, very processed.

Well, a high level gastronomy jury will certainly be very demanding with quality of food. I don't think she eat supermarket cheap frozen hamburgers.

The youtube reviews about this brazilian vegie burger, which try to recreate meat taste and texture, wasn't that bad, but the best reviews were clear and compared it to frozen supermarket hamburgers, saying it no way had the quality of quality burgers from quality hamburger shops. Cheap frozen burger have artificial flavors to make crap parts of cow (cartilage and nerves) taste similar to meat, in order to try to mask the low quality meat they use. That's probably why some people say the vegie burger taste like cheap real maet burger.
She, the chef jury, attacked vegans, saying if vegans was really vegans they should eat vegetables and not try to find meat replacers to replicate meat flavor and texture.
Another female chef, from other TV show, came in her defence, supporting her.

Well, I think she was very agressive and stinging, despite have reason in some things. She is right about the "new fashion" of fake meat start to claim their veggies are identical to meat, since they are not, just more close than older veggie burgers. There re some opportunism, since the claim it's tricky and are trying to copy the fashion of Impossible Burger and Beyound Burger. But 99% food industry, it's tricky too. Anyway she is right when said it's not health, since most have a lot of sodium and much saturated fat.

But the ecologic reason it's important, and also the idea about harm less animals. The investment in research today, the grown of the vegan market, will lead to greater possibilities in a near future, new flavoer, better ways to flavor things and still reduce fat. This can be important.

I don't eat meat and I didn't bought any of these new burgers. And I'm not fool to wait such burgers to have the flavor and texture identical to meat. Impossible Burger may get very close, but the heme it's as bad as meat heme.

That's why I want to create my own vegie burger, with very good taste, some meat taste but not identical, nice texture and nice chew, using health olive oil and sunflower oil, instead of satured fat. I already found the suppliers of the special flavors (natural from yeast) and one of a protein isolate, and one for the special binder, but I need help from someone who have a company to be allowed to buy, since thew suppliers don't sells for common people. A magistral farm said would help me, but the manager needs to talk with the suppliers, and she is very busy with important things. Not sure if she will still hep me, but she had promissed. Years ago she helped me get a product that wasn't available, bought just for me. Well, I will cross my fingers whe will honor the promesi.

Last edited by All Darc; 09-30-2019 at 09:28 AM..
Old 09-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #159 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Are there beef subsidies making the real Whopper cheaper than the Impossible one?
Old 09-30-2019, 10:38 AM   #160 (permalink)
Banned

On Brazil the Burger King it's not using Impossible Foods's burger but the "meat" vegan burger from a company here called Fazenda Futuro (Future Farmer - transalated to english).

The science always said "veggie meat" it's less expensive. But in reality of bussiness and markets, all quality vegan replacers for meat are more costly. The Missouri university projet, aquired by Beyound Mea,t to produce quality great chicken texture of extruded soy protein isolated, said in early news reports that the veggie "chicken" would allow quality textured yummy "meat" for lower price than real chicken meat. But Beyound Chicken it's more costly, and I bet it will keep this way for a long time.

They will not make the veggie burger cheaper or even equal in price, since they pay more for buy the veggie paty from the veggie meat company that supply it for fast foods restaurants.

On USA I heard the veggie whopper was a little bit more expensive.

What is the price of textured pea protein on USA?
On Brazil I think extruded (textured) pea protein it's only imported, and not produced here, since it cost about 10 times more than soy textured protein. The weird thing is that, still on Brazil, the pea protein isolated it's not so much more expensive than soy protein isolated.

Textured protein it's like a sponge (after let in boiling water ), while isolated protein it's a powder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Are there beef subsidies making the real Whopper cheaper than the Impossible one?

Reply  Post New Thread