Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2019, 11:35 AM   #161 (permalink)
Banned

Some people I ask have dislike about vegan products or about soy products.

Today I found a document (PDF) about the use of chicken skin (fat and not good for health) and how industry uses it, and also many remains of meat when they clean the bones, to produce processed things, as nuggets. They add soy textured protein flour, condiments, flavor agents that mimics meat, a nice box of the final product and the advert of a pretty girls eating it, and voilą...
People are already consuming thing similar to vegan meat, but with crap remains of meat, animal fat, together.

By the way, I'm close to get the yeast extracts, isolated vegetal proteins, and binders to try to create my own health vegan burger with juiceness and flavor similar to meat. No intention to win blind tests, but just to create some yummy and health burger that's animal free.

No garantee to create a burger free of animal suffering, since I'm suffering to get these ingredients.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-11-2019, 05:51 PM   #162 (permalink)
Banned

Vegan shrimp made from algaes :

Algae farm (on ocean) can be more ecologic then land farming. At least I supose...

Last edited by All Darc; 10-11-2019 at 06:46 PM..
Old 10-21-2019, 02:05 PM   #163 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
Dunkin' Donuts is selling their Beyond Meat egg, cheese, and lab sausage sandwich nationwide.

They will sell lab meat at more locations than anyone else. It is their second-most-popular menu item, behind the bacon sandwich. People are buying it all day. However, Tim Horton's stopped selling their lab meat: Dunkin' is launching its Beyond Meat sandwich nationally

Some say that lab meat isn't any better for the environment:
Quote:
“So much money is poured into meat labs, but even with that amount of money, the product still has a carbon footprint that is roughly five times the carbon footprint of chicken and ten times higher than plant-based processed meats,” [Marco Springmann, a senior environmental researcher at the University of Oxford] said.
As the lab-grown meat industry grows, scientists debate if it could exacerbate climate change

Quote:
“Since mid-July, we have seen BK gain traffic nationally relative to McDonald’s with the gains accelerating as we approached the nationwide launch of the Impossible Whopper,” the Barclays team wrote. Our research suggests that, “following the national launch of the Impossible Whopper, BK stores have seen an ~2 percentage point traffic lift nationally, relative to McDonald’s.”
The Impossible Whopper is driving steady traffic to Burger King, data shows
Old 10-21-2019, 04:11 PM   #164 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Darc
Algae farm (on ocean) can be more ecologic then land farming. At least I supose...
Operating in a salt water environment is high maintenance.

I suggest Boring a tunnel from the Pacific to Death Valley, extracting the kinetic and thermal energy along the way and doing it on dry and below sea level.

Old 10-22-2019, 02:33 PM   #165 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
wired.com/story/gelatin-fibers-lab-grown-meat/

Quote:
So, about that cotton candy machine: The carnival version works by heating sugar in a container and spinning it at high speed, flinging the sugar out and crystalizing it into strands, which form into a cloud, usually colored pink. Same principle behind the machine these researchers pieced together—though theirs spins much faster, at 30,000 rpm. And pardon this next metaphor, but the next component is a sort of toilet bowl. “If you put that cotton candy machine upside down in a toilet bowl full of solvent, you could spin a whole lot of fibers,” says Harvard bioengineer Kit Parker, a coauthor on a new paper describing the work.

Old 10-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #166 (permalink)
Banned

The cotton candy technic... not the first time I heard about. Once I saw a scientist saying they needed a technic to create capillaries for blood, to mallow print organs in 3D printers, since the printers could not print capillaries.

But it's nt that simple, but a lot complex. Capillaries are connect, arterial and venous blood have a delicate net :

if they want just to create a texture to deposite the muscle cells (lab meat), it may work. But if they want to create a lab meat piece that will grow as a organ grow, they will not have a result in short tewrm, but would take years or decades. It's important to start such research, since it would allow money from bith field, food industry and medicine, since if they manage to grow meat this way, they will be close to grow a limb.

BUT... the text said it uses pig derived gelatin, so it still use animals, not vegan, and probably the need of gelatin in relation the the lab meat creation it's bad, like needing more pis to produce such gelatin than the lab meat production of meat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post

Last edited by All Darc; 10-23-2019 at 09:18 AM..
Old 10-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #167 (permalink)
Banned

Algae farming it's simple, not underwater, but quite in the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Operating in a salt water environment is high maintenance.

I suggest Boring a tunnel from the Pacific to Death Valley, extracting the kinetic and thermal energy along the way and doing it on dry and below sea level.

Last edited by All Darc; 10-23-2019 at 08:49 AM..
Old 10-23-2019, 09:48 PM   #168 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
The King of Random kids have tried all kinds of experiments with cotton candy. People kept telling them to dehydrate soda, but it just reduced to a syrup. Then hundreds of people told them to make cotton candy from dehydrated soda. I linked the video where they made syrup and they just said "Do it!"

Then my supreme intelligence reached operating temperature. Make hard candy from soda, crush it, and make cotton candy from the powder!

They did exactly that, but as far as I know, they never read my comment. However, people went back and told me "I told you it was possible!"

"No you didn't, but they did exactly what I figured out."

I just cannot imagine them putting a cotton candy machine upside-down in a toilet bowl full of solvent.

Does it need to be a toilet bowl? Can it be a normal bowl?
Old 11-02-2019, 04:46 PM   #169 (permalink)
Banned

I got the vegan flavoring samples from one distributer, but some was missing,like the one for cheese and some condiments. At least there is two umami enhancers, two beef flavors and one chicken flavor. I will make a fast test today, I hope.

One binder supply, after promissed a sample, now refused to send, claiming the company that it's helping it's not a direct food business. At least other company with a very similar binder accepted and said that will send it. I hope so.
The company for potato protein had said that would send me a sample, and also some textured pea protein.

Some nice reading :

https://brisangroup.com/blog/vegetar...avor-chemistry

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics...ce/meat-flavor

Last edited by All Darc; 11-02-2019 at 04:54 PM..
Old 11-05-2019, 02:20 PM   #170 (permalink)
Banned

Good news, one more flavor company will send me samples for more variable mea,t chicken flavor, and this time I will get flavors for bacon plus 3 kinds of cheese.

From the vegan burger companies in USA only Impossible Foods uses really new technology, their Heme created by pattented yeast, that mimics perfectly the heme that there are on meat and gave most of the meat flavors. All other companies creating vegan burger to mimic meat are using modern binders, soy or pea protein textures, and modern flavors.

I hope to get at least something similar to the most second genertation vegan burgers on market.
Soy protein it's so low cost on Brazil, like 1,3 dollars per kg with wholesallers (and 1kg of soy textured protein became 3kg after hydratation and removal of excess water). I was imagining, in case the flavors for meat was affordable, that schools could have more soy protein meals, if kids find as good as meat, reducing costs, and use the money saved to invest in other things.

I plan to add one meat flavor to the basic soy protein, and another meat flavor, some sort of meat broth, to the binder (since the binder releases some water when grilled). This could give a taste of meat and the taste of liquid of meat (like the meat liquid in barbecue).

Last edited by All Darc; 11-05-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread