Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2019, 01:33 PM   #51 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 16,074
Thanks: 4,221
Thanked 5,415 Times in 4,310 Posts
My career arc wasn't so illustrious. I went from (SAT at 99.5 percentile, college graduate, military officer) to being unemployable. There was a nice bump when the personal computer was invented (they'd hire any body that could do the work) and I eventually got to nine years of employment in tech support at Symantec. But at the end I was a clerk in a (recycled electronics) thrift store.

OTOH, my son went from high school to six years in the Navy and hasn't been unemployed since he mustered out. He works for corporations that buy each other out in the Seattle area.

__________________
.

Who controls the memes
Controls the Universe

_________________
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
slowmover (07-05-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 06-27-2019, 01:36 PM   #52 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 437

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 11
Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
My career arc wasn't so illustrious. I went from (SAT at 99.5 percentile, college graduate, military officer) to being unemployable. There was a nice bump when the personal computer was invented (they'd hire any body that could do the work) and I eventually got to nine years of employment in tech support at Symantec. But at the end I was a clerk in a (recycled electronics) thrift store.

OTOH, my son went from high school to six years in the Navy and hasn't been unemployed since he mustered out. He works for corporations that buy each other out in the Seattle area.
I never took the SAT, but I did well on the ACT (32 overall, I think 36 is perfect), and our school told everyone to take the ASVAB as it's 'like free practice for the ACT', and got a 98. I got daily mail from all branches of the military for the 10 years following that, and still get some once in a while.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 01:46 PM   #53 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,901

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 25.55 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.73 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,606
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,314 Posts
I took the ASVAB in middle school and scored 99 in everything but coding speed. Never took any other tests, as I'm not going to pay to take a test when I already know what I know, and others can pay if they want to know what I know.

Went to enlist and was told my ASVAB scores were lost, so I took the test again and performed the same as I did in middle school. Was unemployable to the military for reasons I've shared before.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #54 (permalink)
Redneck Ecomodder
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: North Dakota
Posts: 437

Dent-Mobile - '99 Buick Lesabre
90 day: 22.68 mpg (US)

Red Rocket - '92 Geo Metro Base
Thanks: 11
Thanked 91 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I took the ASVAB in middle school and scored 99 in everything but coding speed. Never took any other tests, as I'm not going to pay to take a test when I already know what I know, and others can pay if they want to know what I know.

Went to enlist and was told my ASVAB scores were lost, so I took the test again and performed the same as I did in middle school. Was unemployable to the military for reasons I've shared before.
Evidently I haven't been around long enough to know. It doesn't really matter though.

The more time I spend at this slow paced job, the more seriously I consider enlisting in engineering school, something I've actually contacted the college about before and they were receptive to having me enroll.
__________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 07:54 PM   #55 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 16,074
Thanks: 4,221
Thanked 5,415 Times in 4,310 Posts
I took an IQ test in high school and for vocation they said I could be whatever I choose, but they wouldn't tell me my IQ because "We don't want to give you a swollen head".

At this point I'd say they succeeded in keeping me down.
__________________
.

Who controls the memes
Controls the Universe

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,476
Thanks: 14
Thanked 362 Times in 327 Posts
Back to the "meat without killing" theme, I want to ask you guys in USA :

Have you tried Beyounf Meat chicken or Beyound Meat burger ?
Or Impossible Burger?
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 09:03 PM   #57 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,901

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 25.55 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.73 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,606
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,314 Posts
No, but if someone offered it to me, I'd eat it. I'm not one to turn down food, even if it's barely food.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Xist (07-06-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 09:20 PM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 16,074
Thanks: 4,221
Thanked 5,415 Times in 4,310 Posts
What I tell people is that if I'm cooking I'm vegetarian (not rilly true), but if someone else is cooking, I'll eat whatever is put in front of me.

Coburg Pizza has an All-Amerrican BLT pizza, with lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
__________________
.

Who controls the memes
Controls the Universe

_________________
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:14 AM   #59 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 7,901

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 25.55 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 28.73 mpg (US)
Thanks: 2,606
Thanked 3,110 Times in 2,314 Posts
I must try it.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 12:54 PM   #60 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Brazil
Posts: 1,476
Thanks: 14
Thanked 362 Times in 327 Posts




Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
What I tell people is that if I'm cooking I'm vegetarian (not rilly true), but if someone else is cooking, I'll eat whatever is put in front of me.

Coburg Pizza has an All-Amerrican BLT pizza, with lettuce and sliced tomatoes.
They said Impossible Burger it's better than Beyound Burger due the "vegan hemoglobine", but the Beyound Meat's product that is a chicken replacement it's said to be the best vegan ticken ever made, very close in texture and taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I must try it.


Last edited by All Darc; 06-28-2019 at 12:59 PM..
  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com