Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

MisFit Talon - '91 Eagle Talon TSi
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 39.03 mpg (US)

Warlock - '71 Chevy Camaro

Fe Eclipse - '97 Mitsubishi Eclipse GS
Ok I just got some good news!!!

I have a friend that lives in Vancouver BC running a 91 Civic with the same type of engine (Vitara build w/Neptune efi)

He has a setup real close to mine except minus the prechamber. I'm going to see what he can get for fuel mileage? This will kind of test the theory if it can be duplicated.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-01-2009, 12:16 PM   #42 (permalink)
naturalextraction

You've hit nail on the head with "temperature". It's all about the laws and theorems of Hemholts, Boltzman Speed theorem, Gibbs, and many others related to thermal dynamics's and constant gas laws. Gasoline being a hydrocarbon chain in the variation of H3 C18 at the pump contains many additional elements that require control in order to maintain consistency. Injectors, even the best available will never be able to disassociate in the means in which to achieve maximum extraction of internal chemical energy. That in correlation with additional controls that need to be implemented that are not part of a typical or even advanced EFI system. That's what my studies and prototype system is about. You, however, have done better than most even at some university levels regarding EFI systems from some university papers I've read. People like Dr. John Heywood at MIT have written some great papers on research that will, I think, give you some help/ideas to refine your current system even further. His seem to be more available through the MIT web site as apposed to some of the stuff from Cal.Tech. Keep up the good work, your on to something in regards to higher mileage gains with your system and better drive ability. Look to make what are not constants, constant and stable. Kudos' again!
PS don't overlook the A/R ratio and trim of the turbine side your turbo especially if your changing it. It will be a-typical in design in order to gain more efficiency at lower A/F ratios. Just a clue Compressor side should be fine. You'll still make plenty of power at normal air fuel ratios as well. I believe you still have room for improvement in terms of stabilization of parameters that seem to effect drive ability and consistency.

Last edited by naturalextraction; 10-01-2009 at 02:25 PM..
Old 10-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #43 (permalink)
naturalextraction

BTW, what are you calling the "pre chamber"?
Old 10-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #44 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Arcee - '01 Honda s2000
90 day: 29.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgfpro View Post
Still testing the temporary crash wrap mods. I just need to figure out how far I want to go with it (kamm back or boat tail).

I finally got it to run at 23:1 and still make good power. Now I'm looking at installing a EVOIII 16g turbo before winter hits. The 15G turbo works so well I'm scared to mess with it.LOL

I hit a new personal best This was done with the FMIC bypassed. So now I'm going to permanently remove it this weekend. When I race the car it will be on E85 so there is no use for it anyway.

If your looking at different engine and still want good power I would recommend my setup.

I have been working on this combination for the last 6 years. In the beginning I was told it won't work because of the low compression (7.5:1) This engine can easily be turned over by hand.

With a FI system and the right combustion chamber and the correct piston and rod combination it can be done.

Yeah it definitely is a intriguing setup, when my motor was running i did have a hondata for it that had yet to be tuned but that got stolen and the motor was blown at the same time.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50 PM   #45 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturalextraction View Post
BTW, what are you calling the "pre chamber"?
It's a secondary combustion chamber. Its this modification that lets the engine run lean without a misfire. I'll show this and explain it more in my write up.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:31 PM   #46 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
I also meter my fuels through the inlet side of the turbo. My key words in all of this related would be dissociation, surface tension and change of state. We run an R&D in this area for hopes of providing a simplified means to modify the ICE for both stationary and automotive ICE's. We at some point will patent the methodology and the fuel extraction devices related to extraction of energy from the fuel prior to as in part to the induction and metering system.
naturalextraction
If am reading this right it sounds like you are heating and mixing the air/fuel mixture in stages prior to it reaching the combustion chamber. I remember Smokey Yunick doing that back in the 1980's with impressive results even though it was never successfully marketed.

Quote:
A friend of mine worked on the Honda Indy team and they would make their own fuel blends. Out of curiosity he took home some to use in his wifes Acura to see how it would perform. Performance was only slightly better but the mileage gain was 3+ per gallon. ( I don't remember the exact number but it was over three) That's significant for only changing the fuel. He's an accomplished engineer and has good methods of testing for consistency and thus I believe his findings.
WOW! I have noticed how in the spring/summer when fueling up with cool fuel on a warm day the fuel mileage is better but it never occured to me that the chemical composition could make that much of a difference.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #47 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
"pre-chamber" = CVCC = Controlled Vortex Combustion Chamber?

...a gasoline-version of the old Diesel PRE-combustion chamber, so the flame starts small and expands as a flame-front out into the larger cylinder chamber.

Last edited by gone-ot; 10-01-2009 at 11:20 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling of VO(R)TEX
Old 10-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #48 (permalink)
naturalextraction

hi itsmedc, I do not use heat absorption by the fuel as Smoky did. There are physics laws regarding absorption and energy loss or gain. This includes the second law of thermal dynamics. Finding the proper balance in the system is crucial for a net loss or energy transfer gain. I did research two years ago and talked with some related to Smoky's system including Shelby. The only one I couldn't and didn't talk with was Lee Iacoca. There were some serious down sides to Smoky's system which I studied for a year to realize some important changes. I figured Smoky new all about the negatives and how to fix them, thus leaving something to come back with after the system was sold,which never did. Many companies do that to sell the proprietary updates for more money to an exsisting invention. I have a device that disassociates the molecules of the fuel prior as well as combine the air molecules to preferably produce a perfect mixture, which is not stochiometeric by typical standards. It can be used to emulsify liquids of different densities more completely and in metered proportion.
I would assume those who really keep good accurate recordings of their mileage will notice sometimes fairly extreme mpg changes from one station to the next. Those who do not record their usage will not typically really notice, bonus for the fuel companies. But don't get me started on what is proposed to the public as "good" and "optimum".

Last edited by naturalextraction; 10-01-2009 at 11:21 PM..
Old 10-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
In Lean Burn Mode

Team Turbocharged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
"pre-chamber" = CVCC = Controlled Votex Combustion Chamber?

...a gasoline-version of the old Diesel PRE-combustion chamber, so the flame starts small and expands as a flame-front out into the larger cylinder chamber.
In a nut shell that's pretty much it.

Old 10-01-2009, 11:28 PM   #50 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...I had a 1984 Civic 1.6L DX manual and it got consistent 42 mpg.

...but, at one time the milage slowly rose to 54 mpg! but, was right on the verge of overheating too. Took it to Honda dealership, and the sage diagnosis was "clogged radiator." ...and it was true!

...about 1/3 of radiator had white gooey calcium deposits, after the radiator was cored and cleaned, the mpg returned to 42-ish mpg.

...the CVCC "loves" to run hot...very HOT! But getting too hot can hasten cylinder wear.

Reply  Post New Thread