Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 01:28 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Camryaro - '92 Toyota Camry LE V6
90 day: 31.12 mpg (US)

Red - '00 Honda Insight

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius

3 - '18 Tesla Model 3
90 day: 152.47 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
Well, until you learn all the commands for every possible action in every possible program, a GUI is a real nice to have.
Either way, the fastest way to figure something out tends to be searching the web, and there are plenty of graphical and command line browsers, so I don't think there's a quantitative difference. All it comes down to is preference.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2009, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
dcb -

Pretty cool. I should do something like this for my Dad, but with a notebook PC, maybe a refurby.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 02-18-2009, 02:24 AM   #23 (permalink)
X-Frenchy: very

scenic - '01 renault scenic
90 day: 43.09 mpg (US)

megane - '97 renault megane classic
Diesel
90 day: 72.53 mpg (US)

dennisius - '06 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 69.27 mpg (US)
Hesitated to reply, but I do so...

Linux, Windows... are tools. These are complex tools you have to learn to know how to use them. A lot of people learned to use Windows as they learned to use a hammer : hit their finger then tried to not hit them again, but never learned correctly, while a carpenter pushes a nail with only a couple hits.

What I love in Linux is the choice. You choose the distribution first. A distribution is a set of programs chosen by a set of distribution developers and a way to manage these programs. Then among these programs you chose the one you want to play with and you can add more of course.

Among the programs you chose, there is the graphical interface. This is often something difficult to understand as with Windows you have the graphical interface from Microsoft and no other one. The graphical interface defines how the windows are handled and how they look. This is one of the most important thing to chose as this will dictate the way you'll have to work with the windows. I'm using enlightenment as I know how to configure it to optimize my work. Now I use a graphical interface to run a couple graphical programs (firefox & openoffice) but also to run tens of text terminals (xterm) permitting me to access remote systems that have themselves a graphical interface or not.

The other important thing is the way the Linux distribution manages the programs. This is generally done through binary packages and dependences. You say which program you want and the system installs all the packages the package you want depends on. But another thing often difficult to understand is that the programs installed by binary packages are compiled as the maintainer of the package decided to. This is why there is some distributions that permit you to decide how to compile things or at least to tune the compilation. I'm using gentoo as this is the distribution that let you the most choices, except the "diy" distributions. With some packages (noticeably with gnome and kde programs) I can decide to depends on tons of other packages (miscellaneous libraries, daemons...) or only a few.

Some distributions are more user friendly than others. Mandriva and Ubuntu are certainly those permitting a newbie to do most things. Then there is some more "professional" distributions with possibilities of professional support. Then there is some more "hacker" oriented distributions such as gentoo and Linux from scratch. Then there is more specialized distributions such as embedded ones, or education oriented ones, or games oriented ones, or...

So never talk about "Linux" as there isn't a single Linux. The single term Linux indicates the Linux kernel that is developped by Linus Torvald and hundred of other programmers. This is the single thing which is common among all Linux distributions, but each one compiles and tunes it differently.

The guy that made me discover gentoo is using it in ways totally different from mine and I certainly can't use his computer without having to tune it as I like to use it.

Talk about a distribution, talk about a graphical interface, talk about a program...
Before all talk about choice because you have the power to choose what you want and how you want it.

Denis.
Earth and health are priceless, so are kilotank and AT-PZEV
Best Mégane tank: 1268.9mi @ 77.847 MPG(US)
2008/06-2011/10 saving:
  • 5725.5 kg CO2 (5342.6+382.9)
  • Diesel / Money: 42.17% = 2446.25€ = 3357.26$

---
megane : thread - kill switch.
Old 02-18-2009, 02:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
Ubuntu uses GNOME. It's pretty un-Windowslike. Perhaps you're thinking of Linspire?
No, I don't think so. One of the labs I visit occasionally has Ubuntu installed on a bunch of machines, and (to me, anyway) it looks exactly like Windows with a different color scheme. Vista's a sort of aqua/green IIRC, while Ubuntu's orange with a sort of bird-like design, but both have their "desktop" icons, a start button at the lower left, a wierd little button bar along the bottom that pops up irrelevant messages at random times...
Old 02-18-2009, 03:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
No, I don't think so. One of the labs I visit occasionally has Ubuntu installed on a bunch of machines, and (to me, anyway) it looks exactly like Windows with a different color scheme. Vista's a sort of aqua/green IIRC, while Ubuntu's orange with a sort of bird-like design, but both have their "desktop" icons, a start button at the lower left, a wierd little button bar along the bottom that pops up irrelevant messages at random times...
Well, I'm using Ubuntu right now, and it isn't anything like Windows (except, of course, for having, you know, Windows and cursors and stuff.)

On the other hand, I was just looking at screenshots of OpenSuse, which uses KDE, which definitely looks like a Windows knock-off.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:54 AM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Ruint Taco - '19 Toyota Tacoma SR Double Cab
90 day: 23.76 mpg (US)
Another Ubuntu user here.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM   #27 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
So to the users of Linux - I have started poking around on web for dual boot install but using 2 hard drives ( 1 for windows - and 1 for Linux) everything i have seen so far indicated that it is possable - but can be tricky - any one here do this and have first hand experience?
Steve

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Old 02-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #28 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
I have done a crude version of that where I use the cmos setup to select the boot drive.
Old 02-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #29 (permalink)
Eco Noob

Red Rover - '01 Nissan Altima GXE
90 day: 30.07 mpg (US)
I saw that as one of the options.. Kinda shying away from it as this is our home computer and i do not want to disrupt my wife's use of it...

If i could have it defalt to the windows drive - UNLESS i go in and select the other drive it will work.. but i think once i select the 2nd drive in CMOS - that is would remain the "chosen" drive until i re-select the 1st drive...

First Milestone passed - 30 MPG (city) 5/15/08
Best City Tank - 8/31/09- 34.3 MPG (EPA= 20)
Best Highway Tank - 5/20/09 - 36.5 MPG (EPA= 28)
------
In effort to drive less:
Miles NOT driven in 2009 = 648 (Work from home and Alt Transporatation)
Old 02-18-2009, 12:12 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clev View Post
On the other hand, I was just looking at screenshots of OpenSuse, which uses KDE, which definitely looks like a Windows knock-off.
Err... Since when? You can choose to install KDE, or Gnome, or one of several other options. I use FVWM, and it looks nothing like Windows at all. Though it is customizable enough that it can be made to look like Windows, if anyone should want to.

Reply  Post New Thread