Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Liking ubuntu linux

I outgrew my machine (1.8GHZ, 1GB max ram), and needed an inexpensive upgrade. Picked up a No-OS computer at the local tiger direct for under $300 (4GB ram, intel dual core @ 2.2ghz, 250GB HD) and downloaded and burned the ubuntu ISO onto a disk.

Installation was downright easy, and my laser printer and all-in-one HP plugged right in and worked. And I was able to share them with the rest of the house after a little googling. It has a number of office-like tools built in (outlook clone, word clone, powerpoint clone) + firefox so it is ready to use out of the box. Most all the questions I had (i.e. how to get more than 3 gig ram recognized) have been covered and are a google away. Very slick and well supported, and having the power of unix at my fingertips is both liberating and enabling. It even had remote desktop client with it (rdesktop ) so I could put my old windows box in the closet and drive it remotely from unix whenever I "need" to use pokerstars I suppose I will have to try wine at some point, but I'm very pleased with the experience thus far.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-15-2009, 10:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

The Clunker (retired) - '90 Honda Accord EX sedan
Team Honda
90 day: 29.49 mpg (US)

Mountain Goat - '96 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 SuperCab
90 day: 18 mpg (US)

Zippy - '10 Kymco Agility 125
90 day: 65.03 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I outgrew my machine (1.8GHZ, 1GB max ram), and needed an inexpensive upgrade. Picked up a No-OS computer at the local tiger direct for under $300 (4GB ram, intel dual core @ 2.2ghz, 250GB HD) and downloaded and burned the ubuntu ISO onto a disk.

Installation was downright easy, and my laser printer and all-in-one HP plugged right in and worked. And I was able to share them with the rest of the house after a little googling. It has a number of office-like tools built in (outlook clone, word clone, powerpoint clone) + firefox so it is ready to use out of the box. Most all the questions I had (i.e. how to get more than 3 gig ram recognized) have been covered and are a google away. Very slick and well supported, and having the power of unix at my fingertips is both liberating and enabling. It even had remote desktop client with it (rdesktop ) so I could put my old windows box in the closet and drive it remotely from unix whenever I "need" to use pokerstars I suppose I will have to try wine at some point, but I'm very pleased with the experience thus far.
I too just recently switched to Ubuntu, dual-booting my company-issue Toshiba Tecra M5-S4332 laptop. The only issue I've run into is resuming from suspend (something that Windows has problems with as well.)

A friend is also giving me a 1st gen. eeePC netbook. It comes with a flavor of Linux already, but I plan to mod the heck out of it and want to install Ubuntu on it as well.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
I've been on Linux for 10 years now and the only reason I sometimes boot up Windows is because I'm too lazy to install Wine. I'm used to the Fedora flavor, which is on my laptop since FC6 came out a few years back. It also has issues (waking up from hibernation, though stand-by is OK; doesn't see my built-in memorycard reader; didn't like my wide screen so I installed an add-on with correct resolution) which are probably taken care of in the latest versions.

New versions of Linux help you reduce your power consumption with the PowerTop tool.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 02-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I prefer SUSE myself. It's much easier to set up as a real Linux system, which is what I want - I just can't work effectively in a Windows-like environment. Ubuntu has always seemed like Windoze for those who object to making Bill Gates richer.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

I tried WINE with Outlook (really the only Windows app I need) and the CPU sits at 100%, even though it isn't doing anything. Is that a problem with my settings, or is that a WINE thing?

BTW, I gave up on Fedora. I have a home server (P4M-1.2GHz, 12-13 watts when idle) that I used to install Fedora on, until the version I used was obsolete (i.e. no more security updates) less than 2 years after I installed it. I now use CentOS (rebranded RedHat Enterprise 5) on all my servers.

Old 02-16-2009, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Wannabe greenie

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I prefer SUSE myself. It's much easier to set up as a real Linux system, which is what I want - I just can't work effectively in a Windows-like environment. Ubuntu has always seemed like Windoze for those who object to making Bill Gates richer.
Ubuntu is definitely the end-user desktop-focused distro, which is why it has two video players, but you have to install traceroute with apt-get. :-)

It definitely seems to play well in a Windows environment, which is what I have at the office, but still can get down and dirty when, say, developing for my webservers. I'll try OpenSUSE on a desktop and see if it picks up where Ubuntu leaves off. (And I would definitely NOT consider Ubuntu Server on any production-related.)

Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
not sure on the exact version that I have, but I have the Asus EEE 9000 that came with linux pre-installed on it and I really like it, of course there are a few odd programs like ones for doing wind maps that just confuse it but everything that came installed on it works great and is easy to use for me, a slightly above average person.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
Well, until you learn all the commands for every possible action in every possible program, a GUI is a real nice to have. And ubuntu is definitely "real linux". So far I've installed and run Oracle server, jboss, glassfish, eclipse (plus tons of plugins, i.e. spring framework), mysql, and even got party poker working under wine and no noticable resource issues. I've spent enough time at the console to know it is real linux. And the kids can still, in just a few clicks, add music training, chemistry, mathematics, electronics, astronomy or programming software plus tons more. There's a place for text only or headless computers, but not typically in a house.

I think there's room for hardcore geeks to appreciate the gui linux offerings, independent of what MS is doing. Ubuntu is a serious multi-purpose OS AFAIKT, the overhead of the GUI is mostly disk space if you choose to just ignore it, but makes it much more inviting to get started.

Last edited by dcb; 02-16-2009 at 10:49 PM..
Old 02-16-2009, 09:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
nut

Metro XFi - '93 Geo Metro XFi Convertible
90 day: 62.17 mpg (US)

DR650SE - '07 Suzuki DR650SE
90 day: 55.26 mpg (US)
Send a message via MSN to Coyote X
I normally run debian stable for my server systems and ubuntu for desktop systems. I have used linux since 0.96 if I can remember back that far correctly, it has made huge improvements in the last 2 years. Until recently I would always tell people linux is great for messing around but has a lot of gaps in functionality. Now it has everything that is needed for most tasks. I am really surprised how fast it is picking up users compared to a few years ago.

But my main computer is still running xp with a couple of linux vmware images to play with. Guess it is something about being lazy

Old 02-16-2009, 10:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

just FYI, ubuntu is built on the debian kernel.

It is really interesting, if one were to say "I like windows vista", it would not immediately digress into a vista-home vs vista-pro "real vista" comparison. But such is the nature of linux that it has come so far from it's server oriented roots that you can't talk about any flavor of it without a discussion about hyper-optimizing a closet full of headless linux boxes I'm talking about a desktop machine here though, to replace my XP box. Web browsers are kind of hard to use without a graphical display, as are paint programs

I don't think I even need XP for the house anymore since I have a handle on wine, was actually to lazy to move XP to the new box at the time, and decided it was time to revisit linux. Well, I'll probably miss avrstudio, and a few other select programs. I can just power that box up and remote control it if necessary though.