Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

AlienMobile - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
90 day: 80.05 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
I would be interested in knowing more info on the peculiarities of antifreeze.

I honestly wouldn't recommend maintaining temps of 250°F, but I would hope holding steady at 200°F would be fine.....is this a bad assumption?

And I think having the ability to control air flow is starting to sound way cool, especially considering the cooler temps heading our way this time of year.
Hi ShadeTree,

Yes, holding 200°F is fine. I suppose that most of us assume that since it's anti-freeze, AND it's rated to some value, let's say 265°F, cause it says so on the can, then we also assume it's perfectly safe to drive at this temperature all the time.

The same can be said of motor oil. If the can says it... it must be OK.

Well just like motor oil, anti-freeze likes it better at cooler temperatures. Although I should mention that most engine manufacturers would like to see oil temperatures just slightly above boiling to burn of water condensation that occurs in the oil when the engine cools back down.

At the extreme temperatures of 265°F or so, I have seen anti-freeze turn into it's own form of sludge. It comes out looking like someone poured sawdust into the mix and let it settle to the bottom. That's what happens when it gets too hot.

Jim.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-02-2010, 09:04 PM   #132 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
Sludge in the cooling system. Sounds like what the federal government was doing to traded in cars last fall. Taking a good car and frying it. Bless them.

I worked in Milton in the 70s as an electronics tech.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-Wheeler View Post
Hi ShadeTree,

Yes, holding 200°F is fine. I suppose that most of us assume that since it's anti-freeze, AND it's rated to some value, let's say 265°F, cause it says so on the can, then we also assume it's perfectly safe to drive at this temperature all the time.

The same can be said of motor oil. If the can says it... it must be OK.

Well just like motor oil, anti-freeze likes it better at cooler temperatures. Although I should mention that most engine manufacturers would like to see oil temperatures just slightly above boiling to burn of water condensation that occurs in the oil when the engine cools back down.

At the extreme temperatures of 265°F or so, I have seen anti-freeze turn into it's own form of sludge. It comes out looking like someone poured sawdust into the mix and let it settle to the bottom. That's what happens when it gets too hot.

Jim.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 10-03-2010, 04:06 AM   #133 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varn View Post
Sludge in the cooling system. Sounds like what the federal government was doing to traded in cars last fall. Taking a good car and frying it. Bless them.
The cash for clunkers scam was the biggest waste of tax payer dollars invented since the creation of long term welfare. And it was an enviromental disaster to take perfectly good running vehicles off the road and replace them with ones that might not have been sold otherwise, which might have caused factories to slow production and would have forced them to put off fewer toxic emmisions into the atmosphere.

When will the US admit to its gluttony of the latest newfangled thing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #134 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I took some time (10 min) today and hooked up a second switch so that I can choose to control one grate or both.

I set it up so that the second grate is hooked into one wire just like before. I interrupted the second wire with a switch so that I can choose to operate that one or not.

I was also out driving today and with temps at 55F I was holding 191F with both grates open. On my next trip I will see if only one grate open will keep the temps below where the fan comes on.
Old 10-12-2010, 03:14 PM   #135 (permalink)
NightKnight

RippinRoo - '05 Subaru Legacy Wagon 2.5 GT
Subaru
90 day: 21.16 mpg (US)

Helga - '00 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
Diesel
90 day: 53.91 mpg (US)

Olga - '03 Volkswagen Jetta Wagon
90 day: 46.24 mpg (US)
Grate stuff!!

Cool to see how well you've got it working now!
Old 11-16-2010, 07:31 PM   #136 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Month and a half update:

It is still working

As the temps drop I can leave it closed for the the whole trip if it is a short on (less then 8 miles) On the freeway at hypermiler speeds I need one grate open (half of lower grill). At the speed limit 65 or 70 MPH I need both both open above 54 F One is fine till the ambient temp drops below 35. then I can close and open as needed.

I need to see if I am getting any leakage as it still takes a while to warm up (4-5 miles) when the temps are under 40 F.
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #137 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
Month and a half update:

It is still working

As the temps drop I can leave it closed for the the whole trip if it is a short on (less then 8 miles) On the freeway at hypermiler speeds I need one grate open (half of lower grill). At the speed limit 65 or 70 MPH I need both both open above 54 F One is fine till the ambient temp drops below 35. then I can close and open as needed.

I need to see if I am getting any leakage as it still takes a while to warm up (4-5 miles) when the temps are under 40 F.
Old 11-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #138 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Aveo - '08 Chevolet Aveo LS
Good weatherspotter

Everyone seems against the cash for clunkers dealio.
My mother clunked in her dodge caravan with a dying transmission, and my stepfather's motorcycle that was no longer being used (trade in, not clunked).

She replaced it with a nissan cube with a CVT which she gets around 35 miles per gallon out of.

That is more than double what she used to get.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:07 AM   #139 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Adding to this thread, just to add this video, FYI... (from a PriusChat thread which links to this thread)

Quote:
Takuya Yura, a famous Japanese car designer who designed the Prius G Sports, is now working to make the automatic grill blocking for his Prius G Sports.

I believe it is still in an early prototyping stage, but the unit looks working now.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 07-23-2012, 12:00 PM   #140 (permalink)
Burning oil to move air.

ausiasmobil - '06 Seat Leon 1.9 TDI Reference
90 day: 40.22 mpg (US)

EcoTxec - '99 Skoda Octavia 1.9 TDI 110 cv Laurin & Klement
90 day: 52.85 mpg (US)
These spanish guys RescatandoEnergia have some temperature automatic controlled device that prevents overrefrigeration and improves thermal efficiency.
All the links in spanish but you can ask them in english.

Online shop: http://www.tienda.conviertetuhibrido...products_id=29

Sold:

Reply  Post New Thread