Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-21-2022, 04:06 PM   #551 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
The only thing I see is the tape came loose in 2 of 2 at 2 o'clock.

No contact with the tire.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-21-2022, 05:22 PM   #552 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Bullet - '19 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
The only thing I see is the tape came loose in 2 of 2 at 2 o'clock.

No contact with the tire.
It’s weather stripping and also helps dampen sound coming from the metal on metal vibration. They were loud before on bumpy roads and scratched the paint. I left a gap where the screws are because I may widen the holes a little but when I get around to doing nut serts and rivets
Old 10-29-2022, 01:08 AM   #553 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Well oregon skipped autumn. Went from wild fire smoke and heat waves to rain every day and snow in the mountains overnight and it’s nonstop cold rain in forecast. I’ll be taking the wheel skirts off and putting on the winter tires for snowboard season. So now I need to focus on other eco mods that are snow proof. I may put the passengers side mirror on and just keep it on. I’d only take it off on super long road trips.

Any suggestions for some eco mods that will help in rain and snow and be pretty stable? Obviously an undertray and diffuser eventually, but what else? I assume the small box cavity/separation edges? How would that affect rain and snow build up on the rear of the car?

Any type of spoiler modifications? Would really like some helpful suggestions since cold weather hurts mpg, along with driving in rain and snow, winter blend fuels, and high rolling resistance winter tires.
Old 11-14-2022, 05:31 PM   #554 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ioniq looking more aero. No mirrors. Wheel skirts. Also put silver duct tape over the brake cooling holes on the front tires. Full grill is blocked. Mpg still wasn’t going as good as I wanted

Still need to smooth under under the car more and def get that rear diffuser made

Very tempted to do a mini boat tail

I can’t do a full boat tail that eventually pinches at the end

Could anyone give me a break down of different boat tail lengths and reduced wake sizes and how each configuration lowers the cd?

Like how much would my cd be dropped with a 2 foot long boat tail versus a fully extended one?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ADF4D570-237E-4F1C-8CA8-16F7FDB77CA7.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	33019  
The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 08:08 PM   #555 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Consider these idealized cases:

The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Joggernot (11-15-2022)
Old 11-14-2022, 10:32 PM   #556 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

thanks. looks like some big jumps even with small increments. wish i could figure out some rough estimates from my ioniq.
Old 11-14-2022, 11:34 PM   #557 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Estimates are not equal to tuft tests.

If the upstream streamlines are moving up or down instead of straight back (in or out on the top) the new construction should anticipate or control that so the streamlines separate cleanly.

Shows up mostly in the lower corners, behind the rear wheels. Morelli's FIAT had turbine wheels that fed a duct to the diffuser area. I like skegs.

Old 11-15-2022, 08:42 AM   #558 (permalink)
Cd
Ultimate Fail

Thanked 1,121 Times in 679 Posts
@ Phase : No pictures ?
Old 11-17-2022, 10:49 AM   #559 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
'tail......... configuration............ drag change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase View Post
Ioniq looking more aero. No mirrors. Wheel skirts. Also put silver duct tape over the brake cooling holes on the front tires. Full grill is blocked. Mpg still wasn’t going as good as I wanted

Still need to smooth under under the car more and def get that rear diffuser made

Very tempted to do a mini boat tail

I can’t do a full boat tail that eventually pinches at the end

Could anyone give me a break down of different boat tail lengths and reduced wake sizes and how each configuration lowers the cd?

Like how much would my cd be dropped with a 2 foot long boat tail versus a fully extended one?
1) If you can reliably isolate the OEM wake perimeter, and estimate it's wake area by measuring the width, in one-inch slices, from top to bottom, this will provide your Cd 0.24 'baseline.'
2) Since drag varies linearly with wake area, any desired percentage reduction in Cd will simply be that percentage in wake area reduction.
3) If you had AUTO-CAD, different scale renderings of the wake area could be evaluated from the automatic pixel count function, provided to determine the required tail length which would produce that 'size' of wake.
4) It's 'simple, not easy.'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) Without CAD, you could fabricate a 'cardboard and duct tape' length of boat-tail capable of supporting attached flow, and by percentage, using either width or height, determine the 'size' of the new rear transom which would generate the desirable wake size.
Old 11-17-2022, 01:37 PM   #560 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
1) If you can reliably isolate the OEM wake perimeter, and estimate it's wake area by measuring the width, in one-inch slices, from top to bottom, this will provide your Cd 0.24 'baseline.'
2) Since drag varies linearly with wake area, any desired percentage reduction in Cd will simply be that percentage in wake area reduction.
3) If you had AUTO-CAD, different scale renderings of the wake area could be evaluated from the automatic pixel count function, provided to determine the required tail length which would produce that 'size' of wake.
4) It's 'simple, not easy.'
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5) Without CAD, you could fabricate a 'cardboard and duct tape' length of boat-tail capable of supporting attached flow, and by percentage, using either width or height, determine the 'size' of the new rear transom which would generate the desirable wake size.
That’s what I was going to do. I was going to do a cardboard and duct tape box cavity 2 feet extension that follows the currently rear separation angles and then see how much smaller that wake size is

The Following User Says Thank You to Phase For This Useful Post:
aerohead (11-17-2022)
Reply  Post New Thread