Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #121 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjts1 View Post
HHO is BS
[/thread]
It's not quite that simple, my friend.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-01-2009, 01:41 AM   #122 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Well... it pretty much is.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:48 AM   #123 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
Well... it pretty much is.
As people are portraying it, yes. Being done in an on-car system, most definitely. HHO systems in general? Nah. Tney're useful, that's been proven. In fact, you can use them to make your own fuel, provided you have no better use for some renewable electricity (as in, your house is already powered, and you have excess, but you don't make money from it, or wouldn't make enough money from it to cover the cost of fuel that you'd otherwise replace).

It's not a difficult concept to accept, really.

As a matter of fact, I can't find the link my 'marks right now, but there is a guy that has a H2 powered Civic as his DD, and uses hydrogen storage in some rather large tanks with electrolyzers to make H2 and store it, then recombine it with water later on to make electricity, or pump some off to fill up his car. His main power source is solar and wind, the H2 is to store excess energy, as he's completely off-grid. It's more efficient than batteries, for sure, and is also multipurpose, in that it fuels his car as well.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:15 AM   #124 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

I want to see a proven system that I can't shoot down, as that hasn't happened yet.

Old 11-01-2009, 02:28 AM   #125 (permalink)

Check the entire island of Norway... they're building an infrastructure that is unassisted, runs on solar energy, and produces hydrogen and stores it for later use by passing motorists.

HyNor — HyNor

Old 11-01-2009, 03:34 AM   #126 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Do I believe hydrogen assisted lean burn combustion works? Yes.

Do I believe anyone has ever achieved anything worthwhile with automotive electrolysis HHO? No.

Is that hydrogen project in Norway related to HHO in any way, shape, or form? Not so much.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:36 AM   #127 (permalink)
button presser

TAVs Prius - '10 Toyota Prius IV
90 day: 50.86 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to vielecustoms Send a message via MSN to vielecustoms Send a message via Yahoo to vielecustoms
my old landlord used to make and experiment with his own systems. he was just starting and the gains were not huge but he did get an extra 20 mpg, on a Saturn and neon, from the system he had built. supposedly now he is getting more. one big part is not just the HHO generator but being able to control the fuel system in the vehicle, to lean out the fuel mixture. (the o2 sensor will read the extra oxygen fron the generator and actually add more gas to the mix if there is no way to control it). he also changed all the fluids to synthetics, ran the tires at just above the max pressure and made this thing that heated the fuel before it was injected. and of course driving easily. I am sure his other mod's could have had helped with the overall gain. his website is Hydrogen-Boost I am not spamming, he has some information and videos on there that may be useful, there is some usual sales BS but you can make your own opinion.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:42 AM   #128 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
Check the entire island of Norway... they're building an infrastructure that is unassisted, runs on solar energy, and produces hydrogen and stores it for later use by passing motorists.

HyNor — HyNor
I never knew that Norway had become an island. The last I heard it was still solidly attached to the Eurasian continent. Also, considering their high latitude with its very short winter days, they would have to have a lot of hydrogen storage capacity to carry the surplus generated during the long days of summer to supply the hydrogen demand through the winter. With their low sun angles from their high latitude and their abundant hydropower, I'm surprised the Norwegians would even be considering solar.
Old 11-01-2009, 01:46 PM   #129 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

LR3 - '06 Land Rover LR3 HSE
90 day: 21.13 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
As people are portraying it, yes. Being done in an on-car system, most definitely. HHO systems in general? Nah. Tney're useful, that's been proven. In fact, you can use them to make your own fuel, provided you have no better use for some renewable electricity (as in, your house is already powered, and you have excess, but you don't make money from it, or wouldn't make enough money from it to cover the cost of fuel that you'd otherwise replace).

It's not a difficult concept to accept, really.

As a matter of fact, I can't find the link my 'marks right now, but there is a guy that has a H2 powered Civic as his DD, and uses hydrogen storage in some rather large tanks with electrolyzers to make H2 and store it, then recombine it with water later on to make electricity, or pump some off to fill up his car. His main power source is solar and wind, the H2 is to store excess energy, as he's completely off-grid. It's more efficient than batteries, for sure, and is also multipurpose, in that it fuels his car as well.
Uh, yeah. Nobody has claimed that you can't use electricity to extract hydrogen from water, or that hydrogen doesn't burn. Kind of irrelevant to the "run your car on water" folks though. What you're talking about isn't what they're talking about. So as Frank Lee says, it pretty much is that simple.
Old 11-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #130 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
vielecustoms -

Quote:
Originally Posted by vielecustoms View Post
my old landlord used to make and experiment with his own systems. he was just starting and the gains were not huge but he did get an extra 20 mpg, on a Saturn and neon, from the system he had built. supposedly now he is getting more. one big part is not just the HHO generator but being able to control the fuel system in the vehicle, to lean out the fuel mixture. (the o2 sensor will read the extra oxygen fron the generator and actually add more gas to the mix if there is no way to control it). he also changed all the fluids to synthetics, ran the tires at just above the max pressure and made this thing that heated the fuel before it was injected. and of course driving easily. I am sure his other mod's could have had helped with the overall gain. his website is Hydrogen-Boost I am not spamming, he has some information and videos on there that may be useful, there is some usual sales BS but you can make your own opinion.
For post-carburetor gasoline engines, I think the big question in all these systems is that you always have to fool the 02 sensor into running lean for HHO to work. I think an argument can be made that MPG gains can come from running lean, period (i.e. Honda VX or HX). Running lean doesn't need an HHO generator to work. Another claim is better emissions. This may be possible, but juggling lean-burn with controlled HHO output implies the need for a more complex control system.

I got his system back in 2005, but I never got it work. He told me to install the whole system. In his defense, I didn't do that, so I can't claim I did the full test. I didn't do things like spoof the 02 sensor or attach the fuel heater. By the time I did get an 02 spoofer, I had removed the hydrogen system, and was too lazee to restart it.

In this post I noted that he actually shot down his system on a Metro where the driver is hypermiling :

http://ecomodder.com/forum/76143-post18.html
Quote:
This is consistent with the argument that hydrogen works best on a vehicle that is doing *work*, aka a trucker hauling goods or a stationary engine on a contruction site. I consider the following dude to be an "honest broker" on the subject :

Diesel Dynamometer Testing Analysis
Hydrogen-Boost
Quote:
In the charts below the light blue shaded area represents the possible savings with Hydrogen Boost. The yellow shaded areas represent the possible NEGATIVE savings with Hydrogen Boost. Notice that at idle there is always a negative savings and at low cruise the savings may be negative or slightly positive. As stated in recent newsletter and documents the Hydrogen Boost benefits are especially prevalent when high power and torque are being produced (when lots of fuel is being combusted). This really shows that Hydrogen Boost can be most valuable with vehicles that are heavily loaded or underpowered.

The conditions where Hydrogen Boost may improve mileage the least is when the driver is already implementing driving tips like slow acceleration and cruising at low speeds and throttle settings. It may be possible that the cost of the hydrogen production could be higher than the benefits of that hydrogen to the miniscule amounts of fuel that are being combusted while using these efficient driving techniques. This is exaggerated when the operator sets his hydrogen production too high for the engine he is operating. ...
If I had a diesel, I would probably try this again because I wouldn't have to add a lot of the other doo-dads.

Also, from my POV, even if the system netted 0 MPG gain or loss, but improved emissions, it would be a net gain for me.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Reply  Post New Thread