Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2020, 02:55 AM   #411 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
Yes.

I want a human sized-hamster wheel.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-29-2020, 03:11 AM   #412 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
How fast do I need to run to charge my phone?

What happens if I trip and fall inside the wheel?

Some guy built a hamster wheel desk, but I do not see the advantage over a treadmill. I have one in my room which would be perfect for the barely-measurable pace that he was going.

The tread is a little loose and randomly slipped when I tried running on it.

This guy's version looks pretty good:

I watched a few other builds and they looked atrocious.

The Following User Says Thank You to Xist For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 03:37 AM   #413 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,586 Times in 7,070 Posts
I thought the horizontal hand bar makes it work.

One of us needs some sleep.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:55 AM   #414 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.18 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I am in bed, I just remembered something. This is the earliest that I have gone to bed since TPgate!

Didn't we just discuss Turnip's negotiating ability [or lack thereof]?
'GM was wasting time': Trump invokes DPA to force GM to make ventilators He invoked the Defense Production Act, but said that he would not use it and seemed to have a rational discussion with GM, he suddenly called off the deal, and ordered them to using the Defense Production Act.

Quote:
The tweet came the morning after The New York Times reported that a deal between GM and medical device supplier Ventec to provide up to 80,000 ventilators was called off after FEMA said it needed more time to assess how much the ventilators would cost.
So, he got mad at GM because of FEMA?

Quote:
The president also said his previous opposition to GM’s decision to shutter an auto plant in Lordstown, Ohio, made negotiations with the automaker difficult.
What does that have to do with anything?

Quote:
“Depending on the needs of the federal government, Ventec and GM are poised to deliver the first ventilators next month and ramp up to a manufacturing capacity of more than 10,000 critical care ventilators per month with the infrastructure and capability to scale further,” the statement read.
I just hope that is soon enough.

Quote:
“Depending on the needs of the federal government, Ventec and GM are poised to deliver the first ventilators next month and ramp up to a manufacturing capacity of more than 10,000 critical care ventilators per month with the infrastructure and capability to scale further,” the statement read.
How often do car manufacturers make their own components? How often do they just assemble parts from their suppliers?

I thought that I found "Legend," but it was some weird unicorn fantasy with the guy from "Vanilla Sky."

Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #415 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
See, they're very nasty people who aren't appreciative of him as much as they should be. Horrible people, very bad people, impossible to work with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 03-29-2020, 11:19 AM   #416 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
I caught some noise on the TV as I was at my parents yesterday that annoys me if true. Some lady (mayor perhaps?) of New Orleans was blaming Trump for not ordering a quarantine on the city, as if it's Trump's responsibility to run towns. If I lived there, I'd fire that woman so quick and make sure she never held a political position ever again. This is indicative of where people on the far left want to go though, to shirk their responsibility and blame others rather than take responsibility and do their job.

Why would any mayor or governor want less authority to run their territory? When you blame someone else, you're saying you don't have responsibility (same thing as authority) and want someone else to take over instead. There's a reason we have states, counties, cities... and don't expect the federal government to run everything.

Reminds me of the French captain who abandoned his ship and asked the coast guard how many of his passengers were dead. Their reply "that's your job".

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Old 03-29-2020, 01:18 PM   #417 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
How often do car manufacturers make their own components? How often do they just assemble parts from their suppliers?
US car manufacturers iare in the business of designing and assembling cars. They sold off their parts businesses decades ago. They still do some limited stamping for the unibody and casting for things like engine blocks.

My understanding is GM is using their manufacturing and logistical expertise and billions in cash to rapidly scale up Ventec's production and design. They are using their existing supplier network to tool up and produce those parts. Take any part of the ventilator and they have existing contracts with multiple companies that could make that kind of part. Ventec doesn't have those contacts.

Ventec made 150 ventilators per month before this and now they want to make 10,000 a month. GM's manufacturing engineers now how to analysis the assembly work required, break that up into stations and set up assembly lines capable of that volume. Their logistical people know how to get those parts to the plant one time and set up the purchasing and shipping contracts required. By the time their suppliers are set up to make parts the Kokomo factor will have the assembly line ready. GM has the cash to do this now and wait to get paid back in a few months time.

As discussed in a different thread, GM no longer owns the Lordstown factory. It matters because Trump personally went to Lordstown and told GM workers not to sell their houses and move to other jobs because he would prevent GM from closing the plant. GM made him look bad and he is a vengeful person.

Trump is also angry that GM said they could only produce 6,000 ventilators by the end of April and then 10,000 a month after. He seemed to believe 2-4 weeks is too long to completely tool up a factory. Now that he has changed his mind and decided we need tens of thousands of new ventilators he wants them now not a couple weeks from now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-29-2020), Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #418 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
For once in his life, can this guy listen to an expert?

As Wernher Von Braun once put it, "Crash programs fail because they are based on the theory that, with nine women pregnant, you can get a baby a month." Let the real ventilator manufacturers increase production as much as possible for immediate increases, and give the car company a couple weeks to create a supply chain and transform a factory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #419 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,067 Times in 1,397 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
I caught some noise on the TV as I was at my parents yesterday that annoys me if true. Some lady (mayor perhaps?) of New Orleans was blaming Trump for not ordering a quarantine on the city, as if it's Trump's responsibility to run towns. If I lived there, I'd fire that woman so quick and make sure she never held a political position ever again. This is indicative of where people on the far left want to go though, to shirk their responsibility and blame others rather than take responsibility and do their job.
Not quite. She said if the Trump administration had warned New Orleans of the true threat posed by COVID 19 Carnival would have been cancelled.

Carnival was in February and Trump was still publicly saying everything was under control and to go on with life as normal while getting briefings from the CDC that there would be a pandemic in the USA

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (03-29-2020), Xist (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:34 PM   #420 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,392 Times in 3,366 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Not quite. She said if the Trump administration had warned New Orleans of the true threat posed by COVID 19 Carnival would have been cancelled.

Carnival was in February and Trump was still publicly saying everything was under control and to go on with life as normal while getting briefings from the CDC that there would be a pandemic in the USA
Well that changes things I suppose, but who is making health/safety decisions for their state or city based on things Trump says? Still shows lack of leadership. Nuclear bombs could be going off in my backyard, and I doubt I'd hear Trump give anything but a positive spin on the state of things. Negativity and alarm-ism is saved for other people and countries.

My question is, if Trump has/is underplaying the severity, how did that happen? Was his medical advisers likewise over-optimistic, or did they fail to convey the seriousness of the issue? We'll probably never know.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
freebeard (03-29-2020)
Closed Thread  Post New Thread