Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-28-2009, 03:05 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonMPG View Post
Can you please not make it an Eco car? lol They have LS1's for a reason. :P

Do you still have the runflats on it? When you get new tires, replace the runflats with regular tires. Everything will improve.
This mod is done already..
I replaced the runflats with Goodyear GS-D3..245/45/17 fronts 275/40/18 rear
Shaved some weight and they feel so much better..

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-28-2009, 03:08 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
A tuft test would reveal if there is a need for mods in that region.
Plan on doing extensive tuft testing
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Wiki Mod

Max - '14 Ford C-Max SEL
I would suggest getting a ScanGauge and using it to adjust your driving style. that has helped me make a 3-6 MPG improvement without any other mods. It will also allow more testing of different mods.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:22 PM   #24 (permalink)
That VX guy!

The VX - '92 Honda Civic VX
Send a message via AIM to TomO Send a message via Yahoo to TomO
Welcome aboard...I'm a little late as I just got back from TX, lol.

This wouldn't happen to be you on HIDplanet would it?: C5 headlights

Old 11-30-2009, 01:22 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weather Spotter View Post
I would suggest getting a ScanGauge and using it to adjust your driving style. that has helped me make a 3-6 MPG improvement without any other mods. It will also allow more testing of different mods.
Thanks!!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Welcome aboard...I'm a little late as I just got back from TX, lol.

This wouldn't happen to be you on HIDplanet would it?: C5 headlights
Welcome Back from Tx

And thank you for the warm welcome to the forum..
That isnt me on the HIDplanet forum..

Marty
BKVETTE
Old 12-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Marty,
I also own a 2000 C5 and am very active in ecomodding activities on my car.
I did some very successful underbody mods and other things ranging from Engine software changes like lean-cruise to solar cells to engine and trans heaters for cold starts.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ette-9108.html
I use the Vette as my daily driver with current hwy mpgs between 28-31 (A4 with H/C LS1). My city average is 20 mpg.
Regarding the Scangauge, I think we can get away without one because we can display instantaneous MPG in our instrument cluster, which is very helpful i driving economically.
My next steps are an underdrive pulley for the cankshaft and maybe an electric waterpump. I've also looked into converting to an electric powersteering pump. There are many options out there that might make sense but they all involve some work and $$.
Alex
Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex99 View Post
Marty,
I also own a 2000 C5 and am very active in ecomodding activities on my car.
I did some very successful underbody mods and other things ranging from Engine software changes like lean-cruise to solar cells to engine and trans heaters for cold starts.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ette-9108.html
I use the Vette as my daily driver with current hwy mpgs between 28-31 (A4 with H/C LS1). My city average is 20 mpg.
Regarding the Scangauge, I think we can get away without one because we can display instantaneous MPG in our instrument cluster, which is very helpful i driving economically.
My next steps are an underdrive pulley for the cankshaft and maybe an electric waterpump. I've also looked into converting to an electric powersteering pump. There are many options out there that might make sense but they all involve some work and $$.
Alex
Hi Alex

Many thanks for your response and making me feel right at home. Good ideas come from many places and yours certainly seem like they would net results.

Seeing your Aero c5 post and pics now inspires me to give it a try. Although off the rear I was thinking flat tray and vertical fins.. ie venturi tunnel

I have the cardboard ready And Im going to start cutting and fashioning my idea until I have something that seems like it will work. I hope I can bounce these ideas off you and we can work together to achieve real results.

Id like to know more about the other mods youve done IE solar/Electric punps etc..
Keep me posted

And happy motoring!!

Marty
BKVETTE
Old 12-08-2009, 10:47 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hi Marty,
Unfortunately the high cost of an electric waterpump for the LS1 is holding me back to purchase one.
I use 2 x5 Watt flexible solar panels in the back to charge the 12V battery while the car is parked.
Since I have other intrumentation onboard (Wideband O2 sensor, datalogger etc.) I tend to use more electricity than stock. In addition to that I drive mostly short distances so the battery gets weak after a while. I just installed them temporarily to see if they have an impact or not.

Another thing that I have done is to enable torque converter lockup in 3rd gear. Since you have a manual, this doesn't apply to your car.
So far I would say the underbody covers have improved mileage the most. Another big help is the engine block and transmission heater.

I'm also looking into converting to LED lights for the DRL and signal lights as well as the rear and brake lights.
According to some old GM article that I read on the C5 ,the DRLs alone account for .25mpg.

I have also raised the tire pressure to about 40 psi. This seems to help also, although the ride gets a little rough sometimes.
I hope in January I will have my new cam delivered and then install the new -25% underdrive pulley that I have laying around.
If I come by a cheap electric waterpump by then I will install this too.
I read an another forum that one guy gained 4 mpg from pulley and waterpump.

What are your plans for your C5?
Old 12-08-2009, 01:27 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex99 View Post
Hi Marty,
Unfortunately the high cost of an electric waterpump for the LS1 is holding me back to purchase one.
I use 2 x5 Watt flexible solar panels in the back to charge the 12V battery while the car is parked.
Since I have other intrumentation onboard (Wideband O2 sensor, datalogger etc.) I tend to use more electricity than stock. In addition to that I drive mostly short distances so the battery gets weak after a while. I just installed them temporarily to see if they have an impact or not.

Another thing that I have done is to enable torque converter lockup in 3rd gear. Since you have a manual, this doesn't apply to your car.
So far I would say the underbody covers have improved mileage the most. Another big help is the engine block and transmission heater.

I'm also looking into converting to LED lights for the DRL and signal lights as well as the rear and brake lights.
According to some old GM article that I read on the C5 ,the DRLs alone account for .25mpg.

I have also raised the tire pressure to about 40 psi. This seems to help also, although the ride gets a little rough sometimes.
I hope in January I will have my new cam delivered and then install the new -25% underdrive pulley that I have laying around.
If I come by a cheap electric waterpump by then I will install this too.
I read an another forum that one guy gained 4 mpg from pulley and waterpump.

What are your plans for your C5?
Hey Alex

My plans right now for the C5 are to add aerodynamic tweeks first..
vortex gen. carbon fiber wing, venturi and underbody smooth panels

Ive also replaced the front headlights with projectors..
Weight savings of 40LBS
I will replace the power seats with lightweight racing seats..will be another 40 plus LBS.

I want and need to learn more about the power savings and fuel econmony saving when converting pull driven accesories to electric..
Hoping you can help me with that!

If your interested in LEDS register for corvetteforum.com and contact the member Radioflyer. He has already done many DRL conversions to LED(Audi style) and they look quite nice. Its also just a great place to ask questions and get answers. My contact name there is supersupereight.
Also you may want to contact JWMotoring on corvetteforum. He has the nicest rear LED halo lights. One of my next mods.

Also was wondering if you can help me understand what the wideband O2 sensor does and how it helps and how I would go about replacing the OEM sensor.

The solar panels sound great..It would benefit me greatly since I only drive the car April thru Nov. Any info on those. Where you got it, Specs, Install etc.

Im not to sure about raising you tire PSI..Ive always understood that this makes the tire ride more on the center are can cause premature wear of the center of the tire tread while the outer edges remain good. Could be costly considering how much replacement tires cost.

Lastly..I bought a battery tender..that I plug in every night. Its intelligent so it charges the battery when needed or sits in wait mode until charging is necessary. I payed about $ 26.00 at Autozone for a Schumaker brand unit. Ive learned from corvetteforum members that the Vette is notorious for eating battery power while parked.

TTYS
Happy Holidays
MARTY

Reply  Post New Thread