Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation > OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2010, 09:08 PM   #191 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
I use flat phone cord a lot, the fuse should be sized to protect the wiring if you are concerned about shorting something out. One amp should be more than sufficient...
Thanks dcb.
I don't know what gauge flat phone cord is but my guess is pretty thin. I looked up wire gauge amp capacity and even a 28 ga. wire will carry an amp, unless it's enclosed in some kind of conduit (or maybe inside a hot engine bay), in which case 26 ga. will do it. I have 20 ga. wire so I think I'm covered.

Sorry - I might be bringing way too much detail to the project - but being not even semi-educated in electronics I thought I'd better ask rather than make an asssumption.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2010, 09:49 PM   #192 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
Sorry that is not it and all I have been pressing is the left button to change screens.
You don't have Shrek sized fingers or something do you?

Seriously, something is up with your middle button, does it have a different feel than the others? Are there any stray conductors around it or where the guino sits? can you poke at the unit and get it to change brightness? Does it reset current when you use the right button? Gimmie some clues here.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:55 PM   #193 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

That is all I have, I switched to tank BIG and when I went back I had no trip mileage.

And my other one in the Ford is showing a lot less mileage than it should.

I will test some more.

Rich
Old 04-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #194 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OK This is freaking me out.

For the past couple of months the unit in the Ford has been keeping correct track of the miles driven, and showing the tank avg.

I made a point to leave it on that screen and not do anything but "Tank Reset" when I got gas.

I have done nothing to the Ford unit. I changed nothing not even stepping though all the screens, it was untouched other than turning off the motor.

Now it will not keep the record.

I did a tank reset today just to see if it would keep track of a short trip, at one point it was reading 29 miles driven.

I just checked it and it now was showing 9.25 Miles.

I steped thouth a few screens and when I got back to "Current" with the "MG" and "S" & "GH" and "C". "C" was now reading 999999

And the unit in the Van is showing "C" 999999

It keeps dropping or resetting "C" records.

Any ideas?

Rich
Old 04-07-2010, 11:45 PM   #195 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

ok, lemme back up a bit. The MPGuino conceptually has three trips, instant (not much of a trip really), Current, and Tank. Each trip tracks fuel used, distance traveled, and time elapsed and we compute everything else from there.

On the custom screen (the default one) has for variables displayed

MG S
GH C

MG is Instant Miles Per Gallon
S is instant Speed
GH is Gallons Per hour (instant)
C is Current Miles Per Gallon.

re "Custom" screen values.

Current will reset after 7.5 minutes of inactivity (and the backlight will turn off too). Inactivity is defined as no speed pulses or injector pulses or button presses for 7.5 minutes (the delay can be changed in the settings). So if the car was off for that long then C would reset.

I found Current MPG more useful than tank, since it is telling me how I am doing on my current trip, and it resets itself so I can try to beat that number on the way home, next morning, etc, rather than at the next fillup.

Speed is of marginal value, mostly I wanted it on the first screen so you can tell if your speed signal is working.

GH is useful, relates to injector duty cycle, and gives a quick "My injector tap is working" confirmation on the first screen.

And instant MPG is pretty popular (though I find the accumulated Current MPG to be a lot more "honest")
Old 04-08-2010, 12:44 AM   #196 (permalink)
BigEco

Scepter Wagon Manual - '96 Toyota Scepter 2.2G SXV15
90 day: 27.41 mpg (US)

クレスタ - '93 Toyota Cresta Tourer S JZX90
90 day: 19.12 mpg (US)
Will this work on a pre-ODB2 Toyota 2.2 5SFE accurately?
Old 04-08-2010, 01:05 AM   #197 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

I don't own a pre-obdII toyota 2.2 so I cant really say myself. The table of car settings should be updated by whomever is first though:

MPGuino - EcoModder

But I do want to remind folks to update the table of car values, share what you have figured out for your vehicles, or at least post it somewhere if you don't want to edit the wiki personally. There's way more cars using guinos than in that table I'm sure. Thanks to all that have shared too, and hookup pictures/info per vehicle is also very valuable, i.e. Metro - EcoModder
Old 04-08-2010, 10:01 AM   #198 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks that clears that up for me.

It is the "Instant Tank" screen that keeps the total distance traveled and the ave. MPG for that… the "D" readout.

I got put off by the label "Instant Tank" as it seemed such a screen showing "instant" would not be the one that shows the longest view or total tank mileage…in my book.

I saw the "current" screen showing trip mileage and when it reset its self, I flipped out.

I take it when changing screens it shows the name of the screen just before changing to that screen, so when is said "Instant Tank" the screen that opens next is the "Instant Tank" screen.

I will add your answer to my notes on this device…

I am still very happy with it I now have a MPG meter on a 1993 Chevy Van, and trust me that is the hardest to do, NO ONE ELSE makes a gauge for pre OBDII cars and trucks.

For cars and trucks with carbs you can still find the old Emco Mileage Computer with its magnets on the drive shaft and flow meter, but between that and the Scan Gauge II which works only on the OBDII Hookup, there is nothing.

And if you're trying to do funny things to the car and its sensors and ECM, be warned, fool the ECM and you fool the Scan Gauge II, I thought I had hit pay dirt when the scan gauge read 45 MPG…in truth it was still 29 MPG, it was reading falsely.

I believe the MPGunio will not be so easily fooled. I am counting on it to show real MPG no matter what I do to the car and its sensors and ECM, or any thing else.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb View Post
ok, lemme back up a bit. The MPGuino conceptually has three trips, instant (not much of a trip really), Current, and Tank. Each trip tracks fuel used, distance traveled, and time elapsed and we compute everything else from there.

On the custom screen (the default one) has for variables displayed

MG S
GH C

MG is Instant Miles Per Gallon
S is instant Speed
GH is Gallons Per hour (instant)
C is Current Miles Per Gallon.

re "Custom" screen values.

Current will reset after 7.5 minutes of inactivity (and the backlight will turn off too). Inactivity is defined as no speed pulses or injector pulses or button presses for 7.5 minutes (the delay can be changed in the settings). So if the car was off for that long then C would reset.

I found Current MPG more useful than tank, since it is telling me how I am doing on my current trip, and it resets itself so I can try to beat that number on the way home, next morning, etc, rather than at the next fillup.

Speed is of marginal value, mostly I wanted it on the first screen so you can tell if your speed signal is working.

GH is useful, relates to injector duty cycle, and gives a quick "My injector tap is working" confirmation on the first screen.

And instant MPG is pretty popular (though I find the accumulated Current MPG to be a lot more "honest")
Old 04-08-2010, 10:37 AM   #199 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

Well it isn't the "Only" one technically, Yoshi has the supermid and made some key contributions to this project as well, and you can probably still find an old zemco on ebay perhaps with the FI adapter, but it may be the most active.

You might be in for some fun yet with your 93, if it is TBI
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...sory-6863.html
Old 04-08-2010, 10:53 AM   #200 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

“Well it isn't the "Only" one technically, Yoshi has the supermid and made some key contributions to this project as well, and you can probably still find an old zemco on ebay perhaps with the FI adapter, but it may be the most active”

I have a few of the Zemco units, none with the FI adapter, as it only seems to convert the injector pulse to one the computer can see, and it seems not to work very well.

A member here did make a adaptor that runs off the injector pulse writh like the MPGunio does. I have not had time to build one.

I have not seen the supermid so cannot say anything about it.

Rich

Reply  Post New Thread