Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electictracer View Post
Luckily I have been fortunate enough to have seen a home built aircraft built using this technique. This is probably the reason I'm going the route I am.

Sheeting can be expensive, I have not priced it but I'm planing on using 2024-t4.
I have priced a windshield from Tod's and its outside of my budget. This means I'm making my own.... Any information anyone has on this topic would be helpful.

Over the next two weeks I have a bunch of time off. I plan on having the bike on wheels at the end of this time period.
What I have done is make a simple curve of aluminium sheet as a form and then cut a peace of lexan or plexeglas, put them both in an oven at a specified temp and wait until the plasic softens into the shape of the aluminium form and then remove it from the oven to cool into the shape of the form. There are website that discribe how to... I don't remember the address, should be easy to search.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-24-2012, 09:48 PM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I think I will try a hot drape technique, over a mold. I don’t think I could get a good result blowing it because of the shape I need. The biggest problem I see is making/finding an oven large enough. I could make it but that would cost, and I have very little room in my single car garage. Maybe a powder coating place or a pottery kiln could work? The university might have one I could use….
Anyway ill fight that battle when I get to it I guess, for now making good progress on body. I finished the door frame and jam today and will be continuing to work toward a rolling chassis next weekend.

Old 03-24-2012, 11:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

redyaris - '07 Toyota Yaris
Team Toyota
90 day: 45.54 mpg (US)

Gray - '07 Suzuki GS500 F
Motorcycle
90 day: 70.4 mpg (US)

streamliner1 - '83 Honda VT500 streamliner
Motorcycle
90 day: 75.63 mpg (US)

White Whale - '12 Sprinter 2500 Cargo Van
90 day: 22.01 mpg (US)
Chapter 2 - Heat Sources
Most plastics require between 250 and 400 degrees F. to get soft enough. We are not trying to melt the plastic, just make it soft like a sheet of rubber. Your kitchen oven was designed to heat food at these temperatures, so its a safe and convenient way to heat plastic as well. This chapter shows the differences between gas and electric ovens and how to use them effectively.

Find out why heat guns and heat lamps should be avoided. Other heat sources are discussed, such as, electric frying pans and griddles, toaster ovens, hot plates etc.., with advice on using each one

I found this; which should give you some small idea of what can be done. This is from a web page that is about a book on vacuom forming plastics, "workshop" was at the top of the page.
Old 03-24-2012, 11:41 PM   #64 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
...for now making good progress on body. I finished the door frame and jam today and will be continuing to work toward a rolling chassis next weekend.
SWEET! It's looking good.
How'd finals go?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Pizza oven would be great.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Its been slow going getting my bent peaces made but I'm finally done! I guess I have two peaces for the door, but that wont be to hard.

The frame is sturdier then I expected, and yet lighter at this point. Looking at around 50 pounds at the moment, with about 20 pounds yet to go. A more accurate measurement will come soon. Looking good so far to stay under 150 pounds, as the aluminium sheeting is very light, and should not amount to much more. The entire rear-trunk section will be made form sheeting like an airplane.

So I need to construct the door jam, door, mount the seat, and build the mounting points for the motorcycle at the back and the fork at the front, then I get to chop my bike in half. Fun! Progress will be slow over the next 2 weeks till the end of the term, then should intensify.

This picture is from the door side of the bike, looks kind of nosy doesn't it? My seat is actually 1 foot closer to the rear wheel then the front.
fully enclosed motorcycles will be part of the next generation of vehicles,Lit Motors just put up a video of them building a body out of metal,using standard metal working tools,it shows you what can be done.You guys are doing a great job and I for one, will be watching your progress in the near future.
Old 04-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Thanks for the info, very helpful. I think I will try a hot drape technique, over a mold. I don’t think I could get a good result blowing it because of the shape I need. The biggest problem I see is making/finding an oven large enough. I could make it but that would cost, and I have very little room in my single car garage. Maybe a powder coating place or a pottery kiln could work? The university might have one I could use….
Anyway ill fight that battle when I get to it I guess, for now making good progress on body. I finished the door frame and jam today and will be continuing to work toward a rolling chassis next weekend.

its always great to learn new things,but with a project like this,maybe you should go for a used or low cost aircraft canopy,the shape and measurement of the opening looks fairly common.Some times good projects like this are put on hold, because of failure in other area's.Try to make your own,but not at the expense of giving up on a great project like this.Make that last,get it up and rolling first.A guy called Todds canopy might be able to help you out .
Old 04-09-2012, 10:35 PM   #68 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Send a message via ICQ to Electictracer
I just realized that although I have been checking in frequently, I have not posted anything in around 2 weeks. It took longer then I thought to get the bike in one peace but it is done now. Sorry I dot have any good pictures yet because it is in the garage and it’s too big to make for a good photo. Once I get more of the rear section fabricated it will be sturdy enough to take out side for some glamor shots. I have some work to do building controls for steering and pushrods to run the shifter and rear brake before I put a coat of paint on the frame and start the next phase!

godscountry- "maybe you should go for a used or low cost aircraft canopy,the shape and measurement of the opening looks fairly common."

Unfortunately this option came to my consideration too late. In hindsight this would have been a good option because the molds already exist. I do believe I have worked out a method that should have a good chance of working and requires a much smaller oven and less material then I originally thought. Again, I guess I will just cross that bridge when I get to it and I won’t let it hold me back.

Thanks for checking it out. I saw your posts on the project 100 thread also. My British counterpart’s project is very interesting and similar in some respects, but more sophisticated then my own. I have to confess, my competitive nature has me wanting to finish my project before he does. Pete has had a bit of a head start, but looks to have some challenges ahead in fabricating a body, so it will be interesting to watch.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #69 (permalink)
Stick your neck out...

Some friendly rivalry!
I've been following your thread with interest, mostly because we have similarities in our vehicles but also because we seem to have common ideas.
As you say - I had a fair headstart, but you look to be catching up quick! My goal is for a operational but not legal test, by the end of this month followed by road testing in May. Note that none of my bodywork is structural and I will commence daily riding before fitting outer body panels (helps me judge aero value).
The pace of my progress has slowed due to the time consumption of small "finishing" jobs - look out for this, it will happen to you as well. I'll post a "to do" list on my thread so you can compare.

My biggest problem is trying to keep everything simple - i keep designing things with a view to final operation, making them too complex. I need to remind myself that the goal is a "fast failure", learn lessons and get it right next time.

About the canopy, we both have the same problem! We can't justify the expense of a professionally built one, so we need to do our own thing - I got a great book (An introduction to Thermoforming) and have started making my own machine. I will use vacuum formed panels over temporary (grp & bondo) male moulds for all my bodywork.

Wish you luck, and look forward to seeing some images
Pete
Old 04-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #70 (permalink)
Deadly Efficient

Olivia - '03 Pontiac Vibe base
90 day: 36.01 mpg (US)

R2-D2 - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.81 mpg (US)
Quote:
... Sorry I dot have any good pictures yet because it is in the garage and it’s too big to make for a good photo. Once I get more of the rear section fabricated it will be sturdy enough to take out side for some glamor shots...
We don't mind some clutter, honest! Looking forward to seeing what you've got.