Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2010, 04:53 PM   #2951 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Works great thanks paul! I guess my software will have to be yet another "special build" from now on

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #2952 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
Well you are a special person, Jack! hahahaha.
Old 02-14-2010, 04:08 AM   #2953 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Could I further press my luck by asking for a 5 second delay between the throttle hitting zero and the pin going low? Just dont want the contactor cycling all the time. Thanks again.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 AM   #2954 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here's the little control board. Just an npn transistor and a 5v changeover relay. Works great. Might even be useful for other applications.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	shunt_ctrl.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	5603  
Old 02-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #2955 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
sure Jack! Did the other modification actually work? I have never actually successfully compiled and then tested anything from the Linux build environment.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:36 AM   #2956 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Yeh it works great thanks. I'd just like a little delay (say 5 seconds) between throttle going to zero and the pin going low. Just saves wear on the contactor. Also in a failed power section situation I'd rely on the shunt field to stop the motor overspeeding.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:37 AM   #2957 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Got it Paul works great. Noticed one thing though. I setup a 10sec precharge , switched on , opened the throttle. Precharge expired then it went full throttle! Looks like the high pedal lockout doesnt work during precharge. So potential situation if someone unfamilliar with the car gets in , switches on , floors it "duh , this car dont work!" , precharge expires , contactor closes ..................................
Old 02-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #2958 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Could I further press my luck by asking for a 5 second delay between the throttle hitting zero and the pin going low? Just dont want the contactor cycling all the time. Thanks again.
Jack
I latch my throttle relay on throttle down and have it go off with clutch, brake (parking brake), over-rpm, and E button - probably doesn't help in your case but I did it as a safety feature.. If you want to adjust the delay (in hardware) use a mosfet on that relay and have it hold for an adjustable delay with a resistor/Cap on the gate..

OR-- LOL - have Paul zip you over a new Hex file ( I assume that's what is going on) --
Old 02-14-2010, 02:11 PM   #2959 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dave , yeh paul has sent me over a new hex file. The purpose of this setup is not to control the main contactor but the power to the shunt field section of my compound motor. It takes about 4 amps at 72v so no point having it on when sitting in traffic etc. I needed a delay on the turn off to stop the contactor jumping in and out when using light throttle and in the event of a controller failure the shunt field will stop the motor from overspeeding and give me a chance to turn the key off.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:50 PM   #2960 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Got it Paul works great. Noticed one thing though. I setup a 10sec precharge , switched on , opened the throttle. Precharge expired then it went full throttle! Looks like the high pedal lockout doesnt work during precharge. So potential situation if someone unfamilliar with the car gets in , switches on , floors it "duh , this car dont work!" , precharge expires , contactor closes ..................................
LOL I gotta look at the C code for that (if it is somewhere) - nice point Jack - I have done a similar lockout in "logic" on my board (no processor) BUT made me double check - guess my audio feedback could say " take your foot off the gas DUMMY -"...