Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free > Open ReVolt: open source DC motor controller
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #3131 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Hey I sometimes have to stay up a whole "24" hours

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #3132 (permalink)
PaulH

Michael's Electric Beetle - '71 Volkswagen Superbeetle 500000
Thanked 1,202 Times in 765 Posts
hahahahahahahaha!
Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #3133 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamj12b View Post
Hey Everybody,

So I finally got a chance to install my new driver boards on my controller the other night. I had to take the whole controller apart inorder to make the necessary modifications for them to work. The controller was designed from the beginning for a driver board, but after the first one I found some problems and changed the board to improve it. Well, Im super tired and cant really think of what to type, so here is a bunch of pictures.

-Adam
Nice! There's nothing like a great looking power section to give me the Warm and Fuzzies.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:58 AM   #3134 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackbauer View Post
Hey I sometimes have to stay up a whole "24" hours
Nope, not buying that for a second...you get to nap during the commercials.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:15 AM   #3135 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Request

HY all

do you know from where can i buy 2 aluminium heatspreaders
300mm lenght
100mm height
20-30 mm deep

thanks

my contoler is almost ready
thanks Paul & Adam
Old 03-11-2010, 07:57 AM   #3136 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hello great job you have here, My name is Ivailo Minikov from East Europe country Bulgaria ,Sofia city

I have some EV projects two bicycles and one BMW E36 here i have some info about them: wwwDOTevalbumDOTcom/3027

Now i want to make controller for series starter dc motor. I am using starter motor for a second electric bicycle and that thing runs on 12 volts with one button and one relay .
Yesterday i spend many hours building a dc controller.
I am not using PIC because i can't program it . I am using old chip with build in shim modulator. TL494
and mosfet driver tc4422

I have some success with one 400w dc motor with permanent magnets i drive it well watching in my oscilloscope. I test it on 30khz and it runs well.

After that i try it on starter dc motor and the schottky diode that i am using start smoking and after 3-4 seconds burned After that and four irf540 too and tc4422 driver too you know how it is .
Now i made some tests with lower frequency maybe 4khz here is video : wwwDOTyoutubeDOTcom/watch?v=5tmLC2JFfeE

I want to ask you what frequency is recommended for series dc motors ? Thank you for your time
Old 03-11-2010, 08:08 AM   #3137 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludiagsm View Post
Yesterday i spend many hours building a dc controller.
I am not using PIC because i can't program it . I am using old chip with build in shim modulator. TL494
and mosfet driver tc4422
Hi Ivailo,

If programming a pic is your only thing preventing you from using it, I am sure someone on this list could send you a programmed pic for a small fee. Paul has shipped my kit and can't wait to start building it and getting the rest of the car ready for it.

Greg
Old 03-11-2010, 08:21 AM   #3138 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Fordyce View Post
Hi Ivailo,

If programming a pic is your only thing preventing you from using it, I am sure someone on this list could send you a programmed pic for a small fee. Paul has shipped my kit and can't wait to start building it and getting the rest of the car ready for it.

Greg
Hi Greg that will be good solution too, it is nice to know people like you
Old 03-11-2010, 08:27 AM   #3139 (permalink)
ReVolt Enthusiast

Good Work !!!

Quote:
adamj12b - So I finally got a chance to install my new driver boards on my controller the other night. I had to take the whole controller apart inorder to make the necessary modifications for them to work. The controller was designed from the beginning for a driver board, but after the first one I found some problems and changed the board to improve it.
Hi Adam,

It’s nice to see your re-packaged ReVolt controller come together, I still really like that board to heatsink sandwich design !!!

It would have been nice to see your SMT ReVolt controller on top of it too …….

I would like to see others forum members take on and share ReVolt controller projects like yourself. Everyones open source ideas and input only make for a better ReVolt !

I'm still working on my re-packaged variation of the "Rev C-D" ReVolt and will share more after I nail down the new layout. I'm moving away from a multilayer busbar to a "heavy copper PCB" power board design (1000A?).

I hope that future ReVolt schematics and firmware will continued to be shared here in this forum for those of us that want to re-package our own ReVolts.

Keep up the good work,

-Mark
Old 03-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #3140 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

EVVette - '71 Chevy Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawickm View Post
It would have been nice to see your SMT ReVolt controller on top of it too …….

Keep up the good work,

-Mark
I know, I know......

I ran into some troubles with the 2 control boards that I showed being reflowed a few weeks back. Turns out that some of the power traces to the micro are messed up. I could fix them, but there are some other things that are really bugging me about it. Like 1: Make sure you know what parts you are going to use before you place the pads!!!!!! Trying to find parts with the right specs to fit pads can be almost impossible. I also used some surface mount stuff that is cheeper in a different package....Like the Vreg....If I used a D2PAK instead of a Dpack, I could knock off like $3 from 1 chip!!! so im going a light redesign to handle the new more economical and easier to obtain parts, then will be making that one. I also found a few other little things that really ticked me off. Like a resistor half under an IC....

I just picked up some stuff to chemically etch some boards. Thought I would give it a try. I will use the new control board as a test.

-Adam

You can download RTD Explorer for the Cougar controllers at www.EVVette.com
Reply  Post New Thread