Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Lucky No 19 - '11 Ram 1500 Express ST

Venti - '13 Ram 2500 Tradesman
Ready for some mods. 200SX

Well, I got my 1997 200SX SE-R.

I am planning on a full upper grill block, spoiler delete, and getting new front and rear bumpers.

I like the looks of the spoiler, sure, but I understand how bad a random piece of fiberglass sticking out into the air is...

The lower opening in the bumper cover is insanely HUGE. The Radiator is like 24" wide if even. The stock foglights are RUBBISH, turn signals blink brighter than them!

From what I understand the Sentra cover doesn't have the Foglight holes. The picture doesn't show it excellent, but both sides are 'mangled' and the cover needs replacement. It'll be a better start.

Need a lip below it, I tried to take the picture level with the car, and you can see there is plenty of crap hanging down below it. I'd also like some mini-spats for the tires.

Anywho, I'd love to hear some ideas. I'm even thinking of just making my own bumper that hangs about 2" lower and has postitive rake to it, to push all the air up over the car. We'll see. Not a very advanced 'fabricator' *yet*

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-25-2009, 08:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Flying Brick - '96 Pontiac Bonneville SE
90 day: 23.57 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to QuickLTD Send a message via Yahoo to QuickLTD
I wonder if that lip is removable from your bumper and if it would fit on a regular Sentras

Old 12-25-2009, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
OK!

as far as the lower lamps....scrap'em. Get a driving lite set at walmart. do you home work on driving lite vs fog light. here ia picture from the inside of my bumper. Used strap metal found at home depot inthe lumber section. already has holes and is thinck enough to hold it's shape.

The I created a custom grille....you dont need to:

Since your going to put a clear plastic over it you dont need a grille, I did the front bumber several yrs before I became a ECOMODDER.

The clear plastic is very thin and strurdy. It is from a POSTER picture frme at walmart. 10bucks. Cheapest frame for posters.

I would some foam strips to fill in the top grille completely. The cover the opening on each side leaving the center bottom open.

Buy a scangauge II asap. It can give you a lot of feed back on tests.

If you do some freeway driving I'd look at going 1 size up on the tires. I 'd increase the psi today in what you have.

The underbelly pan is time consoming. Find a local muffler shop that's not busy and ask if you can look under your car. Really helps to get the big picture visually.

good luck!

test test test!!!
Old 12-26-2009, 12:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I like the looks of the spoiler, sure, but I understand how bad a random piece of fiberglass sticking out into the air is...
I wouldn't dismiss it so quickly. It may be helpful if the rear glass angle is too steep to keep attached flow (which it probably is).

Unfortunately the only way to be certain is to test it - A-B-A coastdown testing would be good.
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 12-30-2009, 07:26 PM   #5 (permalink)
Casual Modder

White Egg - '92 Nissan NX2000 SE
Last 3: 29.69 mpg (US)
Welcome to the SR20DE world Jethro.
I drive a '93 NX2000, the predecessor to the 200SX SE-R, I've had it since it was new. Here is a mod I did to the front of my car: Undertray Trashed? Make Your Own! - SR20 Forum
Even with all of my power modifications (making about 165 at the crank now) I average 29.5 MPG and got over 33.5 MPG on a 395 mile highway trip on Monday with the above undertray mod, air deflectors in front of the front tires & suspension arms and inflating the tires to 44 PSI. I also used the Driving With Load Technique and keeping an average of 73 MPH.
The nose from any B14 (95-99) Sentra will fit on your car without modification so start checking your recycling yards!
Old 12-31-2009, 12:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
rear spoiler

When the snow clears,and if its not critical to your visibility when backing into a parking space at the curb,you might take some cardboard and duct tape,and completely close off the openings through the rear spoiler.Extend the top forward until it contacts the trunklid and bend the sides over to block air spilling under the "end-plates".
See if that doesn't show up at the pump.
P.S. you could also extend the cardboard back, even with the back of the bumper for more savings.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

I'm sure it's an oddity... But I blocked off the upper grill, and slowed down From 80 to 73, on my trip home from Denver yesterday. I filled up here in Los Alamos (when I got home).

I showed 37 MPGs. All other runs in the car (mostly highway with some city) have been 30. They have also been with the cruise set at 80-84ish, and not canceling it on hills (which there are TONS of around here.

Even if it was an oddity, it was super impressive! I was very excited to hit almost 40 MPG. (A mark, which in my mind is unreal!). I also noticed cruising at that speed is very 'peaceful' You have an occasional semi truck to pass, but all and all you just cruise.

The extra time required for that 400+ mile trip did kinda suck, but hey, for like 25% better mileage, it might just be worth it! I am going to try and make a proper upper grill block (Red Duct Tape right now) that does NOT involve ANY 'tape' Lol!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:25 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
I'm sure it's an oddity... But I blocked off the upper grill, and slowed down From 80 to 73, on my trip home from Denver yesterday. I filled up here in Los Alamos (when I got home).

I showed 37 MPGs. All other runs in the car (mostly highway with some city) have been 30. They have also been with the cruise set at 80-84ish, and not canceling it on hills (which there are TONS of around here.

Even if it was an oddity, it was super impressive! I was very excited to hit almost 40 MPG. (A mark, which in my mind is unreal!). I also noticed cruising at that speed is very 'peaceful' You have an occasional semi truck to pass, but all and all you just cruise.

The extra time required for that 400+ mile trip did kinda suck, but hey, for like 25% better mileage, it might just be worth it! I am going to try and make a proper upper grill block (Red Duct Tape right now) that does NOT involve ANY 'tape' Lol!
WELCOME Grasshopper!

There is certainly a ZEN to getting good mpg. I have had over 20 speeding tickets in my younger days. I was addicted. While the avalon (2000-05) helped, The Q (2005 to present) has brought a since of calm and enjoyment. Wait until u get any kind of a guage!!!!

So major congradulations

(don't forget......you polished the headlamps .......that's worth atleast .00005 mpgs)

seriously, when you get your ECOMODDER.COM sticker your automaticly ger 2 more mpgs
The Following User Says Thank You to mcrews For This Useful Post:
Jethro (01-03-2010)
Old 01-03-2010, 01:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Getting BETTER Mileage

Ha, I was going to put on my Dakota-Durango.Com sticker.
But realized it would instantly cut my mileage in 2!

It must have been the polished headlamps!

I am going to get a SGII soon. I already know where it's getting mounted so it'll be easy to monitor at all times. Also going to get LED turnsignal / running light bulbs front and rear.
Figure if I minimize the load on the alternator, the less it has to 'work'.
(Ok, I really just want LED bulbs)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:49 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Jethro,(ok, I just want LED bubs) your sooooo transparent!!! lol
Nothin wrong with FE & COOL!

If you are going to be doing 'trips' alot, consider going up a size on your tires. I went from 245/45/18 to 255/45/18. about 3%. Since I'm on the road about 70% of the time, it has helped with the mpgs. lowering the final rpm when I am cruising down the road.

Reply  Post New Thread