Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-20-2020, 10:42 AM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,207 Times in 4,640 Posts
should I ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcyclist View Post
I want to see this version tested.
I'd just follow Ford's contour,as if you were completing it with a french curve. I'd also just drop the side aprons (capping plates) down the the bottom of the glass, enclosing as much side area as you can. You'll have a little more blind-spot, so use your side mirrors frequently to know your driving environment at all times.

bobo333 (05-20-2020)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #62 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rozy - '09 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
I'd just follow Ford's contour,as if you were completing it with a french curve. I'd also just drop the side aprons (capping plates) down the the bottom of the glass, enclosing as much side area as you can. You'll have a little more blind-spot, so use your side mirrors frequently to know your driving environment at all times.
can you elaborate on that with a crude drawing on top of my photo?

also, took a picture after few days on a dusty road, notice that the sections in the sides have less dust than the center section which does not have a hole....so this means....what ? that the holes are working or not?

aerohead (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 12:27 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Elaborate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post

also, took a picture after few days on a dusty road, notice that the sections in the sides have less dust than the center section which does not have a hole....so this means....what ? that the holes are working or not?

I don't know how to draw online. Sorry! What you're looking for would be like the 1987 Renault Vesta-II or Mercedes-Benz Bionic car. These are both 'Kamm-back' cars. Chopped off at the back like a loaf of bread.
For the limited length we're talking about,you can't expect to see any significant gains,although you'd be set up for boat-tailing should you ever choose that.
The slots on your 'wing' provide a downwash to help prevent dust from the turbulent wake from accumulating on the glass.
If you had a horizontal rubber fin,on the edge of the hatch,just above the blue oval badge, this might help keep some of that dust sequestered away,but it would need to be rubber,for pedestrian safety.
With that,you could extend your 'wing',seal those holes, and enclose the sides;creating an air-tight cavity,which would allow a little flow deceleration and higher pressure before separation,leading to less pressure drag.
Any meaningful drag reduction could only come from a box-cavity or boat-tail. Hucho has personally tested both technologies and they're the only two devices that ever 'showed' drag reduction.(the 2016 Mercedes-Benz IAA concept does this with an extensible boat-tail section,a lineal descendent of Fachsenfeld's FKFS design of 1935 for the K-cars).
bobo333 (05-20-2020), eagle (05-23-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 01:52 PM   #64 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
I could. But I'd have to down the pic, Photochop it and up it again. All you would see is the trailing edge of the sail panel, instead of aligning with the bumper cut line, would be essentially vertical and extend to the body crease that bisects the taillight.

Easier to repost an old pic.

That said, if you still need it I will take the time.

Old 05-20-2020, 02:15 PM   #65 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Audi A2

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I could. But I'd have to down the pic, Photochop it and up it again. All you would see is the trailing edge of the sail panel, instead of aligning with the bumper cut line, would be essentially vertical and extend to the body crease that bisects the taillight.

Easier to repost an old pic.

That said, if you still need it I will take the time.
That's a great example freebeard! Coventry University folks cut drag from Cd 0.288, down to Cd 0.204. Really sweet!
California98Civic (05-20-2020), freebeard (05-20-2020)
Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 PM   #66 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Back in 2013, I posted that Coventry study. I tried to imitate the box cavity, but it was beyond my design and testing ability. Anyway, I included another part of that study in my thread that is also of interest. Here:
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-22-2020), bobo333 (05-22-2020), eagle (05-23-2020), freebeard (05-20-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 02:32 AM   #67 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rozy - '09 Ford Fiesta Zetec S

that is what I am talking about

I am thinking that apart from the extension the sides should come down and be "bent" / enclosed to the inside for a more boat tail effect
aerohead (05-22-2020)
Old 05-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #68 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
... If you had a horizontal rubber fin,on the edge of the hatch,just above the blue oval badge, this might help keep some of that dust sequestered away,but it would need to be rubber,for pedestrian safety. ...
I can visualize it, but do you know examples? I think eagle could experiment with sturdy cardboard fins, attached with painter's tape, which should hold fine for testing in a spot like this on the car.

Quote:

I am thinking that apart from the extension the sides should come down and be "bent" / enclosed to the inside for a more boat tail effect
You can experiement with lots of positions. Tuft testing will help you understand what to keep.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-22-2020), eagle (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:25 AM   #69 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

'bent'

Quote:

I'd advocate that the new 'green' lines extend down to the crease in the hatch,just above where the Ford oval emblem is,enclosing more volume.
eagle (05-23-2020)
Old 05-22-2020, 11:38 AM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

example

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
I can visualize it, but do you know examples? I think eagle could experiment with sturdy cardboard fins, attached with painter's tape, which should hold fine for testing in a spot like this on the car.

You can experiement with lots of positions. Tuft testing will help you understand what to keep.
I caught a glimpse of the Lamborghini Urus SUV the other day,which,I think,has a small,horizontal fin/spoiler,extending horizontally from the hatch.If the rear 'wing'were extended all the way,even with the fin,and sides installed to close it all in,you'd have a 'Kamm- back.'
This 'elongation' allows for flow deceleration and pressure recovery before it ultimately separates, increasing base pressure,and lowering pressure drag.
It would aggravate rear vision.With today's availability of synthetic vision,this issue becomes less and less a challenge to overcome.