Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2014, 02:46 AM   #41 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'm typically of the opinion that government should stay out of the way of the market, and this is no exception. However, there is a chance this regulation will pay for itself. Not only is it expected to save lives, but it should also prevent many injuries. Then there is property that will be kept from damage due to increased visibility. It seems more cars over a certain age have rear bumper damage from feeling their way around the parking lot.

While I don't think it's necessary to require backup cameras, there is an endless list of other things the government has no business fooling with (especially subsidies).

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-02-2014, 03:06 AM   #42 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Send a message via MSN to markweatherill
I hope the technology will allow for the camera feeds (including a front facing camera) to be viewed on the driver's mobile phone, as that's where most of the target audience for this technology will be looking most of the time.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to markweatherill For This Useful Post:
Frank Lee (04-02-2014), NachtRitter (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 07:38 AM   #43 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
But they're saving children! No cost is too great when children are at stake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by from the article
With NHTSA reportedly employing a statistical cost of $6.1 million as the financial worth of a human life, this legislation is expected to cost between $11.8 million and $19.7 million per life saved.

Yet NHTSA's analysis doesn't discount the "emotional cost" of accidentally killing children is something that lies outside the scope of its normal cost-benefit analysis:

"The agency recognizes that most people place a high value on the lives of children and that there is a general consensus regarding the need to protect children as they are unable to protect themselves," the report said. "As backover-crash victims are often struck by their immediate family members or caretakers, it is the Department's opinion that an exceptionally high emotional cost, not easily convertible to monetary equivalents, is often inflicted upon the familes of backover crash victims."
The mandate will mean that every dashboard will have a screen of some kind embedded in it. The automakers were heading that direction anyway, for example virtual gauge clusters directly in front of the driver. So that additional cost will be a wash, in my view. And the cameras themselves should cost pennies by then; heck, they're cheap enough to be giveaways now. My bet is that this mandate will end up being pretty cheap to implement.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM   #44 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by markweatherill View Post
I hope the technology will allow for the camera feeds (including a front facing camera) to be viewed on the driver's mobile phone, as that's where most of the target audience for this technology will be looking most of the time.

Created by botsapper- DSV - 4/2/2014...starting a website that would be a video-sharing & stitching together 360 degree views from all vehicles; crashes, accidents, voyeurs, shenanigans, severe weather conditions, meteors in the sky, crime-fighting evidence, and even UFO sightings.

...Google will give me billions!

Reply  Post New Thread