Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Marina View Post
Got up early one morning because I found a Marina a guy was scrapping and he offered everything I could strip off it for cheap.
OMG a Marina. I used to work on them back when they were new cars. I'm not sure whether to congratulate you, or feel sorry for you!
Quote:
I could not stop in time and smashed the living crap out of him, he went into a ditch. All I heard was plastic crunching.

Luckily , a highway patrol sitting on the side witnessed this idiot which will help me since he ran to get an attorney for all his alleged back, neck and shoulder pains.
Sounds like that was what he was looking for - a nice bit of insurance fraud to keep him from having to find real work.

Good luck with your Marina project. You'll have a, errrr, unique vehicle when you get it all done. (I might still have some lever shock oil around here somewhere...)

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdb View Post
OMG a Marina. I used to work on them back when they were new cars. I'm not sure whether to congratulate you, or feel sorry for you!
Sounds like that was what he was looking for - a nice bit of insurance fraud to keep him from having to find real work.

Good luck with your Marina project. You'll have a, errrr, unique vehicle when you get it all done. (I might still have some lever shock oil around here somewhere...)
Felt sorry for it. Guy was going to crush it along with a bunch of others and I picked it up for dirt cheap. The body is very good which is surprising since it sat out so long. I'll never be able to afford a Shelby Mustang or any collector car like that so this will have to do. Can't say the Marina has been a bad experience, restoring an old car can relieve plenty of stress and this one has not really hurt my wallet. I also have another orphan, a Peugeot diesel but unlike the Marina it rides nice and is very comfortable.

I just hope a piano doesn't drop on top of it

As for the idiot, I'm glad my young children were not in the cab of the truck. That's the problem with these troublemakers, with all these minivans and other crossovers having dark tinted glass you have no idea who could be in the back seat.

I have ***heard*** in some states if you get out of your vehicle and get in theirs (in an aggressive threatening manner) it's seen similar as to breaking into their home and they can pretty much shoot you if they think their life is in danger.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:48 PM   #23 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Marina View Post
Felt sorry for it. Guy was going to crush it along with a bunch of others and I picked it up for dirt cheap. The body is very good which is surprising since it sat out so long. I'll never be able to afford a Shelby Mustang or any collector car like that so this will have to do. Can't say the Marina has been a bad experience, restoring an old car can relieve plenty of stress and this one has not really hurt my wallet. I also have another orphan, a Peugeot diesel but unlike the Marina it rides nice and is very comfortable.

I just hope a piano doesn't drop on top of it

As for the idiot, I'm glad my young children were not in the cab of the truck. That's the problem with these troublemakers, with all these minivans and other crossovers having dark tinted glass you have no idea who could be in the back seat.

I have ***heard*** in some states if you get out of your vehicle and get in theirs (in an aggressive threatening manner) it's seen similar as to breaking into their home and they can pretty much shoot you if they think their life is in danger.
In Ohio, the castle doctrine does apply to ones vehicle.

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Old 06-18-2013, 01:08 PM   #24 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
Even if it doesn't, it's not like you have anywhere to retreat to. The car's immobilized and you're restrained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 08-17-2013, 03:01 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Around 10 drivers a day in Irvine probably get annoyed with me.

Honestly I can't understand what is up with them. I accelerate briskly at every green light, but when I spot a red I immediately ease off the gas and let the car coast.

IS THAT SO WRONG and does flooring it, glaring at me and overtaking me to be first to the red light really help you get to your destination faster?

Get a clue, folks. You can waste your money, I'm not wasting mine.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:12 AM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Chief - '06 Pontiac Grand Prix
90 day: 26.7 mpg (US)

SF1 - '12 Ford Fiesta S
90 day: 30.95 mpg (US)
They just can't think thirty seconds into the future..
Old 08-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #27 (permalink)
Ecomodest

The Van - '97 Chevy Astro AWD cargo van
90 day: 14.03 mpg (US)
My best one.
13-14 years ago I drove an 85 Toyota 2wd SR5 long bed p/u, still miss that little truck, avg 28mpg.
Morning commute in heavy traffic on a 4 lane. 2 blocks up from the light the road splits. Traffic stops but theres enough room for me to get through the light and be clear of the intersection when Joe Eclipse, yes another one, swerves over in front off me. I stomp on the binders and manage to stop just inches from clipping him, I toss my hands in the air to gesture WTH. For the next 2 block's "he's" in control and is going to school me by only driving 3-4 mph. We get to the split and the road turn's back to a 4 lane. As soon as the second lane open's up I accelerator and change lane's, only to have him nearly clean the bugs off my license plate cutting me off. I down swift, abrupt faint to the right, drop the hammer, dump the clutch and take him on the left. A few blocks down the road I'm in the curb lane and he's next to me at the light and I can hear him over my radio screaming his head off and blasting his horn. Apparently he has really pissed himself off, I just ignored him. Light turn's green and as we start to move he swerves at me. I look over and he points a small revolver at me. I duck and slam the hammer down, cut off a few cars making a left through the intersection from the curb lane. I look in the mirror hoping he couldn't make the turn, no such luck. As we'er ripping through narrow semi rural residential streets at 60-70 mph, street's I frequent in the company's 35' box truck, I'm loosing him in the turn's but he's catching me on the strait's. I head for a T'd intersection, hard on the brake's, drop into 2nd, dump the clutch and flip a 180 in a cloud of smoke. I look into the mirror to see him sideways and stopped just short of putting his Eclipes in a country ditch. Informed the local PD and Sheriff about it once I got to work.
Made that same commute for another year and never saw him again, although I did leave the house 20 min's earlier for the next 6-8 weeks.
It's amazing how mad they can get at others for their own screw up's and bad driving.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

wrx - '02 subaru impreza wrx wagon
90 day: 33.81 mpg (US)

Leg - '05 Subaru Legacy 2.5i
Had a nice encounter with a trucker the other day. I was cruising at the 5mph over the posted speed limit on a three lane highway, I was in the center lane. Granted truckers can't use the fast lane though it happens, he refused to. He got in the slow lane on his first attempt and couldn't beat the slower traffic to get in front of me. He had also beeped his horn like I could have gone anywhere, there was traffic. I continued on and would have gotten over eventually but between slower traffic and people getting in either lane to pass I couldn't. The trucker got in the slow lane a second time and get 85% of his truck in front of me when he decided to merge in front of me. I don't get it, half the time you tail a rig they slow down ridiculously low, not this guy.

Then again it's common in my area, if you tail someone they slow down, most the time below the posted speed limit. Most of the time you even if your over a car length or more, then if you pass them they speed up to avoid you being in front of them.
Old 08-21-2013, 03:51 AM   #29 (permalink)
The PRC.

Merging is one of those things that really annoys me. The road planners (ha!) here have installed lights onto the on-ramps of a motorway I use. The theory is that the traffic joining is filtered so the road doesn't reach full capacity. However as the lights let out 8-10 cars each time you just end up with a line of nose-to-tail cars all in a hurry to pull out asap which of course leads to "conflict" with the cars already there.

And of course those who merge whilst not matching the speed of traffic already there.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
All the cute stories in this thread are entertaining. Here's one that's educational.

Suspected hit and run perp shot by CHP, road rage victim may be paralyzed. Witnesses said this was a road rage incident escalated into attempted murder.

All of my vehicles have dash cams installed. They may be mouse milk, but that's better than nothing.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
Reply  Post New Thread