Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2010, 11:11 PM   #31 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
Hi All,
this is a great thread with some good alternatives for instrumentation. I have read through it and added the alternatives found in this thread to the wiki
MPGuino DIY fuel consumption computer - EcoModder

I would be interested if anyone has any user feedback for the plx kiwi or maxitrip so I can add it in.

Also has anyone found a instrument that will log to USB or do datalogging in general. I have this on my home made fuel usage meter and I have found it very useful to be able to log each second the amount of fuel and the speed. Its very good to see what mod is best for you as you can see under what conditions your fuel is being used the most, if it’s while your idling at lights or highway driving or accelerating.
If anyone is interested in this concept looks like something can be done with the mpguino but it may require a laptop or cellphone to log the data (sorry I am not very familiar with the design)
Alternatively if anyone knows how to write iphone apps maybe with the iphone obd adaptor this function could be enabled using the iphone as the data storage. The software provided with the cord may already have datalogging option.

Doesn't worry me since I already have usb logging but just thought id mention it for others.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #32 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Quote:
Originally Posted by saand View Post
Also has anyone found a instrument that will log to USB or do datalogging in general. I have this on my home made fuel usage meter and I have found it very useful to be able to log each second the amount of fuel and the speed.
How did you make that ?

There's OBD2 gear that goes right into an iPhone and the like, these should be able to log - or at least could be made to log if the app designer can be bothered to include that feature.

Old 09-11-2010, 05:09 AM   #33 (permalink)
Wiki Writer

bugler - '91 Mazda 626
90 day: 35.89 mpg (US)
my fuel meter works off the injector signal for fuel amount used.

its done with a custom PCB that i routed at work, runs a MSP430 (free sample from TI).

Logs data to USB by serial comms to a device called a vdrive2 from viniculum. It wouldn't be my first choice for using a USB drive but had one lieing around at work so i made use of it

There are probably microcontollers or specific chips that would interface to a USB drive in a better way if anyone wants to do this for themselves.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:30 AM   #34 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
How did you make that ?

There's OBD2 gear that goes right into an iPhone and the like, these should be able to log - or at least could be made to log if the app designer can be bothered to include that feature.
I'm wondering what I might find if I put a netbook (I have a few, 8 or 9 at the last count - I think I have a problem ) and a network cable into the spare socket on the SG2 ?
Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 AM   #35 (permalink)
dcb
needs more cowbell

pimp mobile - '81 suzuki gs 250 t
90 day: 96.29 mpg (US)

schnitzel - '01 Volkswagen Golf TDI
90 day: 53.56 mpg (US)
Your computer will print out the words "Paul is a dead man"
Old 09-11-2010, 09:14 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm pleased with my Ultra-guage sofar. Works as advertised. No battery draw downs here (I suspect that person let theirs in the menu function before leaving the vehicle overnight which does not shut the thing off). I'm also guessing scan guage will soon be lowering their price point; good to see there is some competition in the sector now
Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #37 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
How did you make that ?

Well there is the thing at gopoint tech (sorry I can't link yet)

But I gather from what I read Apple recommends wifi connects instead. There are obdII wifi senders out there but they aren't cheep ($100+ ) then there is the issue of software for your iphone or ipod or ipad... there this one: REV (search the apple app store and you'll find it) probably others as well . Not sure about data logging features though

Reply  Post New Thread