Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2021, 10:43 AM   #141 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
Not sure you can predict accurately out 5 years anymore. Here, they are building so many apartments that it will put us over a.couple million population or the apartment market is going to crater in price. I bet the price craters, but have no skin in the game.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-23-2022, 06:28 AM   #142 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
YouTube kept showing me Aircrete videos

I was trying to figure out if a solar water heater would be viable, but all that I got out of it was that solar water heaters are quite complicated.

I wasn't logged into YouTube, so it was showing me random stuff, or at least not get-rich-quick schemes like [checks history] Linus Tech Tips, apparently.

This guy came up with his own aircrete generator. I guess that it is simpler than HoneyD'oh Carpenter's: This sounded cool, but he kept referring to things that he wasn't discussing in that video, and he didn't show the whole dome-building process.

It didn't seem like he showed very much of it:This was more interesting. The guy said that he tried other guys' aircrete formulae and they didn't work, but he tried different stuff, and shredded recycled styrofoam worked for him.

He made a 2-story building out of it and it held up without reinforcement:Well, the first guy may have been trying to sell DLCs. I don't know if the other guys were directly trying to sell anything. They seemed to give all of the information in the video.

I really should have gotten to bed hours ago. I am already 15% through Xistday!
Old 10-07-2022, 10:02 PM   #143 (permalink)
Not Doug

The child labor running The King of Random tried to invent aircrete

She made a cement boat, one with cement and styrofoam beads, and one with cement and fiberglass fibers. She did talk about concrete battleships, but there were several comments about concrete canoe competitions and some people said she should have made aircrete.

The video is now 6 hours old and has 12,764 views and 84 comments.

They would have had more views if they collaborated with the Honey Do Carpenter!
Old 10-07-2022, 11:28 PM   #144 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Don't try this at home, make a 4000 degree foundry instead?

Lonely male mold seeks female mold for goodness sake.

Steel spalls. Fiberglass or basalt textiles won't. Flash graphene is worth trying, it's easy to make.

Old 10-11-2022, 06:31 AM   #145 (permalink)
Not Doug

What do you do with a drunken sailor

Errr... A glass bottle?

Fun. I spent an entire day researching this and 75 minutes summarizing this for you guys--into a little over a page in Word.

It is 0330, I still haven't written any those progress reports that were due tonight. I haven't even found the tab for it, although I did close a number of tabs.

I have needed to put Lappy back to sleep 11 times so far.

Stay asleep!

So, recycling. I posted once that my roommates refused to recycle. One said "It can use more resources than garbage" and everyone else swore off trying to recycle because sometimes.

There are those who refuse to recycle because they insist wage slaves should separate the pizza grease from their pizza boxes.

Many people say "Don't use plastic! It is choking the ocean!"

I don't have any idea where to recycle glass. Supposedly there is a place in Pinetop Lakeside, but I can't find an address on-line, and I only found out that much recently.

I remembered a video of glass recycling machines the size of a soda machine which would pulverize it into dust, it would be shipped to Owens Corning, and they would spin fiberglass out of it.

Funny, the slivers I get from setting up tents with fiberglass tent poles don't seem to have anything to do with glass and sand, but they pulverize bottles and spin the sand into fiberglass!

Well, they convert it into cotton candy first. Do that, The King of Random!

Nevermind, they got... weird.

Here is a similar machine, but they just dump the pulverized glass on the beach: Yes, because it was sand. Somehow I thought you would get tiny shards of glass, but maybe that depends on how you get it.

Apparently desert sand is too round from being blown against each other for millennia—or an epoch—and isn’t suitable for concrete. These pulverizers pulverize pulverizedly and the grains of sand are just rounded enough, useful for all industries, but not going to shred your skin. I believe they said they used rounded hammers, which wouldn’t leave it jagged like square hammers would.

This process is explained here: I have three boxes of bottles in the garage because I should be able to recycle them somewhere and the glass we use slowly adds up.

I couldn't find that video, but I spent all day researching it.

Can I pulverize bottles myself and then use the sand for aircrete? Yes, but I don't want to.

In the first video I saw about this she complained that they needed to transport glass hundreds of miles and I think that is a large part of the reason that many cities no longer recycle glass.

These college students couldn’t recycle glass, so they researched it, and started smashing it themselves. They sell some of it to glass manufacturers and they use the rest to attempt to fight flooding and eroding.

I shared this on Imgur and it was one of my most popular posts, but most comments were telling people who would never see my content how they should and shouldn’t use the sand they made and saying “Duh, you make glass from sand, if you crush glass you just make sand!”

Except the post-consumer sand is one-third other ingredients.

They received a grant to establish it isn't harmful: It looks like the problem is that Americans won't separate recyclables like Europeans.
Americans won't separate recyclables from trash...
https://cen.acs.org/materials/inorga...S-broken/97/i6

Last edited by Xist; 10-11-2022 at 11:58 AM..
Old 10-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #146 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
I do a lot of recycling inside my coal furnace.
Tires, used oil, trash, plastics, paper, old shoes, old boots, used oil filters, old furniture. Only 2 criteria, 1 it burns, 2 it fits in the coal furnace or I can make it fit.
Glass, tile, porcelain, get saved, smashed along with small bits of steel get turned it into concrete.
I have a little pile of scrap steel for steel reinforcement in concrete.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 10-11-2022 at 10:18 AM..
Old 10-11-2022, 11:01 AM   #147 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,112 Times in 981 Posts
I am wondering how you aren't getting build up in the chimney or flue on your furnace. Lot of that stuff doesn't fully burn
Old 10-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #148 (permalink)
Not Doug

Is your scrap steel all approximately rebar-shaped?

I have old brake rotors, which would make poor candidates!
Old 10-11-2022, 12:14 PM   #149 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Steel reinforced concrete tears itself apart through spalling. If you want something permanent use glass or basalt fiber.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:39 PM   #150 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,528 Times in 2,802 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I am wondering how you aren't getting build up in the chimney or flue on your furnace. Lot of that stuff doesn't fully burn
I get it really hot. Only thing that smokes is tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
Is your scrap steel all approximately rebar-shaped?

I have old brake rotors, which would make poor candidates!
It's anything. Barbed wire, cabinet sliders, bits of chain link fence, lawn mower blades, cutoffs, old pipe, wire grids, nails and other hardware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Steel reinforced concrete tears itself apart through spalling. If you want something permanent use glass or basalt fiber.
I pour a layer, add the steel keeping it at least 2 inches from the edge and put another layer on top of it. So it's a concrete sandwich with steel in the middle.

Reply  Post New Thread