Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2019, 09:29 PM   #61 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xist View Post
That sounds like how I built the fence. Do you think I would be approved a permit to build with 6' girts?

In theory, I could find a relatively cheap box truck, but I would probably need to drive it up from the valley, use it to haul stuff to the dump, undo the U-bolts, set up the box in the back yard, and sell the truck.

That sounds like a weird solution!

I have been trying to price structural insulated panels, but while I find many sites for various manufacturers, I find very few places actually selling them.

This site says a 4.5-inch thick panel is R-16 and costs $162.56.

I would need eleven panels: $1,788.16. We are approaching aircrete territory, but I see fewer ways to mess up, and no theoretical catastrophic failures.

This place has 1.5-inch boards, 2", and 6.5-inch boards, but only have OSB on one side, although I could hang drywall on the inside. R-22.1, $123.95 each, and $1,363.45 for 11.

SIPs are supposed to be stronger than normal wooden frames, but Ray-core builds SIPs with normal wooden frames and claims that they are as little as half the cost of their competitors--but they do not advertise prices: https://raycore.com/sips-panels-cost-pricing/

They say a 3.5-inch wall is R-26.
Singcore by Olympia WA looks good. They say they no longer support homeowner projects but I do see some kits and things on their page and sometimes stuff shows up on Ebay from them as well.
Non-warping patented wooden pivot door, sliding door, and Eco-friendly metal cores – Warp-free, lightweight, custom door cores

The Following User Says Thank You to Hersbird For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-23-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-23-2019, 09:49 PM   #62 (permalink)
Banned

I found that the mixing of aircrete it's not a so simple machine to built. Check this guy's explanation :

https://youtu.be/sjQcZ_NARBU?t=388
The Following User Says Thank You to All Darc For This Useful Post:
freebeard (04-24-2019)
Old 04-23-2019, 10:30 PM   #63 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Thanks for remembering, I was trying to think of the name.

I searched the article and found one instance of the word geopolymer
Quote:
According to the caller, the mysteries had actually been solved by Joseph Davidovits, Director of the Geopolymer Institute in St. Quentin, France, more than two decades ago.
That's the term of art. Rock is generally either sedimentary, metamorphic or igneous. Sedimentary would be easy, metamorphic would require pressure and heat (like a Cinva-Ram press?) but less than igneous which would be like a fired ceramic.

The Egyptians also made bottles out of diorite by the thousands. Not sure how they did that diorite is hard.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/22/ee...63a9236331.jpg

Old 04-24-2019, 01:18 AM   #64 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I will contact Ray-core when I finally have blueprints. R-26 in a 3.5-inch wall? Yes please!

I have read a couple of times that SIPs cost 10% more than normal stud walls, but 10% more for double the R-value?

All Darc, the bamboo roof is interesting, but I am unsure how to insulate that. The guy who built the shed said he did not like Dome Gaia's foammaker, so he made his own.

Hersbird, I will read about the pyramids, but everybody knows they were landing sites for alien spacecraft. I did not see anything by Singcore on eBay, but I did see this $10,000 tiny house: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Grey-Tiny-H...gAAOSwfchcq7JJ

I am unsure how it qualifies as a house. It is so small that they do not list the dimensions, but it has Singcore walls!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:16 AM   #65 (permalink)
Not Doug

Elon Musk said that he would make interlocking earth block from the rock excavated from his tunnels: https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...s-homes-2018-3
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 AM   #66 (permalink)
Banned

There are molds for lego like aircrete bricks :

Old 04-24-2019, 12:52 PM   #67 (permalink)
Not Doug

He made interlocking bricks for a raised garden, but I would not want to use aircrete for a structure until it could be approved for a permit. It seems that his shed passed because it had studs, but a design with 2x4s instead of two metal studs would save hundreds of dollars, although that still seems like a fraction of the cost.

The problem is that you cannot just use one 2x4 per panel because you need to attach them. Would they approve two 1x4s nailed together? Wouldn't two 1x4s be thinner than one 2x4? Supposedly a 1" is board is 3/4" thick, but everything 2"+ is half an inch smaller.

Supposedly earth blocks meet code, but I would need to check first. Right now it looks like neither of these are my best option.
Old 04-24-2019, 04:46 PM   #68 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I like those cylindrical blocks. Maybe with two (pegs/ears?) instead of one. That's a lot of sheemetal forms. If the plywood was pressed down from the top, I think the form could be stripped earlier and you'd need fewer. Else extrude a simple cylinder and CNC the (pegs/ears?) while the block is still green.

All Darc — Do you know how they slide the pipes out to release the blocks from the mold? You could do something similar with a vertical hole through the blocks that Xist showed but half the rebar would be exposed.

Old 04-25-2019, 06:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Not Doug

I searched Craigslist for sheds and found this:

10' 20' 30' 40' 45' Storage Shipping Containers - MAGAT Patriots ONLY

$2,850 for a Grade A Cargoworthy container.

$100 for Turnip supporters. That would be difficult.

Just to clarify, that is a discount, not a bounty.

"Liberals pay 25% more. just kidding, liberals don't pay more because I don't want to do business with a single one of you."

Much of the post and twenty-one pictures are pretty angry.

"ALL NRA Life members get a $50 discount on each container purchased. If you're not an NRA member and want to become one, then I will discount your unit if you buy an NRA membership or gift one to someone else."

"NRA Life Memberships Only $600.00 You Save $900.00!"

I can save $1,500 by keeping my money. I would need to purchase twelve conexes to break even.

One problem is that there are only about 7' of clearance between the house and the fence and that is only if I take out the gates or side fence and the gate posts!

One of the gate posts is 6x6 pressure treated and sunk in five bags of concrete!

There are neighbors on three sides, so we cannot go over a fence.

I quickly looked into greenhouses, just thinking that I could use one until it cooled back down, and then move Mom's garden into it.

Greenhouses are really weak sheds.

Bonus round! Keywords!

Quote:
We have portable storage, container, containers, cargo container, storage container, portable containers, new, brand new, job site, job office, shed, farm, ranch, job box, industrial, portable offices, secure file storage, mini secure warehouse, secure maintenance building, guard shacks, equipment storage, mini storage, feed storage, welding shop, workshop, secure tool box, jobsite tool box, shop, secure equipment storage, steel shop, secure shop, rental unit, construction storage, household storage, records storage, office storage, retail storage, self secure storage, secure space, moving, transport, trucking, moving, rental, rentable shop, rentable storage, rain proof, water and wind, security, secure, guarded, guard, mobile, mini, storage, firewood storage, tack shed, livestock feed storage, secure storage, lockable, lock, safety, tractor storage, equipment storage, conex box, conex container, portable shop, tools, tool shop, secure tool shop, secure tool shop, watertight tool storage, furniture storage, secure furniture storage, safe secure storage, 20 ft mini secure storage, garage, holding, moving storage, mobile storage, 20ft, 40ft, parts storage, tire storage, food storage, personal items storage, containers for rent, shipping containers for sale, cargo containers for rent, storage containers for rent, security doors, steel doors, welding shop, tool shop, car storage, classic car storage, livestock, farm, ranch, hay storage, feed storage, guard shack, art studio, supply storage, ocean container, ocean cargo containers, tractor storage, office warehouse, roll off, storage bin, storage unit, residential storage, commercial storage, retail storage, warehouse, remodel storage, certified, certification, inspection, sea containers, sea worthy, seaworthy, sea worthy certified, seaworthy certified, cargo worthy, cargo worthy certified, mobile mini.
container, containor, containors, centoiner, contenedores, contenedor de almacenamiento, shipping container, storage container, cargo container, own container, product container, 20 foot container, 40 foot container, cargo, conex, connex, mobile, storage, box, driver, delivery, shipping, guarantee, self-storage, storage yard, rent shed, construction container, professional containers, metal container, cube container, Pod, rent, finance, local container, outdoor storage, one-trip, mini storage container, cargo construction container, modified container, converted container, home container, deliver, container, industrial container, wood shed, tuff sheds, portable storage,used storage containers, 20 foot container, 40 foot storage container, storage-containers, sea container, ocean container, 10ft, 20ft, 40ft, 45ft, 10', 20', 40', 45', HC, High Cube, Hq / H-q / High Qube / High-qube Containor / Hc Container / H-c Container / Hq Container / Shipping Container / Storage Container / Conex Box / Ocean Container / Steel Box / Jobox / Pod / One Trip / 1-trip / Storage Trailer / Storage Shed / Portable Barn / Farm Storage / Ranch Storage / Mobile Mini / Feed Storage / Hay Storage / Iso Container / Connex / Temporary Storage / Seacan / Sea Can / Job Box / Atv Storage / Motorcycle Storage / Extra Storage / Xtra Storage Shipping Container / Storage Container / Conex Boxes / Conexes / Conexs / Ocean Container / Steel Boxes / Joboxes / Pods / One Tripper / 1-tripper / Storage Trailers / Storage Sheds / Portable Barns / Iso Container / Connexes / Seacans / Sea Cans / Job Boxes Container Convert or Modify, modifications, 10ft, 20ft, 40ft Containers into: Jobsite Container Storage, Self Storage Facilities, Construction Storage, Mobile Office, Tool Storage, Equipment Storage, Inventory Storage, Work Area, Work Shops, Emergency Shelters, School Buildings, Artist Studios, Flower Stands, Firework Stands, Fire Training Facilities, Military Training Bunker, Movable Exhibition Stands, Agriculture Storage, Farm Equipment Storage, Ranch Storage, Snack Bars, Concession Stands, Boat, Classic Car, Truck, Motorcycle, Tractor, ATV, Snowmobile Storage, Automobile Storage, Guard Shacks, Hunting Shelters, Retaining Walls, Secure Perimeter Barriers, Fencing and Storage, Containers as Underground Bunkers Wine Storage and Temperature Controlled Storage for Food.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:06 PM   #70 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Containers are built so they can be stacked seven high, like the Volvos in that old ad. Way overbuilt for something to set in the yard.

The wooden floors have been soaked in who knows what.

I suggested to my son he hire a crane to lift a section of aircraft fuselage over his garage into the back yard. (He's up by SeaTac airport) He hasn't done it yet.

Access to the building site is part of your design brief. So, nothing modular or trailerable; it's panelized or stick built. Could your plan work with a 16ft circle for a foundation?

Quote:
Greenhouses are really weak sheds.
Not if they're round.

Reply  Post New Thread