Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #21 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
The way it is now it appears the car wouldn't know the difference if a chute was deployed or not.
haha its not that bad, when the chute is pulled it knocks 100mph off

but i will listen to any suggestions, any little bits, they will all help

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-14-2011, 09:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

05 DMax - '05 Chevrolet 2500HD
90 day: 18.48 mpg (US)
Relocating the extinguishers is a must.
He cant wrap the fairing back to the motor or it will push him into funny car class.
The winglets on the front need to be extended so the vertical fins line up with and are closer to the pizza cutters.
The rear fender needs to go to the edge of the tires and be tilted out at an angle.
On the red rail notice the horizontal piece on the rear fender/ deflector. It provides support and downforce due to the angle.
Depending on your class, you may not be able to remove the wing. Just try leveling it a bit.
A partial Kammback would be good, just check the regs to stay clear of the chute.
Fairing behind the drivers helmet will provide little aero benefit but will cause less head buffetting.

I can't understand why my MPG's are so low..........
21,000lb, 41' Toy Haulers are rough on FE!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

He cant wrap the fairing back to the motor or it will push him into funny car class.
The winglets on the front need to be extended so the vertical fins line up with and are closer to the pizza cutters.
The rear fender needs to go to the edge of the tires and be tilted out at an angle.
On the red rail notice the horizontal piece on the rear fender/ deflector. It provides support and downforce due to the angle.
Depending on your class, you may not be able to remove the wing. Just try leveling it a bit.
A partial Kammback would be good, just check the regs to stay clear of the chute.
Fairing behind the drivers helmet will provide little aero benefit but will cause less head buffetting.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:35 AM   #24 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Are you having traction problems at the top end of the track? If not, consider removing your wing. A friend with a mid 7 second econorail picked up several tenths by removing his wing. It provided significant downforce and drag, but it was unneccessary for his car. Maybe as a method of testing, gradually reduce the angle of attack on your wing to see what it does to your ET and trap speeds until it's completely flat before removing. Make sure the driver is prepared while you do this, I'd hate for you/him to throw it into a guardrail if it does start to slip.

Can you switch to a funny car body? Your chassis looks close enough to make it work.

Extend your nose back to the engine if allowed. Build deflectors into the side of the body to divert air around the rear wheels.

I doubt you will see much change due to the extinguishers, but if you do anything, can you relocate them inside the frame rails? (under the nose cone, or just in front of the motor).
at the moment it actually needs MORE downforce, were finding at 200+ its gets very light at top end,

we own funny car body too, but this class is for 'altereds' only

i did think about moving fire bottles too, got to help to be 'tucked in'
Old 01-14-2011, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango Charlie View Post
I would suggest relocating the fire extinguisher. Is there room under the nose fairing?

Install discs on the front wheels, or swap them out for a solid style.

Extend the nose fairing back to the engine.

Round the edges of the firewall to help airflow reattach.

Boat tail the rear wheels like this guy did with his main landing gear:

yes we can move the extingiusers, pain but we can fit them, we do actually have a different front wing now too,

this will go right at the front of the car, photo here.

as for the front wheels, these are on one of our other cars, would these be better ????

Old 01-14-2011, 09:43 AM   #26 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro-nige View Post
I second the move the fire extinguisher.
Put a full hood on it and enclose as much of the engine at possible. Hiding the Mag from the air might be hard unless you can find a way to change the drive.
It's a topolino body? Could you put rear guards on it, something teardrop shaped?

def going to look at moving bottles, makes sense

as a note to all,

there is no wind/air inside the cockpit, can drive at 220mph with visor open if you wanted too

yes its a topolino, we added the arches

can you explain rear guards? any photos?

thanks
Old 01-14-2011, 09:44 AM   #27 (permalink)
Master Ecomadman

sc1 - '98 saturn sc1
Team Saturn
90 day: 43.17 mpg (US)

Airplane Bike - '11 home built Carp line Tour

rans - '97 rans tailwind

tractor - '66 International Cub cadet 129

2002 Space Odyssey - '02 Honda Odyssey EX-L
90 day: 28.25 mpg (US)

red bug - '00 VW beetle TDI

big tractor - '66 ford 3400

red vw - '00 VW new beetle TDI
90 day: 58.42 mpg (US)

RV - '88 Winnebago LeSharo
90 day: 16.67 mpg (US)
Bennett Racing

Old 01-14-2011, 09:45 AM   #28 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
we can add some length to the front piece as were actually making a new one.

any design suggestions????
Old 01-14-2011, 10:13 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The blue wing looks good.
The vert wing needs to be slightly taller than and very close to the tire. The read of it will need to be radiussed to match.
The idea is it will keep yhe air from spilling off the wing while splitting it around the tire.
If you can afford solid discs they would be the best.
Those delta pieces on the red rail have me intrigued. Combined they are ~5-6 sq ft of wing.
On top of that the corner of the body and fender puts them in a high pressure area. I have a feeling they will need near structural reinforcement due to the downforce created.
Check that the front of your under belly is lower than your read. You do have a smoth pan right ?
At the close proximity to the ground a 3-4 deg taper will create a suction condition. I can tell you it has an effect in circle track that can be seen by watching the floor sheet metal flex as the car comes up to speed

Old 01-14-2011, 10:25 AM   #30 (permalink)
Novice but learning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonG View Post
The blue wing looks good.
The vert wing needs to be slightly taller than and very close to the tire. The read of it will need to be radiussed to match.
The idea is it will keep yhe air from spilling off the wing while splitting it around the tire.
If you can afford solid discs they would be the best.
Those delta pieces on the red rail have me intrigued. Combined they are ~5-6 sq ft of wing.
On top of that the corner of the body and fender puts them in a high pressure area. I have a feeling they will need near structural reinforcement due to the downforce created.
Check that the front of your under belly is lower than your read. You do have a smoth pan right ?
At the close proximity to the ground a 3-4 deg taper will create a suction condition. I can tell you it has an effect in circle track that can be seen by watching the floor sheet metal flex as the car comes up to speed
Yeah front wing was ebay bargain, going to alter the small wing to a steeper angle too.

cant do solid discs but would the other wheels be better ?

so you mean that the front piece should continue behind front wheels ?

Last edited by Bennett_Racing; 01-14-2011 at 10:55 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread