Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2020, 09:56 PM   #351 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,378 Times in 3,353 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If they became standard as you recommended above then everyone would have them. As it stands today I'm sure plenty of people turned on their landscaping sprinklers. That is what a coworker of mine did. He is on a well so they will run until the power cuts or the pump burns out.
Don't know why keeping the grass wet is important. I suppose if it's wetting down barkdust or something.

If fire suppression were standard, then infrastructure would be built to accommodate. I kinda doubt the whole neighborhood running 1-2 GPM would cause a drastic drop in water pressure at the hydrant, but I'm willing to be wrong.

The idea is just to keep everything wet. Doesn't have to be a flood of water.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-11-2020, 09:57 PM   #352 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
It seems the government has its hands full with fires and evacuations, so they're a couple steps behind the real wackos.

'STOP. SPREADING. RUMORS!' Law enforcement takes aim at fake Oregon arson claims

... the FBI has investigated several such reports and found them to be untrue.

QAnon fans spread fake claims about real fires in Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 09-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #353 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,554 Times in 7,041 Posts
Quote:
freebeard- I never could stand Axl.
I don't care for the vocals. But if I have an electric car I want it to play the intro on endless loop. I've got eight or ten covers, starting with Taken By Trees eleven years ago. Today we have these Romanian teenagers:

I think Andrei Cerbu is as good as Slash.

Uhmmm, I'm supposed to believe CNN about Qanon?

edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5
If fire suppression were standard, then infrastructure would be built to accommodate.
Concrete [hemispherical] shell at grade with an earth berm up to window sill level. Water tank and one RainBird at the summit. Concrete blast shield in front of entrances (for bomb blasts). Asian houses have a wall inside the gate in the fence for similar reasons. Basalt canvas for the lawn furniture.

2nd edit:
@FBIPortland has more credibility, but the comments are critical. Could they not have reasons to try to get the phone lines to simmer down.

If the Dexter Lake Club were to burn down we'd loose some history *cough*animalhouse*cough*

Quote:
Peterson said a middle-aged man with arm tattoos was seen "lighting two fires in the bushes as you turn towards the dam."

The chief said "several good Samaritans extinguished the fire prior to our arrival."

He asked the public to be on the lookout for a man with a black German Shepherd driving a green Ford or Chevy SUV. Anyone with information about the man is asked to contact law enforcement.
nbc16.com/news/local/man-seen-starting-fires-at-oregon-state-park-local-fire-chief-says

Last edited by freebeard; 09-11-2020 at 11:38 PM..

Old 09-11-2020, 11:13 PM   #354 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Uh huh. Here's a story:

Anonymous White House Source Claims Trump Punched A Baby

If this doesn't remind you of anything, it's because you're watching the fake news.

Fake news exists on both sides, but it takes MainStream Media to (massively) tilt it in a particular direction. Most people believe the Charlottesville Hoax, and it's no wonder. In fact, Biden's most prominent campaign deception is based on the hoax that MSM is desperately trying to support.

We'll get destruction from the radical left, regardless.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:40 PM   #355 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

http://www.richard3.com/photos/hillary_closer.jpg

edit:
thedonald.win: Forest Fire Arson Megathread

Last edited by freebeard; 09-12-2020 at 12:16 AM..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (09-12-2020), Xist (09-17-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #356 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,051 Times in 1,385 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Don't know why keeping the grass wet is important. I suppose if it's wetting down barkdust or something.

I'm sure the thinking goes like this: OH CRAP, there is massive wildfire coming and I haven't done anything to prepare or harden my house to make it fire resistant. What can I do. I guess I'll turn on my sprinklers .... or throw a hose on the roof ....

Most people seem to think houses catch on fire because the fire burns along the ground to the base of their house not that their house will catch of fire from sparks landing on the roof and gutters well before the fire gets to their front lawn.

The reality is most people don't think about or prepare for low probability but very high risk events. We live in an active earthquake zone and most people I know don't even have a basic kit.

Old 09-12-2020, 02:44 AM   #357 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

There're twigs a few inches long, all dried out, falling along with the ash here.

redpoint5 — I laugh every time I see that picture again. I'm sure the Babylon Bee was referencing it.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:32 AM   #358 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
CNN linked to the FBI tweet and to a Douglas County Sheriff's Office Facebook post. They reported Romero's tweet and Q's promotion of it without linking to (and thus promoting) them. I found Romero's tweet in less than a minute and don't feel I'm being partisan or anything by believing CNN when they say Q linked to it.

Paul Romero: "Oregon is on fire! Pallet Company in Oregon City confirmed Antifa arsonist on camera. Douglas County Sheriff has 6 ANTIFA arsonists in custody."

Douglas County Sheriff's Office: "...our 9-1-1 dispatchers and professional staff are being overrun with requests for information and inquiries on an UNTRUE rumor that 6 Antifa members have been arrested for setting fires..."

FBI Portland: "With our state and local partners, the FBI has investigated several such reports and found them to be untrue."

Now maybe CNN's crazy enough to push a false narrative that Oregon and Federal law enforcement can agree on something, or maybe, just maybe, they're telling the truth- and what's going on is crazy enough to get Oregon and the Feds on the same page. Which brings me back to asking what these people are trying to do. Is the Sheriff actively supporting BLM by denying having arrested anyone for arson, or is Paul Romero spreading FUD? Which one of them is lying, and what are their goals? Who are they really working for?

As Jackson County Sheriff's Office spokesman Mike Moran said recently, "And so people ought to consider: 'Does this even make sense?' They should question anything they see in a social media setting."

Quote:

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
Xist (09-17-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 12:29 PM   #359 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
Now maybe CNN's crazy enough to push a false narrative that Oregon and Federal law enforcement can agree on something, or maybe, just maybe, they're telling the truth- and what's going on is crazy enough to get Oregon and the Feds on the same page. Which brings me back to asking what these people are trying to do. Is the Sheriff actively supporting BLM by denying having arrested anyone for arson, or is Paul Romero spreading FUD? Which one of them is lying, and what are their goals? Who are they really working for?
I'd say in our election run up, we'll see false claims lobbed in both directions in almost equal measure, with MSM promoting one of those sides more than the other.

The right will blame antifa for fires (who cares because antifa is a domestic terrorist organization anyhow), and the left blaming everything bad that has ever happened from slavery, to Covid, to West Coast fires on Trump, and to a lesser extent, white men.

Old 09-12-2020, 01:02 PM   #360 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Team Honda
Yeah, there have been false reports of Proud Boys being arrested for arson too, and the authorities are trying to tamp those down as well. But no one was spouting that particular stupidity here, so I didn't include it.

There's too much of that crap.

Quote:

Closed Thread  Post New Thread