Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 05:46 PM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Last edited by dustyfirewalker; 06-27-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2014, 06:13 PM   #22 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Wood gas?? I am not doubting that it can or can't work, nor am I doubting that HHO or plasma ignition can or can't work. How many miles can the truck go on a log? Do you put the log out when you are done driving?

I am doubting that the ideas you are suggesting will be beneficial for your truck. It still is a large vehicle that needs a lot of energy to move around. Whether it's gas, kero, propane, hydrogen, wood gas, etc, it still needs more energy to move around than a little car. If you want to keep the truck, go ahead. I'd suggest a 4BT Cummins...

With that said, please continue to experiment. But, be honest with your results to us.
Old 03-25-2014, 06:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

ive talked to wayne personally, hes a great guy, the way his set up works is keep the hopper full of wood or junk and hes used dead animals and plastic and all sorts of other biomass, and when it gets low the temp goes up and he fills back up. hes said about 1-2lb of wood per mile, and when he shuts the truck off, with the right design it just simply suffocates itself. if you come back and try to start it within a certain period of time the fire is hot enough to start up without a torch or lighting it. the reason im not doing woodgas is the bronco doesnt have a lot of room for it, bumper gasifiers have been done, but im sort of looking for something a bit smaller. the reason its large is for large engines and the fact that wood has a relatively low energy content to hydrocarbons. that being said, if you take a "system" that can convert hydrocarbons into a syngas like waynes truck does to solid wastes, then you can feed that to the engine. ive looked into various ways of doing this and im not going to pretend like mine will work or is the best solution. but i definitely dont want tailpipe smoke from just dumping oil into the cylinder and hoping it burns. i need that hydrocarbon waste to get hot enough to smoke, possibly even burn for a brief period of time, but not to the point all the energy is gone, and it will make a flammable smoke like waynes wood gasifier. that smoke will burn in the engine cleanly. thats what im trying to do. one guy who has sort of done this is "marcello bartollotta" hes on youtube and has a set up that works similar to what im going to attempt to do. he hasnt done it on a large engine yet

he has used wmo as fuel with a small amount of gas in his generators and it burns clean

ive talked to him aswell, hes a cool guy very honest, and trying to share with others and turn his system into a decent living. he uses exhaust heat to vaporize hydrocarbons for flammable vapor and his system does burn clean. i wont lie about my results and will have videos to come. i just hope my final outcome is: start up/shut down on gasoline/e85/something clean burning, and switch over to just about anything flammable even heavy oil wastes and be able to drive without putting out a bunch of smoke. and having something that isnt huge in the back of my truck.

and yes i do like those 4bt's, great engines. i might have to think more along the lines of 7.3 just because of the ease of swapping and my transmission and transfer case.
Old 03-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I'm not new to wood gas, there are byproducts from this, which require further processing, and just because they don't go out your tailpipe doesn't mean they don't exist:

"Pine and similar yeild more gas than hard woods, such as oak or beech. As a rough guide a cubic metre of dry pinewood will yield about 100kg of gas (which is mostly carbon monoxide and is toxic) plus about 120kg of charcoal (retort charcoal is spontaneously combustable so need careful handling), 25 kg of wood tar (useful stuff, but again needs care) and maybe as much as 160kg of "wood vinegar." Wood vinegar is for the most part a mixture of acetic acid (ethanoic acid) and methanol...which is poisonous."
Old 03-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

none - '98 Honda Civic HX

none - '00 Chevy (Geo) Metro base

none - '00 Saturn SL1 base
My grandfather told stories of the same setup on the old Model T. Start on gasoline, run till hot then switch to kerosene.
Old 03-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #26 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
When you quoted some "multifuel" ability the first thing that came thru my mind were the hot-bulb engines used in older tractors (more known in Italy as "testa calda", or literally "hot head"), stationary applications and boats. They can burn anything from gaseous fuels to heavy oils, but the requirement for a kerosene-fired lamp to pre-heat the cylinder heads may be a problem for a practical use in an automobile. Why not to try a similar approach using glowplugs instead of the lamp, like it's done in some engines for model airplanes?
The Following User Says Thank You to cRiPpLe_rOoStEr For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (03-27-2014)
Old 03-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #27 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

As long as we are dealing in so many fractional truths, it is worth pointing out that kerosene and many other fuels mentioned are NOT fossil fuel free..
Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
As long as we are dealing in so many fractional truths, it is worth pointing out that kerosene and many other fuels mentioned are NOT fossil fuel free..
Also, 1-2 pounds a wood a mile?? With a lifted truck, that's like burning a forest a week...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:17 PM   #29 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Nowadays there is already a vegetable-based substitutive available for the kerosene, already getting used in the aviation. Brazilian airline Gol is scheduling to use it in at least 200 flights during the FIFA 2014 World Cup.

Anyway, regarding wood-gas, a good multifuel engine such as the old hot-bulb ones could handle well some eventual creosote leftover...
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Do they have a biofuel replacement for PVC?

Reply  Post New Thread