Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2014, 09:28 PM   #31 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
Nowadays there is already a vegetable-based substitutive available for the kerosene, already getting used in the aviation. Brazilian airline Gol is scheduling to use it in at least 200 flights during the FIFA 2014 World Cup.

Anyway, regarding wood-gas, a good multifuel engine such as the old hot-bulb ones could handle well some eventual creosote leftover...
Vegetable based means growing crops, using pesticides and fertilizers, soil degradation, and possibly over farming...it's not going to help the earth...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-25-2014, 09:49 PM   #32 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,628 Times in 1,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarguy01 View Post
Vegetable based means growing crops, using pesticides and fertilizers, soil degradation, and possibly over farming...it's not going to help the earth...
Some crops such as Castor bean and Jatropha actually are used to recover degradated areas. There are other options too.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:25 PM   #33 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
Do they have a biofuel replacement for PVC?
Followup question, and do they make clean burning bio-dioxins?
Old 03-26-2014, 01:05 AM   #34 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Last edited by dustyfirewalker; 06-27-2014 at 06:21 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 03:14 AM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I wish I could be of more help to you.

But I am limited in what I can say about the subject.

I have spent some time with Wayne Keith and his wood-gas vehicle and walked away impressed. The main pitfall I observed with his and other setups is the amount of fiddling needed to get it to run over the large load range a road vehicle operates at. To his credit, he has driven cross country with his contraption, so it is not an impossible pipe dream.

If you are wanting to use only liquid hydrocarbons, that is a good pathway that can yield the CO/H2 gas mix (syngas) that you seek to produce. However, it will still have poor "throttle response" and even with the use of Ni/Fe catalysts, the heat needed for a clean production of syngas will be difficult to keep above the critical reaction level. The need for an electronic feedback circuit would be almost a certainty as the variable fuels would result in a variable carbon to H2O ratio. I am assuming you are building a steam reforming system to fuel your engine.

And please forgive the overzealous denizens of this forum. Many are not scientists, and those who are have very narrow specialties as those of us in the sciences are wont to have. They easily get excited about pie tins and used sign boards and denigrate anyone who wants to do anything mind bending with engines. The few on this forum who do work with engine modifications have often come under duress from experts who have never set foot inside a dyno lab.

Feel free to stick around for a bit. Just ignore the "negative Nancy" crowd of experts and maybe you can get a constructive thread going.

And yes, I have built vapor carbs, GEETS and reformer engines. They all have their positives and their pitfalls. But, when you side step the hocus pocus surrounding them, they all have some good science.
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (03-27-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:38 AM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I have several trucks that get between 10 to 20 miles per gallon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickydude View Post
This forum has "eco" in its name, so I was assuming it had something to do with the environment as well. A 40mpg car beats a 10 mpg car in that respect.
Hence my comment. But I may have misunderstood.
Added to that is my personal opinion that says that burning all kinds of waste products can't easily result in very clean emissions.

But by all means, anyone who wants to smash big money on a hobby, go ahead.

I'll unsubscribe for now.
They run on used vegetable oil. I dare you to do the work I do with your 40 mpg car. You CAN'T! You can't tow a several ton trailer to an unimproved "off road job site" with your car. I can. And my Cummins and Mercedes diesels have done so for 20+ years. Your 40 mpg car will be a rust heap in that time period and will have used more fossil fuel in a year than I use in a decade. Developing a way to net a 10% fuel efficiency gain in a 10 mpg truck is far more effective in helping the environment than adding 10% to your 40 mpg car. Why don't you go and trash sheppard777's thread. He just spent years and 10's of thousands of dollars on a class 8 truck that just about doubled comparable truck mileage.

And yes, you have no idea what the OP is talking about. Once waste oils are turned into syngas, the engine emissions are akin to running on CNG. I consider that an "ECO win".
The Following User Says Thank You to RustyLugNut For This Useful Post:
dustyfirewalker (03-27-2014)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:46 AM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

And your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-hack View Post
As long as we are dealing in so many fractional truths, it is worth pointing out that kerosene and many other fuels mentioned are NOT fossil fuel free..
I would like to point out that your Prius uses fossil fuel.

To be exact - MOST of the vehicles posted on this forums mileage boards use fossil fuels.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:13 AM   #38 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
The point is this is the "fossil fuel free" section.

Old 03-26-2014, 06:57 AM   #39 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyLugNut View Post

And yes, you have no idea what the OP is talking about. Once waste oils are turned into syngas, the engine emissions are akin to running on CNG. I consider that an "ECO win".
LOL, yes and you can burn a pile of baby seals to run a steam turbine and make electricity, and that will be %100 pure electricity. Winning...
Old 03-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #40 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mazda5 - '12 Mazda 5
90 day: 25.22 mpg (US)

Big D - '11 Dodge Durango Crew
90 day: 18.75 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dustyfirewalker View Post
ok its pretty obvious you havent seen a woodgas powered engine.

nor have you ever considered what happens near 3000 deg f...

for the last time it could be pure "toxic grade crap" better yet it could be "industrial grade bs from all your postings on my thread" and combined with the enormous amounts of your hot air it all yields syngas, that surprisingly burns clean in an engine...

yes it burns clean because its not the crap thats been partially oxidized.

over and over read it till you get it.

quit trying to poke holes in something that works. like i said if either of you dont like this thread im not making you post here.

im not building a woodgas vehicle, those guys are on driveonwood.com you can go share your opinion over there and get eaten alive by the enviro friendlies that are there. if you knew anything about woodgas at all wet wood from a freshly chopped tree makes horrible fuel. its about dry dead wood thats only good for decomposing somewhere. and if its carbon neutral then you may aswell do something with it. but like i said i dont care im not doing that. but i am using concepts that relate to it. im not here to educate you, im here to show you can look around, and say "look at that, now what if you did exactly that with something else?" its really not that hard to see heavy oils burn like **** in the cylinder but if you turn them into a syngas, that gas burns clean and runs your engine practically for free. im here to see if anyone here has done anything similar. and i said VERY FIRST THING im not here to get in some p*ssing match with someone glued to their computer, im here to ask and see if someone else has gone down this road and has ANYTHING to share. i dont care if i delete this thread right now and never come back to this forum with a working or melted experiment. i dont need someone who has no idea what they are talking about to get on google and type in "woodgas/dirty fuel/complications/ toxic byproducts" then copy and paste the first moron that says something negative from a 1917 book of "fractional truths"

like i said, i appreciate the few people who come through and have something positive, thats great, i wish there were more people on this planet like that, but on the other hand i get plenty of "thats stupid" "it will never work" "ive never done it but heres some crap on google thats completely irrelevant and useless to what your trying to do" "and by the way i just dont like you so heres some trivial crap questions that helps no one"

i give this thread a week. im going to go about my life and keep business as usual, maybe a few interjections, but like i said if i cant get anyone who has some real contributions instead of pointless crap that doesnt help anyone else or me, ill delete this thread and never come back i really DONT CARE EITHER WAY

april 2nd this will probly be gone, who cares, i dont

if no one here can help me, im not sticking around to argue about something im going to try anyways and find out FOR SURE whether it works or not.

would you ????
I understand you aren't going to do the wood gas thing. Got it. You did say that one person uses 1-2 pounds a wood a mile, correct? That would mean I personally would need to find 1,500-3,000 pounds a wood a month. I would need to go pick up dead wood from a forest or buy seasoned firewood. If one were to take dead wood from a forest, you are removing nature's compost that is filled with nutrients, ready to go back into the ground to feed the next round of trees/plants/bugs/animals. Does that seem green?? No, go talk to some green thinking people and you will find them riding a bike, not scavenging the earth for natural resources to burn in their vehicles. 1,500 pounds of wood a month would mean I am putting a lot of effort into finding fuel for my car.

Besides that point, I am sorry to hear you aren't happy with some of the responses. But, in our defense, we have new members come on here asking about HHO, pixie dust and everything else. Then they claim that they will experiment and show us. Are you actually going to show us something aside from youtube links? Do you have a plan in work? Have you started anything yet?

Reply  Post New Thread