Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2014, 01:06 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 83gs1100g View Post
i know its not going to spike in power. what gave you that idea? what i am referring to is you will feel what is like when the a/c kicks on and off. that suttle change in power is the same as L/B engaging and disengaging. the shift light is my gauge for when L/b kicks in and out. when shift light comes on L/B will engage if you stay easy on throttle. my buddy has one and he says he cant tell when his L/b kicks in and out. so i drove it and i can tell. its very similar to a/c kicking on and off..
-First. Your use of the words "sudden increase" gave me that idea.

-Second. Your shift light keeps you in L/B. It does not engage it! L/B is the DEFAULT mode. The shift light tells you that if you DON'T shift now you will leave L/B (12 valves) and enter 16 valve operation.

-Third. You are getting ONE valve per cylinder. ONE. You can possibly expect to feel ONE valve kick it. ONE. When you turn your A/C off/on you're feeling the power of the ENTIRE engine being loaded/unloaded. You're gaining a SINGLE valve per cylinder, ONE! At a time! Not all at once. Apple to oranges; "lean burn" to A/C on/off.

ZO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmeat View Post
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.

Last edited by DOFZO; 06-25-2014 at 01:43 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2014, 01:13 AM   #22 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
DOFZO ! You've got sick info! and you're right.

And, if you cold start and take off, you don't lean burn. you operate in 12v mode, unless you run beyond the low / high rpm crossover point, as DOFZO already mentioned. check out my lean burn vid:

Lean burn - YouTube

I have a lean burn "econo" light or "happy light" if you watch the video. With this econo light, I show in the video how the pedal position affects lean burn operation. You will also notice that it generally doesn't come on until I'm at or above 25 mph / 3rd gear. Don't ask me how, but that's how and when my econo light comes on.

As far as hearing or feeling the vtec kick in, you're thinking about the wrong motor, dude. go find a "B" series or "K" series motor. They've got all the vtec kick you're looking for, none of the economy.

With that said, this motor is all about economy. The vtec switches to a more efficient cam / intake valve profile to better suit the given rpm's and load, NOT FOR POWER.

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 06-25-2014 at 01:18 AM..
Old 06-25-2014, 01:39 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
DOZFO ! You've got sick info! and you're right.

And, if you cold start and take off, you don't lean burn. you operate in 12v mode, unless you run beyond the low / high rpm crossover point, as DOZFO already mentioned.
Well, something new to me. I didn't realize lean burn was something within 12 valve operation. And I've research more since reading your post, I've got to change my PCV valve back to the original one - with no valve!

Thanks!

Civic VX Lean Burn monitor - Fuelly Forums

ZO.
Quote:
If my hypermiling in the Insight cancels out the effects of just one gap toothed git-er-done in his big dumb F250 dually with his inbred kids and pitbull hanging off the side rails in the back, glaring at me as they roll coal around me . . . . . then maybe there will be some gas left when my grand kids start to drive.
Old 06-25-2014, 02:25 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

[/QUOTE]
-Second. Your shift light keeps you in L/B. It does not engage it! L/B is the DEFAULT mode. [/QUOTE]

shift light does Not KEEP you in lean burn. it just lets you know at that throttle position the motor will go into L/B and to up shift for better mpg.

[/QUOTE]The shift light tells you that if you DON'T shift now you will leave L/B (12 valves) and enter 16 valve operation.[/QUOTE]

NO it wont leave 12v mode. as long as you maintain throttle position. it does NOT mean your leaving 12v and going to 16v.

[/QUOTE]
-Third. You are getting ONE valve per cylinder. ONE. You can possibly expect to feel ONE valve kick it. ONE. When you turn your A/C off/on you're feeling the power of the ENTIRE engine being loaded/unloaded. You're gaining a SINGLE valve per cylinder, ONE! At a time! Not all at once. Apple to oranges; "lean burn" to A/C on/off.[/QUOTE]

if you cant tell or feel when L/B engages then maybe yours isnt engaging? i get 55 mpg. do you? i am trying to show an analogy that it feels similar. if you dont feel when your L/B engages then its not and your not getting 55mpgs+
Old 06-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
And, if you cold start and take off, you don't lean burn. you operate in 12v mode, unless you run beyond the low / high rpm crossover point, as DOFZO already mentioned.
but i thought below 2500rpms was L/B? and L/B is 12v mode? so any time your below 2500rpms then your in L/B? I dont think this is correct cause you cant go 12v till the shift light comes on. o and vrmousey the d15b does NOT have same vtec system as the d15z1. the d15b has different ecu and valve train setup.[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]As far as hearing or feeling the vtec kick in, you're thinking about the wrong motor, dude. go find a "B" series or "K" series motor. They've got all the vtec kick you're looking for, none of the economy. [/QUOTE]

did you read all the post? please read it.
Old 06-25-2014, 03:45 AM   #26 (permalink)
Furry Furfag

Winsight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Miaderp - '95 Mazda Miata
90 day: 28.53 mpg (US)
Even I'm confused, I thought L/B was when it changed the A/F ratio from 14:1 to 22:1? Am I wrong?

Old 06-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #27 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
lean burn and vtec, they are independant. Don't get stuck thinking they are connected. You can lean burn even after the change over if the load is low enough.

To clarify:
Lean burn = any time it is low load (assuming gear or temp is within spec).
Vtec (full 16v) = anytime over 2500rpm in US spec d15z1's

Notice from the above, there are 4 possible combinations, since the requirements for each are different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xntrx View Post
It has nothing to do with lean burn, its all rpm vtec switch over dependent.

Its technically always using 16v. At low rpm, one only opens very slightly (to promote swirl and fuel pooling), so it might as well be 12v.

Once it reaches the change over (2500 for USDM), to two rocker arms are locked together and fully open. Since you've looked at 3 stage, its the same, just without the extra high lift rocker.

If you search youtube you can find some videos.

Sounds like cheap plugs/wires, or egr.

Remember? XNTRX told us all on your last thread on the same subject.

why do you think you know more than all the collective minds that put the wiki together on the subject anyway?

If you did, I think your thread would be "this is how it goes" and not "does anybody know?"

Old 06-25-2014, 08:52 AM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOFZO
-Second. Your shift light keeps you in L/B. It does not engage it! L/B is the DEFAULT mode.
shift light does Not KEEP you in lean burn. it just lets you know at that throttle position the motor will go into L/B and to up shift for better mpg.
It's not a throttle position indicator! Lean burn is the best fuel economy. How can you "shift for better mpg" AND maintain the "L/B throttle position"? I always release the throttle when shifting gears, if you don't then you're pouring fuel into a idling engine killing your fuel economy.

The UPSHIFT light is telling you to up shift to maintain best fuel economy, if you don't up shift when the light comes on, you lose efficiency.

Quote:
Quote:
The shift light tells you that if you DON'T shift now you will leave L/B (12 valves) and enter 16 valve operation.
NO it wont leave 12v mode. as long as you maintain throttle position. it does NOT mean your leaving 12v and going to 16v.
Kind of. If you keep accelerating, passed 2500 rpm, and you don't up shift you'll go into 16 valve operation. If you keep the UPSHIFT light on by not accelerating, well, you'll never go any faster.

Quote:
Quote:
-Third. You are getting ONE valve per cylinder. ONE. You can possibly expect to feel ONE valve kick it. ONE. When you turn your A/C off/on you're feeling the power of the ENTIRE engine being loaded/unloaded. You're gaining a SINGLE valve per cylinder, ONE! At a time! Not all at once. Apple to oranges; "lean burn" to A/C on/off.
if you cant tell or feel when L/B engages then maybe yours isnt engaging? i get 55 mpg. do you? i am trying to show an analogy that it feels similar. if you dont feel when your L/B engages then its not and your not getting 55mpgs+
WRONG, again. Dude, you don't know what you're talking about. You're guessing and trying to pass it off as fact.

Find your Owner's manual, here's what it'll tell you about the UPSHIFT LIGHT (because that's what it is, not a throttle position indicator!) Where do you come up with this stuff???

The UPSHIFT LIGHT indicates when it's time to, hold on, UP SHIFT! You're not supposed to maintain the light on, you're supposed to shift into a higher gear for best FUEL ECONOMY which is NOT achieved using all 16 valves. How you're getting "+55mpg" with the way you think/operate your car is beyond me.

I'm done with you until you provide source and fact for your "information". You are just making stuff up and I'm going to assume you're a TROLL. Enjoy.

ZO.
Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to DOFZO For This Useful Post:
user removed (06-25-2014)
Old 06-25-2014, 09:12 AM   #29 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Check his other threads. All the same. No garage info. No mpg info.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltothewolf View Post
Even I'm confused, I thought L/B was when it changed the A/F ratio from 14:1 to 22:1? Am I wrong?
you are correct. this is what it does only when the shift light comes on and the motor goes into lean burn. no other time.

Reply  Post New Thread