Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-31-2013, 12:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Your car looks ridiculous

The Fantastic Festiva - '90 Ford Festiva L
90 day: 43.16 mpg (US)

A Civic Duty - '96 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 34.9 mpg (US)

Ranger Danger - '96 Ford Ranger XL
90 day: 17.42 mpg (US)
How should you drive a turbo-charged car efficiently?

So I just picked up a 1987 Chevrolet Sprint TURBO!!! It has been the find of my life. It's a beautiful, charming little thing. And my last tank of 237 miles got almost 41 miles a gallon. (40.73)

Now this is the way I drove during that tank. For one, it was 70% highway miles, with some city driving. And I tried as much as possible with 90%+ success, of driving without invoking the beastly power of the turbocharger. The dash actually lights up TURBO when it turns on, so I'm really light on the throttle. This thing can go 0 to 60 in 8.7 seconds, only 2 seconds slower than the V8 Camaro of the same year. It's a sleeper. It's a killer on the racetrack if you want it to be, and an economical power horse. It's like the perfect woman. It's the best of both worlds. It's made of what seems to be 1,600 lbs of light-weight paper and it glides like an eagle. It has 12 inch tires. It is a thing of beauty.

But my question is, what is the most fuel-efficient way to drive a turbo-charged car? Do I invoke the maddening force and beauty of the turbo charger? Or do I keep it's secret power hidden and subdued, softly kissing the throttle whilst gracefully going through the city? I wish I could keep her, but I need the money. But I have never loved a car more. It's so nice to see her in the morning, waiting for me in the garage. "Hey sweetheart, how'd you sleep? Good? Let's go someplace. I love you."

Last edited by AaronMartinSole; 03-31-2013 at 12:55 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to AaronMartinSole For This Useful Post:
jeff88 (03-31-2013)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-31-2013, 12:39 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
I'm sorry, I have no idea the answer to your question, but I just wanted to comment about your beautifully, funny post! I laughed so hard and I had to show my gf, who laughed as well! That in itself deserves a thanks for making each of us laugh, not to mention I want to know the answer to the same question.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Economically-driving a turbocharged car is not so different from doing the same in a non-turbo. It's basically all about selecting the most suitable gear for the terrain conditions and the engine speed. Personally, if not street-racing, I'd avoid to go beyond the peak torque RPM as much as I can...
Old 03-31-2013, 01:07 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff88 View Post
I'm sorry, I have no idea the answer to your question, but I just wanted to comment about your beautifully, funny post! I laughed so hard and I had to show my gf, who laughed as well! That in itself deserves a thanks for making each of us laugh, not to mention I want to know the answer to the same question.
If that made you laugh, then I pity you two. How joyless and sorry and sad your lives must be if the inappropriate relationship a man has with his car has made you laugh. You poor, miserable souls. May this cruel world have mercy on you. I'm also saddened and jealous and oh so alone, and you have reminded me of that ever present and cruel sting of miserable loneliness. Oh, look at you two, all not-alone and together and such. With your "love" and intimacy and tenderness. Who needs that effeminate drivel. I bet you hold hands in public. I'm the guy eating a sandwich by himself, crying.

But hey, we've got the same car! 2001 Corolla LE. Except yours has the company of a woman who loves you. I've gotta get better fuel economy out of this thing somehow because I'm sick of 30mpg. I think I might have to do something drastic and unappealing like going alternator-less and trickle charging at night or crazy kill-switching, neither of which I have any desire to do. I'd rather just get a better car. I'd keep this beauty of a Sprint Turbo if I could. I'd prefer an automatic but I could definitely live with this one. Anyway, enjoy your loving relationship. Maybe there'll be a wonderful wedding, and kids, and more joy and gladness and happiness. That'll be really nice for you.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

They say turbo-charging a car increases fuel economy, because of I think, better low-end torque? What in the world does this mean?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole View Post
They say turbo-charging a car increases fuel economy, because of I think, better low-end torque? What in the world does this mean?
At lower engine speeds the engine is already closer to the peak torque, due to a broader torque band, and also the torque is greater than a non-turbo version of the same engine. So, keeping the RPM lower while the vehicle goes at a given speed in both scenarioes (turbo and aspro) is the key for the turbocharged get a greater efficiency. The higher torque also deals better with taller gear ratios.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:18 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
At lower engine speeds the engine is already closer to the peak torque, due to a broader torque band, and also the torque is greater than a non-turbo version of the same engine. So, keeping the RPM lower while the vehicle goes at a given speed in both scenarioes (turbo and aspro) is the key for the turbocharged get a greater efficiency. The higher torque also deals better with taller gear ratios.
I- I... I wish I understood. So... should I just keep driving as I am, light on the throttle, not activating the turbo? I go into 5th gear really soon too, like 30, even 25 miles an hour. The RPMs go really low, like 1500-2000 if I remember correctly. That's the goal, low RPMs, right? Maybe it isn't. I don't know. Slow doesn't necessarily mean efficient, right? I don't know what I'm doing. I can use the turbo to go to 40mph really fast and kick into 5th gear. Is that preferable to slow acceration?
Old 03-31-2013, 01:34 AM   #8 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronMartinSole View Post
I- I... I wish I understood. So... should I just keep driving as I am, light on the throttle, not activating the turbo? I go into 5th gear really soon too, like 30, even 25 miles an hour. The RPMs go really low, like 1500-2000 if I remember correctly. That's the goal, low RPMs, right? Maybe it isn't. I don't know. Slow doesn't necessarily mean efficient, right? I don't know what I'm doing. I can use the turbo to go to 40mph really fast and kick into 5th gear. Is that preferable to slow acceration?
By low RPMs I don't necessarily mean close-to-idling, which would lead to some turbo-lag, but going in the 2000 RPM range instead of some 3000 RPM for example. But using the turbo to go to 40 MPH faster and then kicking into 5th gear seems better than crawling to reach the same speed, so eventually when you hit the throttle it can be more effective, depending on the gear selected and other factors such as the traffic, pavement, etc.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:48 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr View Post
By low RPMs I don't necessarily mean close-to-idling, which would lead to some turbo-lag, but going in the 2000 RPM range instead of some 3000 RPM for example. But using the turbo to go to 40 MPH faster and then kicking into 5th gear seems better than crawling to reach the same speed, so eventually when you hit the throttle it can be more effective, depending on the gear selected and other factors such as the traffic, pavement, etc.
YEAH! This I will do. The testing will not be exact, but I will report back in 200 miles to see how this style of driving goes. And the best part is I get to use the turbo. Oh yes. But activating the turbo does get the rpms relatively high, more than 3,000 rpm if I remember correctly, but I'm going to have to look closer next time because I haven't driven the turbo much. Maybe it doesn't get the RPMs that high, just to a normal RPM level faster. I'll have to check. But yeah, I'll try and use the turbo from a full stop and get up to 40 this time around rather than the slow acceleration through gears I've been doing. But none of this applies to highway driving so... the results will probably be inconclusive anyway. But it does mean that I get to use my turbo, so that is nice. Maybe I'll do a pure 50 mile highway run sometime just out of curiosity to see what it'll do. Just need to find a nice truck going 50 mph, lol. I do not tailgate. I keep an excessively safe distance. Fuel economy isn't worth death. That should be a bumper sticker or something. It sounds cool. And engine kill switches terrify me. All I can imagine are accidents and tree collisions.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

I too have a magic Kraken hidden under the hood of my 94 Saab turbo. Releasing the Kracken will bring a smile as one briskly accelerates to 85 mph passing every car in your wake . Then release the pedal and shift into neutral, and coast as long as traffic allows. Maybe that saves gas. I don't care. Sc

Reply  Post New Thread