Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2014, 09:03 PM   #91 (permalink)

I do the speed limit in the right lane, and by now everyone knows to shepherd around me in the left lane. There'll be a line of five cars in a row in the left lane as they hit a red light a mile later and i coast to the front of the que clear in the left lane. This'll happen 2 or 3 times in a row. I kind of feel guilty as i'm at front of the que in the right lane, and these five cars in the left lane have made worse progress by going around me.

I've thought about starting a driver etiquette thread, but while i could glean plenty of useful info, i haven't because i know it'll end very badly.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-30-2014, 10:58 PM   #92 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
You sure have developed a lot of theories without actual research. Just like 99% of Uhmericans.
See and now we get to more name calling, sort of like the title of the clip the lady posted. I'm sure she used redneck as a derogatory term, no I didn't "research" it like the great and mighty 1% who are apparently perfect. Funny because by then using the term karma I bet she thinks she is one of the great enlightened unjudmental race of 1%ers you speak of.
It's also ironic you don't remember her original text on utube because it's changed at least 3 times now. The original text said he had been following her for 3 minutes when she decided to start filming, your enlightened, well researched, 1%er theories apparently assign zero provocation in those unrecorded 3 minutes in the left lane when there seems to be little traffic in the video overall. Another great 1%er had a theory about there can be no action without an equal and opposite reaction. Using another theory we can then also say there can be no reaction without an equal and opposite action. Yes some people overreact but they are reacting to something.

PS: I just saw a video interviewing the lady where she does say she speeds up just as the truck starts to pass because, "the speed limit goes up there." And she couldn't move over, "because there were trucks there". Well the trucks don't appear until the video goes a minute, and in the original text on the video she said he was behind her 3 minutes before starting to film. In the video we see no trucks going by until a minute in which makes me think she was pacing them. Not until speedingbup and then filming the speedometer does she pass the trucks, and then by her own admission she speeds up again when he trys to pass on the right. Then it seems he notices the camera and decides to give her a little thank you. She is now loving the attention, and trying to profit. She is hopeful somebody will make a T-shirt with her wrestling catchphrase, "That's what you get!" And cut her in on the profits. She is also mad some news organizations have published her name, which leads me to another catchphrase, karma, it's everywhere you're going to be.

Last edited by Hersbird; 03-30-2014 at 11:24 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 12:12 AM   #93 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
You sure have developed a lot of theories without actual research. Just like 99% of Uhmericans.
Frank, when you refer to virtually all Americans as "99% of Uhmericans" that sounds very arrogant.

Apparently you consider yourself to be in the other, more enlightened, 1% of "Uhmericans".

Old 03-31-2014, 12:26 AM   #94 (permalink)
XYZ
Banned

Quote:
Here are the 55 mph speed limit signs at the start of the clip:
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.8681...EP8zLM0g9w!2e0

And her speedometer at that time shows 56 mph.

Well, her original text for the clip is gone, but I distinctly recall no mention of her "pacing" the F250. Her intention is to turn left off 41 at Hwy 75. Prior to the bridge there is a lane merging from the right- a good reason to be left- and two trucks in the right lane on the bridge that she OVERTAKES- definitely gotta be left for that.

"Three minutes" prior to filming plus under two minutes on the clip at 55 mph = about 4.5 miles over the entire incident, with less than two miles being covered during the entirety of the clip. Camping out in the left lane- hardly.

Here is right about even with where the F250 came to rest:
https://www.google.com/maps/@27.8509...1b4lsEW10Q!2e0

Note the left turn lane, which she gets into.
Frank, you missed your calling in life. Since you are so adept at this, you need to go to law school and become a prosecutor for the state. After you get done with that position, then you can become a defense attorney (or a politician) and play the game from the other side. (That's what most lawyers of that ilk do.)

Everyone can plainly see that what Mr. reckless driver did was illegal, dangerous and wrong. What she did was questionable - because even though what she did was not necessarily illegal, her actions contributed to the situation.

The entire situation could have been avoided had both parties acted differently. It takes two to tango, and two to argue... but some people like to argue a case incessantly.

Old 03-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #95 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

awesomer - '04 Toyota prius
I'm sorry, what was her infraction? I must have missed it somewhere. Is she somehow responsible for the guys emotional response?

Old 03-31-2014, 01:55 AM   #96 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XYZ View Post
Frank, when you refer to virtually all Americans as "99% of Uhmericans" that sounds very arrogant.

Apparently you consider yourself to be in the other, more enlightened, 1% of "Uhmericans".
Check other message boards and tell me my assessment is wrong or exaggerated.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:41 AM   #97 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
If I'm pacing a vehicle to my right (or if someone on my left is pacing me) and we're both going the speed limit, that's called traffic: The state of cars being on the road.

I suppose whomever is in the left lane could force a way into the right lane, but for what purpose, especially in an area where at least one of them has to make a left turn soon? Please don't tell me it's to soothe the ego of some idiot who wants to get to the next red light ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

The Following User Says Thank You to Fat Charlie For This Useful Post:
elhigh (03-31-2014)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:31 AM   #98 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
What Charlie says is bang on.

Doing the limit, I'm meeting my responsibility to not exceed the limit. For my own part I will goose the throttle or drop back, whatever is easiest and most expedient, and move into the right lane where I am generally still a tad slower than everyone else. This isn't because of any perceived responsibility but a matter of politeness. At this point I am responding to my own formed perception of social responsibilities, not legal ones.

I could choose to continue at the limit in the left; that is my state-granted privilege exercised to its utmost. To go faster at the behest, explicit or otherwise, of other drivers is responding to mob rule. I am not obligated to adhere to mob rule where it conflicts with the law, i.e. posted limits.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to elhigh For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (08-28-2017)
Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM   #99 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Dark Egg - '12 VW Touraeg
Thanked 1,176 Times in 806 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Charlie View Post
If I'm pacing a vehicle to my right (or if someone on my left is pacing me) and we're both going the speed limit, that's called traffic: The state of cars being on the road.

I suppose whomever is in the left lane could force a way into the right lane, but for what purpose, especially in an area where at least one of them has to make a left turn soon? Please don't tell me it's to soothe the ego of some idiot who wants to get to the next red light ASAP.
So two cars can travel alone down one side of a 4 lane highway as long as they want and if they go the speed limit it's called traffic? Why stop there it is called the speed LIMIT after all. Most places including this have no minimum speed so why not 1/2 the LIMIT? Your right it may not be traffic initially, but it will soon be. Here's another thing you might find fun like the lady in the video, when there is room to pass speed up, just be sure and slow back down when the passing opportunity is gone.
And you guys are right about the cell phone use being OK in Florida. Only texting is illegal as a secondary infraction, using the camera, getting on the web, playing floppy bird, etc all legit actions on your phone while driving.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:04 AM   #100 (permalink)
Master Novice

Josie - '87 Toyota Pickup
90 day: 40.02 mpg (US)

Felicia - '09 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
In many municipalities there is indeed a lower limit, usually 10 below the posted maximum.

Allow me to clarify that, I believe it's for divided highways, controlled access highways like Interstates. Secondaries and tertiaries don't have a lower limit, that's why it's okay to drive something poky like a tractor on local roads but not take it onto I-75. Just make sure that SMV triangle is on the back and you're good.

Lead or follow. Either is fine.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread