Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2019, 10:55 AM   #11 (permalink)
Wannabe hyper..., miler !

White Variant - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDI ~ GLS- 4 Cyl

Minivan - '96 Chrysler handicap IMS built LXI

Insight - '10 Honda Insight EX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
Diesel engine on a Toyota hybrid is just plain heresy
ARGH. !
Yup, just like the Diesel was at the turn of last century,
just like the Toyota hybrid system was in the mid 80's,
just like the first human on the moon...

Glad you are in this forum but...
(not to get YOU upset), crawl under that rock you are comfortable with. New technology is not as easy to aquire, work to getting there can be tough and lots of bruised knuckles...just FYI

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2019, 12:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by vskid3 View Post
Ya, you won't have any issues with bolting up to the Prius' transmission because you won't be using it.

Weight savings won't make nearly as much difference in cruising mileage as aero. The Prius' aero will more than make up for its extra weight (most of which will be removed when you gut the hybrid system).

Are you looking for maximum mileage or minimum overall expense? A TDI swapped Prius would give max mileage, but I think getting a running Prius and using it as is would be cheapest. TDI into your Jetta would probably be the cheapest/best swap.

I do long distance delivery work and I'll be looking for maximum fuel economy and the smallest size I can reasonably use would be four-door hatchback although a wagon would be more ideal but less aerodynamic...

I thought the diesel Prius would be cool because you see so many videos with Ford's rolling coal against a Prius they will be fun to give them a taste of their own medicine a Prius rolling coal on the ford!

A Prius rolling coal against a regular Prius would also be kind of funny!

With YouTube videos actually paying money I would imagine possibly being paid more on YouTube videos than actually driving! Ha

Of course with my Twisted sense of humor I would like to buy a Tesla sell all the guts out of it and turn it into a gasser and go to a Tesla dealer complaining of it running roughly and watching their jaws drop to the floor when they see a big ol V8 in it... or maybe not a V8 necessarily just an internal combustion engine of some sort..

Anyways I am keeping my eyeball open for a relatively low-cost Prius to try to do a swap...

Theoretically diesel would be cheapest to run because you can actually make your own fuel whether it be black diesel straight vegetable oil or biodiesel...

Andrew
Ecky (10-10-2019)
Old 10-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
I thought the diesel Prius would be cool because you see so many videos with Ford's rolling coal against a Prius they will be fun to give them a taste of their own medicine a Prius rolling coal on the ford!

A Prius rolling coal against a regular Prius would also be kind of funny!
I like Diesel engines, and some of those coal-rolling videos are somewhat funny, but honestly I'm not into it. I have been more inclined to Diesel due to the efficiency and the alternate fuels usage.

Quote:
Of course with my Twisted sense of humor I would like to buy a Tesla sell all the guts out of it and turn it into a gasser and go to a Tesla dealer complaining of it running roughly and watching their jaws drop to the floor when they see a big ol V8 in it... or maybe not a V8 necessarily just an internal combustion engine of some sort..
Some hybrid setup maybe...

Quote:
Theoretically diesel would be cheapest to run because you can actually make your own fuel whether it be black diesel straight vegetable oil or biodiesel...
Yesterday I had a talk about converting Volkswagen engines to use vegetable oils with an Argentinian who owns a T4 Transporter.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Many states add additional taxes onto “hybrids”

Be sure to check your registration fees before you get too far into this.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 60.16 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,957 Times in 3,602 Posts
You want viral?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinchville1 View Post
With YouTube videos actually paying money I would imagine possibly being paid more on YouTube videos than actually driving! Ha

If getting your project on as many blogs/forums/sites as possible is the goal, then a manual transmission diesel drivetrain in a Prius is unquestionably the way to go.

Also, it'd be pretty fun to see what kind of numbers you could get -- Prius Cd is 0.24-0.25 if memory serves, and frontal area is probably similar to the Golf. Do a few more well-known aero mods to it and you could be knocking MPG out of the park with a sufficiently tall top gear taking advantage of the low drag.

And the hatchback means it's still utilitarian for your needs.

Quote:
Anyways I am keeping my eyeball open for a relatively low-cost Prius to try to do a swap...

Please keep us posted!
Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
Old 10-11-2019, 10:25 PM   #16 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
If getting your project on as many blogs/forums/sites as possible is the goal, then a manual transmission diesel drivetrain in a Prius is unquestionably the way to go.

Also, it'd be pretty fun to see what kind of numbers you could get -- Prius Cd is 0.24-0.25 if memory serves, and frontal area is probably similar to the Golf. Do a few more well-known aero mods to it and you could be knocking MPG out of the park with a sufficiently tall top gear taking advantage of the low drag.
Not so sure if a manual would really be the way to go. Easier than trying to integrate the TDI with the stock powertronics of a Prius, but not so impressive.

When it comes to aerodynamics and its impact to the mileage, sure a TDI Prius might beat both a Golf and a stock Prius. I'd also not disconsider some mild-hybrid approach similar to GM's eAssist and Mercedes-Benz' EQ-Boost.
Old 10-13-2019, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
A 6 speed 1 liter Honda Insight motor inside a Prius would be good fun,

Just to put IMA and VTEC logos on the Prius.
Though it would be unlikely to impress in other ways

I am told some old “Toyota” manual transmissions like the one in the mr2 or Daihatsu charade mount up to a Prius motor as well
Old 10-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
A 6 speed 1 liter Honda Insight motor inside a Prius would be good fun
Maybe if you trim it down to get rid of some dead weight, it could serve quite reasonably. Some compact sedans in Brazil, even though seemingly still a little smaller than a Prius, are available with 1.0L 3-bangers nowadays. But they're AFAIK shorter-geared than an Insight...

Quote:
I am told some old “Toyota” manual transmissions like the one in the mr2 or Daihatsu charade mount up to a Prius motor as well
The only application of the HSD with a more conventional transmission (actually an automated-manual without a clutch) is on those Hino 300-series hybrid trucks.

Reply  Post New Thread