Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 03:23 PM   #361 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian View Post
Nice! I've got to watch my back.
You mean watch your back again? A few weeks ago I was ranked higher on the list, but then I took a trip to DC through West Virginia. Man those hills were brutal and crushed my 3 tank average MPG. A couple more weeks and it will be back.

Obviosuly no lack of respect. if you were still in your civic I would not even have a shot of catching you...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-12-2013, 03:57 PM   #362 (permalink)
Hypermiler

PaleCivic (retired) - '96 Honda Civic DX Sedan
90 day: 69.2 mpg (US)

PaleFit - '09 Honda Fit Sport
Team Honda
Wagons
90 day: 44.06 mpg (US)
Nothing but respect for you and what you've done for that car. It's what I dreamed of in my old one but never lifted a finger to do anything.

11-mile commute: 100 mpg - - - Tank: 90.2 mpg / 1191 miles
Old 04-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #363 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Just filled up and got 64 mpg. Looks the the warmer temps were helping out! Still a long way to go until they are optimal, but definately progress!
Amazing. You're outpacing me, I think, though this tank is looking pretty good right now, as I am figuring out how to hypermile this '93 CX transmission. Need to fix my hub bearings (loud!).
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:23 PM   #364 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Glad you're enjoying the improvements. I'm about to do this job myself--almost the exact set of replacements, though it's possible I'll let the joints alone and just replace the hub bearing units. Are you willing to report what you paid for the repair? -james
I ended up paying $956. So that was for right front wheel bearing, upper ball joint, lower ball joint, an outer tie rod end, shop supplies (24.82?) and a 4 wheel alignment. No time to do the job myself, would have been a fun project if I had a second car.

The Following User Says Thank You to pletby For This Useful Post:
California98Civic (04-19-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #365 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by pletby View Post
I ended up paying $956. No time to do the job myself, would have been a fun project if I had a second car.
$$$ Ouch!
I fully understand the time and logistics issue though. Sometimes it just makes sense to pay to have it done.

Unfortunately I am still trying to find time to work on my extra car, while my poor civic is getting neglected from some future mods and minor maintenance.

On the positive side, I did have another record tank of 66 mpg. Still lots of room for improvement. I had SEVERAL hard stops for traffic
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #366 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

EDIT: I did it. I quit my two teams and the main page's list of "top gasoline cars."

Latest tank is an improvement, despite driving faster. Check my fuel logs. You'll see that a lot rests on whether I did my gps calibration of the odometer readings correctly. What I have learned is that the VSS and the speedometer gears on the fifth gen CX and sixth gen DX transmissions are identical. Which means I am calibrating the new readings (because I thought the CX tranny would require it, having been designed for 13" wheels) only to discover the trannys are identical, so I should have been calibrating my pre trans swap readings too. My bet is that Honda gave the sixth gen taller wheels for style points and compensated for the resulting odometer/speedometer inaccuracy with a tire brand that fixed all or most of the discrepancy. My current tires are not the OEM and are probably a little larger. Strange, huh? I'm tempted to quite teams and take my car off the gasoline vehicles list because my FE readings seem so chaotic now.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 04-22-2013 at 11:10 PM..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #367 (permalink)
Red Light Avoider

My Civic - '00 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46 mpg (US)
California Civic I'd say keep on keeping on, you're more consistent than most.

Brucepick I was just looking at the Team Honda rankings and I've got you in my sights. It's getting warmer up here, though there's a snowfall warning again a little ways north near a favorite camping spot. They've got 10cm this morning and expect 15cm more by tonight. That's 10". So far just rain here. The point is I just did my first 1000km tank this year and I'm just getting warmed up.

Last edited by pletby; 04-30-2013 at 05:41 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 04-30-2013, 06:15 PM   #368 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I was both saddened and happy to see that I dropped from 11th to 13th place; happy cause you all are booking progress.
Then I saw WD40's Civic had triplicated... ?

Though copying such an ecofriendly vehicle must be good, I fear this is some software glitch instead.

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #369 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
EDIT: I did it. I quit my two teams and the main page's list of "top gasoline cars."
Rejoin! we need you!!!! Even with your erratic Speedo. I am sure you will get it dialed in here son with using a GPS.
I was kinda shocked with my last tank. I am guessing it did not fill up completely. I was thinking my next tank would be showing much lower numbers, but if it keeps getting warm, it might actually show the same while improving. Too bad I could not validate the numbers as before. My MPGuino has been resetting a lot lately. Redoing the wiring to it along with properly mounting the buttons is on a long list of things to do when I another car back on the road and can afford to give the civic some much needed downtime for some clean up, minor maintenance, and more aero mods.
Old 05-01-2013, 08:39 AM   #370 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Rejoin! we need you!!!! Even with your erratic Speedo. I am sure you will get it dialed in here son with using a GPS.
Thanks. I guess I should have said that I will rejoin once I get more confidence that my current numbers are correct and therefore fair. That's the actual intent. But it's tough to wrench on your daily driver. Need time. Hang in there, with your projects.

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-01-2013 at 08:45 AM..
Reply  Post New Thread