Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2013, 07:51 AM   #381 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcane View Post
Three tank average over 50mpg! Part of that was a long highway trip (500+ miles each way).
the Civic is going under the knife (under the wrench?) for most of the summer.

Needs:
New muffler (it fell off...)
Timing belt/water pump
Transmission
Shocks/Struts
Compliance bushings (rubber bushing in the front LCAs)
Engine mounts.
Congrats on the high numbers! Sounds like you have a lot of stuff that needs attention. (I know the feeling...) Are there other transmission options for the 01? I know 92-00 interchange so the cx/VX trans is ideal for our gen, but not sure about newer ones. Since you are already doing the work, it is probably worth a little research to see if there is anything that would swap in cheaply.
Also, I went with Koni orange shocks. They are oem ride quality and carry a lifetime warranty. When put them on, I went ahead and got some conservative lowering springs as well to lower the drag of the car.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #382 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbovr41991 View Post
Congrats on the high numbers! Sounds like you have a lot of stuff that needs attention. (I know the feeling...) Are there other transmission options for the 01? I know 92-00 interchange so the cx/VX trans is ideal for our gen, but not sure about newer ones. Since you are already doing the work, it is probably worth a little research to see if there is anything that would swap in cheaply.
Also, I went with Koni orange shocks. They are oem ride quality and carry a lifetime warranty. When put them on, I went ahead and got some conservative lowering springs as well to lower the drag of the car.
For the 7th gen, The HX tranny has the highest gear ratios. I have an HX. I also have a replacement HX transmission that's been rebuilt. I just have to put it in.

I have a line on a set of Ground Control coilovers that are going cheap. However, the ad is light on details and there are actually nine different versions of these for 7th gen Civics... hopefully they will work. If that doesn't pan out, it's getting lowered via non-adjustable lowering springs. The earlier generations are a LOT easier to figure out which suspension parts work with your car.

The Koni STR.T (orange) struts/shocks are what I will use unless I find a great deal on something else.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #383 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
For the 7th gen, The HX tranny has the highest gear ratios. I have an HX. I also have a replacement HX transmission that's been rebuilt.
Do you know if the 7th gen transmissions swap with the sixth and fifth gen transmissions?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #384 (permalink)
Eco Sol

Quote:
I know 92-00 interchange so the cx/VX trans is ideal for our gen, but not sure about newer ones.
Does this mean that I could change the final drive and 5th from any hydro 92-00 MT civic into my 94 Del Sol Si? Or would it have to be the same tranny code?

Best Tank = 42.72 mpg (in the 94 Del Sol)

CR-Z Current Mods:
Max Sidewall PSI
Old 05-15-2013, 01:13 PM   #385 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Do you know if the 7th gen transmissions swap with the sixth and fifth gen transmissions?
Nope, completely different.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 05-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #386 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Nope, completely different.
Oh, I see. It's a k-series engine? I thought that started in 2005.

[EDIT: wait, wasn't it a d-series engine? A D17...?]

[EDIT 2: YES! It is a d-series. Question still is whether a 1992-2000 tranny bolts up, or if it can with just a little adapting.]
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-15-2013 at 06:42 PM..
Old 05-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #387 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Oh, I see. It's a k-series engine? I thought that started in 2005.

[EDIT: wait, wasn't it a d-series engine? A D17...?]

[EDIT 2: YES! It is a d-series. Question still is whether a 1992-2000 tranny bolts up, or if it can with just a little adapting.]
Edit, edit, edit...

There was a K-series in the 7th gen, but not in the regular Civics. The K20 was in the Civic Si from '02-'05, but those are completely different from the D17. 2006 got the R18 engine (and still a K20 for the Si).

A little more looking and it appears the D16 tranny will bolt up, but you have to fabricate a means of shifting it. D17 uses cables instead of the shift rods on the older trannies.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 05-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #388 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
A little more looking and it appears the D16 tranny will bolt up, but you have to fabricate a means of shifting it. D17 uses cables instead of the shift rods on the older trannies.
That's cool. Interesting. One day this shell needs a new engine maybe, and a D17 with lean burn would pass CA emissions regulations. I would be curious about combining the taller gearing with the modestly greater torque the D17 seems to have over the D15 or D16.

[EDIT: Here is a guy who apparently tried it, but not certain it succeeded... check out the pics: http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...l#post1142027]

Last edited by California98Civic; 05-15-2013 at 11:51 PM..
Old 05-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #389 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Civic CX/HX - '97 Honda Civic CX/HX
Team Honda
90 day: 63.77 mpg (US)
Hmmm. I was originally interested in swapping a 2001 EX 4 door for myself. I was told the swap would be entirely too difficult. Maybe it was more do-able than I thought! A little too late now. I just started the engine in my twin turbo IS300 the other day. That is my not so gas friendly 4 door car. I did go with gas freindly rear end in it. Hopping for 30 mpg cruising 65 on the highway and 40 mpg hypermiling. Needless to say, my civic will be getting some much needed downtime to go over a few things and make some improvements.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #390 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Hmmm. I was originally interested in swapping a 2001 EX 4 door for myself. I was told the swap would be entirely too difficult. Maybe it was more do-able than I thought! A little too late now. I just started the engine in my twin turbo IS300 the other day. That is my not so gas friendly 4 door car. I did go with gas freindly rear end in it. Hopping for 30 mpg cruising 65 on the highway and 40 mpg hypermiling. Needless to say, my civic will be getting some much needed downtime to go over a few things and make some improvements.
Your fuel log numbers on that last tank were quite impressive. And if my calibration studies of these D-series transmissions turn out to be correct, your actual FE was higher than 71 mpg... probably closer to 74 or 75 mpg.

Reply  Post New Thread