Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Viva la MPGs!

Vacuum Gauge - Benefits?, Practicality?, Advice?

Newbie here,

I've read a lot of threads on this forum about using vacuum gauges to help monitor your driving habits, and work towards improving mpg's in the long run. While reading these articles I've heard mixed reviews about it, also people seem to be interchanging the terms "vacuum" gauge and "boost" gauge. So I have but a few questions to help me paint a better picture of what my next step is.

1. I own a '14 ford fiesta S Sedan, and want to install a vacuum gauge to help monitor the way i drive. do you see any practicality in that?

2. Because my car does not have a turbo, I would install a plain-jane vacuum gauge and not a boost gauge, correct? or are they essentially the same thing.

3. Do any of you have any recomendations as far as manufactorers and installation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks again guys!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Vacuum is negative pressure, boost is positive pressure. I own a 2011 Fiesta and saw your introduction posting. My 2011 is a 1.6 with the powershift auto 6 speed. I was wondering what engine you got in your 2014?

I have used a vacuum gauge in a previous vehicle. Have you considered a scan gauge? It would give you much more information.

Just a thought.

regards
Mech
Old 03-03-2014, 09:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Viva la MPGs!

thanks for the reply!

my '14 has the 1.6L 1 Ti-VCT I-4 with a 5 speed manual.
Also I have looked into the scan gauges, they provide a lot of information, more than the vacuum gauge would. Do take into consideration i'm a 21 year old, and looks are everything lol. How do you like your '11?

-GF14
Old 03-03-2014, 10:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
LOl, I'm 63. Thanks for your service. My still living Pop was a B17 pilot in Europe with the 8th Army Air Forces (1943-44). He will be 93 May 8th and he drives a pearl white Cadillac Eldorado I flew to Florida and bought for him. He gets close to 30 MPG highway in his Caddy.

I think my Fiesta is one of the best cars I have ever owned. It's a hatch, think it has the same engine, at least same displacement. I use the factory instrumentation and have averaged 45 MPG for 21k miles. I purchased mine for $10k with 3770 miles from a good friends body shop who purchased it at a salvage auction and repaired it.

My overall average speed is right under 40 MPH so you know I am not driving real slow, just not the normal 10-20 over like most of the drivers in the Tidewater Va area.

regards
Mech
Old 03-04-2014, 08:03 AM   #5 (permalink)
Southern Squidbillie

You're a regular haell-raisin' virginia speed-demon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
My overall average speed is right under 40 MPH so you know I am not driving real slow,...
Gotta watch out for them 'ginia boys--might be using that thang...just kiddin ya

But seriously, your Dad is a real hero, and you are lucky to be alive--B17 crews didn't have good odds on returning from missions back then.

OT: Them newer cars got all that OBD and electrical ports and stuff to monitor, and that's all good, but i still use and like my intake manifold pressure gauge (aka vacuum gauge). You can get a big 3 or 4 inch gauge at autoparts shop and amaze all your friends with an analog needle gauge mounted in a prominent position. Or you can go digitical and even use wifi to send data to your phone app and display an analog gage there. Life is all about making choices...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,171 Times in 1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFiesta14 View Post
... Also I have looked into the scan gauges ... Do take into consideration i'm a 21 year old, and looks are everything lol. ...
The Ultragauge is a much better looking object and display, IMHO. I also love the vacuum gauge idea, get a good looking large one and display it prominently. That seems cool. But I'm 45!
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 03-21-2014, 01:49 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenFiesta14 View Post
3. Do any of you have any recomendations as far as manufactorers and installation?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks again guys!
Same here. I'd like to add a vacuum gauge and would like brand recommendations.

Thanks,

ZO.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

SLOMOTO - '92 Honda Civic VX
90 day: 56.49 mpg (US)
Vacuum gauge and pillar pod mount

So I went with Auto Meter Z-Series Mechanical Vacuum gauge (2610) and the Auto Meter Gauge Works Single gauge pod (20413). They should arrive some time next late next week.

Looking forward to the install.

ZO.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:26 AM   #9 (permalink)
Heilopower

Platinum Ghost - '14 Ford Fusion SE
90 day: 27.51 mpg (US)
A vacuum gauge is an easy install with perhaps the need to drill a hole in the firewall at a suitable point to thread the vacuum hose through. I had installed one years ago to keep track of fuel economy. It will give you instant feedback on how much throttle you are using. It will bounce around quite a bit in stop and go driving.

It is less expensive than a scan gauge but will let you know when the economy throttle zone is reached with high vacuum numbers. The scan gauge will cost more and not require holes to be drilled. The scan gauge will also tell you much more. It is amazing how much the scan gauge will tell you that your current instrument panel will not tell you if you have a vehicle in the early years of the OBDII connection.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:13 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

His is OBD-1....

Reply  Post New Thread