Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Closed Thread  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2021, 01:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianEdgar View Post
Then why on earth would professional aerodynamicists - real ones, including professors of aerodynamics and car company aero leaders - publicly endorse my books?

I write just the same content in my books as here.
They reviewed or blurbed your book, Julian. They did not confer a degree on you. When someone reviews your manuscript or offers a blurb for your book jacket, they are not signing on to endorse all your subsequent related arguments, especially these personally insulting campaigns against aerohead's qualifications. It seems dubiously ethical that you bring them up so often and clothe yourself in their reputations. Do they know you invoke them so often online to agressively to bolster your credentials?

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
freebeard (06-25-2021), samwichse (06-25-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-25-2021, 02:03 AM   #22 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
They reviewed or blurbed your book, Julian. They did not confer a degree on you. When someone reviews your manuscript or offers a blurb for your book jacket, they are not signing on to endorse all your subsequent related arguments, especially these personally insulting campaigns against aerohead's qualifications. It seems dubiously ethical that you bring them up so often and clothe yourself in their reputations. Do they know you invoke them so often online to agressively to bolster your credentials?
As usual, you are misquoting the context of my reply. Maybe you didn't see it, so I will repeat what I was responding to.

"Julian has been a cancer to the site ever since he came on but he writes just well enough to confuse most people. His technical knowledge is shallow."

If my knowledge was shallow, why would professionals in the subject endorse my books?

It seems to me to be a pretty good question.

Addition: Let me put it another way. I am confident in what I write here - eg in identifying errors that Aerohead spreads - because my understandings and knowledge have been endorsed by real experts. If that hadn't occurred, to be honest I'd probably believe some of the BS that Aerohead spreads - but then again, if you've read any aero textbooks or done any aero testing, it's pretty easy to see issues in much of what he writes.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 06-25-2021 at 02:12 AM.. Reason: Addition

The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:31 AM   #23 (permalink)
Banned

In fact, California98Civic, I was thinking about you the other day.

There (what 5-6 months ago - more?) was Aerohead saying point-blank that fastbacks always had less lift than squarebacks.

And there were you, agreeing with him... and then desperately trying to find a tech paper - any tech reference - that actually supported this nonsense.

You found quite a few interesting tech sources, but - of course - none supported the falsehood that Aerohead was promulgating.

Then you went really quiet.

I just don't understand why, when you looked at the good evidence you'd found, you simply didn't say: 'Aerohead, actually you're wrong on this one.'

It's bizarre - all I can assume is that people would rather that falsehoods are repeatedly spread here, as long as they can 'stay loyal' to Aerohead.

aerohead (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 02:54 AM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,585 Times in 7,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Edgar
Well, I'd not put it that way. You choose not to pick him up on all his errors. (Or maybe you just don't realise they are in fact errors?)
"You choose not to pick him up on all his errors". What does that even mean?

I was pushing back on Thee Holy Template, while you were still with Autospeed. Bur I never caused (to my knowledge) forum members to throw up their hands and quit.

Quote:
In fact, California98Civic, I was thinking about you the other day. (what 5-6 months ago - more?)
Not getting a rise out of Vekke then, looking around some more?

MetroMPG -- I got the email Ecomodder Update and still only two moderators signed off on it. Is the Tyrant-at-large only a half moderator?

Old 06-25-2021, 03:00 AM   #25 (permalink)
Banned

Actually, it's very interesting. When you write a book on a topic, and the book attempts to cover a broad area of that topic, it's a huge learning experience. That's because, if you are honest with yourself, you cannot just skirt past stuff you don't really know.

So at the moment, with my book I am writing on the history of suspension, I have just today written to an expert saying:

"If you know of any published information on torsional / bending stiffnesses of cars of the last 50 years, I am very interested! I also don't have any clear info on relating body stiffness frequency measurements to torsional and bending stiffness. There seems to be few technical papers available on these topics."

So, when I have obtained some information on this, and got my head around it, and being guided by real experts, I'll be pretty confident in commenting on this topic in a future discussion group talking about car suspension and torsional body stiffness.

It's been the same time after time with car aero. When you show that you're trying to understand, and are prepared to do the hard yards, I've found real experts just bend over backwards to help.

Why do they do that with little ol' Julian from Dalton, New South Wales, Australia?

Because they want good information out there!

They see so much absolute rubbish around that when someone comes to them and really wants the right info to publish, they're just so positive!

And the relevance to this group? When I see so much misinformation being spread, and I realise the source of that misinformation is one man, then yes, I try to correct it.

I started off expecting that person to acknowledge their mistakes, but I soon realised that Aerohead never, ever, ever does so - so then it becomes just silly. A silly game.

Except - except - that people trying to learn are being massively misled. And, as a hands-on car modifier who has spent thousands of hours modifying cars, I just hate seeing other car modifiers being misled.

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 06-25-2021 at 03:35 AM.. Reason: typo

aerohead (06-25-2021)
Old 06-25-2021, 03:08 AM   #26 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I was pushing back on Thee Holy Template, while you were still with Autospeed. Bur I never caused (to my knowledge) forum members to throw up their hands and quit.
Yep, anyone can 'push back' in a way that achieves no change. Bottom line: people here believed the template. They believed it so bad that it's just astonishing.

And absolutely reprehensible. I wonder how many people wasted so many hours trying to achieve that shape, thinking it was the ultimate?

Your comments made zero difference. I imagine that's the case because they were vague, obscure and weird in allusion - as is your bent.

I am not like that - I say: That's rubbish. People have no doubt of my view.

You say the equivalent of: But have you considered Buckminster Fuller circa 1932? People say: WTF?

Old 06-25-2021, 03:11 AM   #27 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Not getting a rise out of Vekke then, looking around some more?
Can you please put, in your own words, how Vekke is currently testing the aerodynamics of his electric Volkswagen, and then how valid you think such an approach is?

(Otherwise, how can you even judge the comments I am making about his test procedure?)

Old 06-25-2021, 09:41 AM   #28 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Not engaging with you is not "going silent" in some dramatic courtroom discourse where someone is dumbfounded by your sterling arguments. It takes two to tangle, and I choose not to tangle with most of what you write because of the "burn down the house and attack the occupants" style of discourse you goad people to, Julian. This crusade against "the template," and the endlessly distracting and boring feud with aerohead. This forum has had moments of controversy in the past, but you have made aggressive and personally diminishing argument a reliable feature on EM in a way that I have not seen sustained for so long in the 10 years I have been a member. Vekke is now also going to be a target? I regretfully have to say that I hold the mods partly responsible for allowing this to go on for more than a year. I'd ask the mods to consider the degree to which they have allowed EM to remain too personal and too rancorous, too often and for too long. I am going back to ignoring. I know you'll count that as some kind of victory, Julian. Such is life.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 06-25-2021, 11:46 AM   #29 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
title

Quote:
Vman 455 was appointed a moderator many months ago.

The title of this thread is enough to categorise it as more personal abuse from Aerohead.
I believe that 'tyrant' is an element of the descriptors Vman455 uses for himself / herself, I don't know the gender.
Moderator or not, the question remains, what is Vman455's portfolio: education, field experience in aerodynamics, field experience in automotive modification, especially drag reduction, etc..
It's a fair question.

Old 06-25-2021, 12:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,223 Times in 4,650 Posts
identifying errors

Quote:
As usual, you are misquoting the context of my reply. Maybe you didn't see it, so I will repeat what I was responding to.

"Julian has been a cancer to the site ever since he came on but he writes just well enough to confuse most people. His technical knowledge is shallow."

If my knowledge was shallow, why would professionals in the subject endorse my books?

It seems to me to be a pretty good question.

Addition: Let me put it another way. I am confident in what I write here - eg in identifying errors that Aerohead spreads - because my understandings and knowledge have been endorsed by real experts. If that hadn't occurred, to be honest I'd probably believe some of the BS that Aerohead spreads - but then again, if you've read any aero textbooks or done any aero testing, it's pretty easy to see issues in much of what he writes.
* I'm still awaiting identification of my errors.
* When I've been given any access to actual 'spoken words' from your professional ensemble, they typically corroborate what I've posted.
1) Thomas Wolf, re: Porsche 911 rear spoiler.
2) Joseph Katz, re: 18%-body length diffuser angle for lowest drag.
3) Cooling drag remains a work in progress.
4) Ahmed body will be addressed in a dedicated thread.
5) DARKO/ A2 small wind tunnel blockage-ratio vs accurate drag coefficient inaccuracy case was never established.( I've reached out to Geoff Eaker at A2 Wind Tunnel to see if we can move this topic off dead center )
6) Counterevidence to 'lift' arguments were killed in the crib by Julian Edgar ally Vman455 before it could get off the ground.
7) US PATENT aerodynamic patent illustration accessibility to members and guests has very recently been killed by Vman455.
8) It is my understanding that the 'Modifying Your Car's Aerodynamics....' book received the imprimatur of contributing 'professionals' within the context that the intended audience and market for the book was the lay person, non-engineer, and was never intended as an undergraduate nor advanced study reference.

Closed Thread  Post New Thread