Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > The Unicorn Corral
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Talking Sorry but its the hydrogen generator again.

Hi all new to the forum and really sorry to put this as my first post. But the age old discussion of the Hydrogen generator.

I do have a different question though regarding this but just used in a different way to normaly debated one.

So the verdict always seems to be as follows, draw from battery is greater than the power produced resulting in poorer fuel economy (which i agree with). Some people say the hydrogen changes the burning characteristics and this improves the efficiency which i suppose is possible although any benefit will probably be lost on the extra load on the alternator.

So my questions are as follows......

1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch. A slow draw of 5 amps should last 8-12 hours depending on the battery installed. This should eliminate the extra load put on the alternator. Charging of the battery would take a while by solar but unless your putting in higher mileage you should be able to keep this topped up after school runs etc. If nothing else would this help with cold starting and running of the first few miles untill warmed up?.

2 - same principle again, but forget about improving the fuel economy. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.

Would like to hear peoples opinions for the different spin on this greatly argued subject but after many hours/days/years lol of finding an answer to this age old subject not once have i heard an independant unit mentioned. The independant unit of course resulting in the extra load issue being non existant making alot of peoples argument void.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-23-2012, 07:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Breeze - '97 Plymouth Breeze
90 day: 23.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betuaintgotthis View Post
1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch.
The current required to get any measurable amount of hydrogen amounts to kilowatts of power. Sure you can generate hydrogen, but never enough while the car is driving to do anything useful, without having so many solar panels and so much water on board that the weight will ofset your economy benefits.

Quote:
2 - same principle again, but forget about improving the fuel economy. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.
Again, the weight of the system would largely offset any benefits. If you had a bottle of hydrogen onboard, pregenerated and stored, sure, injecting that into an engine I believe the effective octane rating for hydrogen is very high and it burns rather explosively. I wouldn't doubt you could tune for more power with it, much like propane, ethanol, and CNG vehicles can.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #3 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)
Thanked 4,380 Times in 3,354 Posts
Quote:
1 - What if the hydrogen generator was independant of the alternator ie solar charging battery in boot and device switched on by relay from ignition or seperate switch. A slow draw of 5 amps should last 8-12 hours depending on the battery installed...
The poster above gave you a good answer. You would be better off using that solar panel to delete your alternator.

Quote:
2 -If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.
Nitrous-Oxide (Nitro) is an injection of oxygen, not fuel, so hydrogen injection would not be similar. That said, I think interesting things could happen with H2 injection. I'm no chemist, so I have no idea what interesting things that might be.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
The Following User Says Thank You to redpoint5 For This Useful Post:
Flakbadger (08-25-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
wrx4me...

no worries - '91 Subaru legacy L
90 day: 31.45 mpg (US)

weevee - '08 suzuki vstrom dl650
90 day: 61.22 mpg (US)

wrx - '09 Subaru wrx sedan
90 day: 29.8 mpg (US)

Big Bright Green Pleasure Machine - '09 kawasaki ninja 250 se

Connie - '09 kawasaki concours
What would really be interesting to see would be hydrgen powered car, even from a tank of compressed hydrogen, with the engines characteristics optimized for the fuel. That would be cool.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 AM   #5 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
OK, this is 2 days in a row with the same tone regarding HHO in this forum by somebody posting for the "first" time.....what are the odds?. Give it a rest.

I'm pretty certain this is a linkback post designed to generate interest in some schmucks Google ranking. Let this thread die with this post. DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChazInMT For This Useful Post:
Fat Charlie (08-24-2012), mcrews (08-24-2012), Ryland (08-24-2012), Tango Charlie (08-24-2012)
Old 08-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChazInMT View Post
OK, this is 2 days in a row with the same tone regarding HHO in this forum by somebody posting for the "first" time.....what are the odds?. Give it a rest.

I'm pretty certain this is a linkback post designed to generate interest in some schmucks Google ranking. Let this thread die with this post. DO NOT RESPOND FURTHER!!!
No I am not linking this to any other forums/discussions etc. However if this has just been discussed else where then please add the link to save us the time of having to read and write twice.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:04 AM   #7 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
Quote:
. If an independant hydrogen generator was fitted that was high amp's ie 100/200amps could this be used as some kind of crude nitro burst?. Battery wont last long but neither would a nitro bottle.
Want to know how long it lasts?
A 100hp shot of nitrous oxide will use 4 pounds in about 12 seconds.
A 15lb bottle will barely get you 3 passes, and that last run will be pretty iffy.
A 1.5m tall hydrogen bottle charged to 2200psi only has about 5 pounds of hydrogen in it.
The typical hydrogen generator couldn't even prove a power boost to a weedeater. I bet 10 of them couldn't provide any noticeable power boost to a lawn mower or weedeater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceCake View Post
having so many solar panels and so much water on board....
You should get a diesel, run a solar assisted alternator delete and run water injection.
Water injection on a diesel is good for about 4% to 6% and an alt delete is good for between 5% to 10%
Hydrogen generators are good for about 0%.

Hydrogen has only been able to give a proven 3% improvement and that was with the engine being bottle fed the hydrogen. Hydrogen form a gas cylinder is way more hydrogen then you could hope to get from even 50 hydrogen generators.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiceCake View Post
I wouldn't doubt you could tune for more power with it, much like propane, ethanol, and CNG vehicles can.
I doubt it.
Hydrogen piston engines have always suffered low volumetric efficiency.
Ford built a hydrogen powered shuttle bus, no doubt with a lot of government money, they had to use a supercharged tridon V10 to make it drive like a regular diesel bus.
I wish I had that much money to waste.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #8 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,522 Times in 2,796 Posts
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...hho-23018.html
Old 08-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Q Sold - '02 Infiniti Q45 Sport
90 day: 23.08 mpg (US)

blackie - '14 nissan altima sv
Quote:
No I am not linking this to any other forums/discussions etc. However if this has just been discussed else where then please add the link to save us the time of having to read and write twice.
OR

how about you pull your head out and use the search function .........

How come the stupid noobies don't know how to search????
First time on a forum??????

ECO MODS PERFORMED:
First: ScangaugeII
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...eii-23306.html

Second: Grille Block
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-10912-2.html

Third: Full underbelly pan
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html

Fourth: rear skirts and 30.4mpg on trip!
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post247938
Old 08-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
My question is how much hydrogen do you need to equal the energy equivalent of 1 gallon of gas?

When you can answer that question, you might understand the problem.

regards
Mech

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
generator, hho, hho hoax, hho rip-off, hoax, hydrogen, nitro, rip-off