Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Which is why I questioned how did he get a cel for an o2 sensor if he said getting getting codes were a pain. OP, create a video of the blinking cel light. Also how are you getting everything wired up if this is all going into an obd1 car? Is the egr sensor, egr control solenoid and vtec wires hooked up properly?

EDIT: confirm the pinouts so I can see if you have everything properly. I have a feeling either the o2 wire was hooked up to the wrong pin or all of the above has not been correctly pin.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 AM   #12 (permalink)
ALL UP ON THE INTERWEB!!!

skidmark - super snail - '89 honda civic wagon WAGOVAN
Team "Old SKOOL"
90 day: 30.87 mpg (US)

Pituca - '19 Honda Insight Touring
90 day: 39.34 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbaber View Post
The JDM engines didn't come stamped differently between the variations. For example a block stamped D15B could be the 3-stage vtec or regular vtec. The way to tell is to look at the vtec solenoids. The 3-stage vtec should have 2 solenoids compared to 1 for the regular vtec and none for non-vtec. The JDM 3-stage vtec came with a 1-wire o2 sensor.
True. from what i read, the jdm motors donot have numbers at the end of the codes on the block : my jdm d15b is 3 stage vtec w/ lean burn capabilities a usdm d15b6 will not .

The dual vtec solenoid is not a true indication of a 3 stage vtec motor. pull the solenoid off and look at the holes in the head (ha!) If there are only 3, all one above the other, it's single. .three one above the other, and a fourth on the bottom right:
like that, is 3stage.

this is the solenoid:

for the record, i'm running a $29 ebay p2j-j62 with a manual in my 96 civic lx. (cvt ecu - I fooled it into being happy by wiring a 3 wire IACV to it. the iacv is strapped to my clutch line by my battery right now. no cel's 4 wire o2 sensor in stock d16y7 civic location.)

feel free to peek around my public picasa stuff on my "MINION" enjoy!!

My pictures don't work! you can follow this link to my "econo light" folder in picasa. you can see my dual solenoid, and where it tied into the head, and the "holes in myhead!!"
https://picasaweb.google.com/1126895...noLightAt70Mph

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 04-30-2014 at 07:45 AM..
Old 04-30-2014, 02:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkhonda7 View Post
Your right the other ECU is from a VX. I have used the paperclip jumper that's how I came to it being a o2 censor error. Can anyone confirm or have a link to tony_2018's statement? I also ordered another p2j-003 ECU so I should be able to see if that is it. Should be here by this weekend. And sorry I thought when I said it was the O2 people would know I checked and didn't randomly guess. Also yes all the wires have been double and triple check me and 2 others. I used a rewire and added pins/wires where needed. No other codes come on just o2. I have the O2 going to D7 ECU side. I have even ran a wire completely separate for the O2. and to clarify this is whats happening. I leave the battery off for way more time than I need to I then hook it back up then go in the car and turn the key to the position before starting it. Dash lights come on Check engine light comes on then goes off then comes back on. The entire time I do not start the car. I use a paperclip and check the code it is one long blink(O2) and I didn't even start it. I have tried running the car and it does not go away either. And yes its a 1 wire O2 hope that helps.
You're not using the correct ecu on this engine. Plain an simple. YOu basicly had everyone in your post believe you had all of the correct items when you didn't. You need to take this to someone who knows what they are doing. Depending on the vx ecu you need to wire in a 5 wire o2 sensor.

I don't think I'm going any further because I feel that you can't even produce the pinouts, you haven't produce the cel blinking video to confirm the correct code, and you haven't explained how you have the ecu hooked up in your car.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Running the VX ecu requires a 5 wire o2 sensor.................right lets get technical. Is the wire you ran o2 sensor isolated?
Old 04-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrmouseyd15b View Post
True. from what i read, the jdm motors donot have numbers at the end of the codes on the block : my jdm d15b is 3 stage vtec w/ lean burn capabilities a usdm d15b6 will not .

The dual vtec solenoid is not a true indication of a 3 stage vtec motor. pull the solenoid off and look at the holes in the head (ha!) If there are only 3, all one above the other, it's single. .three one above the other, and a fourth on the bottom right:
like that, is 3stage.

this is the solenoid:

for the record, i'm running a $29 ebay p2j-j62 with a manual in my 96 civic lx. (cvt ecu - I fooled it into being happy by wiring a 3 wire IACV to it. the iacv is strapped to my clutch line by my battery right now. no cel's 4 wire o2 sensor in stock d16y7 civic location.)

feel free to peek around my public picasa stuff on my "MINION" enjoy!!

My pictures don't work! you can follow this link to my "econo light" folder in picasa. you can see my dual solenoid, and where it tied into the head, and the "holes in myhead!!"
https://picasaweb.google.com/1126895...noLightAt70Mph

Whoa.......you actually installed that in your dif?
Old 04-30-2014, 01:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Burn lean and prosper\\//

VLX - '93 Honda Civic VLX
Team Honda
90 day: 51.1 mpg (US)
tony is right, as long as you keep running a vx (p07) with a one wire 02 you are always going to have the check engine light. it needs to be rewired with not just the 5 wire o2 sensor but all the vx specific items need to be wired in. i believe its 12 or 13 wires total. the o2 actually has 7 wires coming out of the ecu just for that, then you need egr valve and solenoid, and vtec etc.

further more making the dual stage work by adding the OBD2 jdm ecu is NOT going to be cut and dry. if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

best thing to do would be find a tuning shop and buy an aftermarket ecu with nitrous capabilities (or i believe guys have done it with an automatic trans solenoid). guys use the regular vtec part to activate the lean burn part at the lower rpms. then they use the nitrous solenoid part to activate the performance vtec part. all the meanwhile the ecu will have to be tuned to get the economy and performance. $$

wiring it for the vx ecu then totally rewiring it to conform to the obd2 ecu would be crazy.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by slownugly View Post
tony is right, as long as you keep running a vx (p07) with a one wire 02 you are always going to have the check engine light. it needs to be rewired with not just the 5 wire o2 sensor but all the vx specific items need to be wired in. i believe its 12 or 13 wires total. the o2 actually has 7 wires coming out of the ecu just for that, then you need egr valve and solenoid, and vtec etc.

further more making the dual stage work by adding the OBD2 jdm ecu is NOT going to be cut and dry. if it were that easy everyone would be doing it.

best thing to do would be find a tuning shop and buy an aftermarket ecu with nitrous capabilities (or i believe guys have done it with an automatic trans solenoid). guys use the regular vtec part to activate the lean burn part at the lower rpms. then they use the nitrous solenoid part to activate the performance vtec part. all the meanwhile the ecu will have to be tuned to get the economy and performance. $$

wiring it for the vx ecu then totally rewiring it to conform to the obd2 ecu would be crazy.
Or run a p72 and use the iab output with a tuned basemap, only a couple of ways to do this ( obd2b ecu, obd2a ecu, chipped ecu). I never boost about what i know when it comes to these 3 stage vtec, I keep my tone on the DL so they can continue spouting what they think they know.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

green VX - '95 Honda civic VX
Team Honda
90 day: 59.74 mpg (US)
TK, Maybe you could ask the question again. When I read the the post, twice, It seemed like you were trying to run the VX ECU, though you called it a CX ECU. (post #7)
Most of these guys are very helpful, but I think we got some wires crossed.
I am interested in what you are doing and do not want you to give up.

My adjustable WAI / HAI build thread

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...tml#post408134
Old 04-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony_2018 View Post
Whoa.......you actually installed that in your dif?

OH YEAH!! I gotta be different! only civic around these parts that can roast both tires / get sick hybrid style gas mileage all in the same setup!
Old 04-30-2014, 06:30 PM   #20 (permalink)

Team "Old SKOOL"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkhonda7 View Post
Ok excuse my frustration but does anyone have anything useful that will help cause I'm quit tired of repeating myself you guys really need to read what I'm writing (Like when I say I'm using a p2j-003 ECU I should not need to be accused of running a p07 over and over again. and when I say I'm using a 1 wire O2 same thing. I think the problem is you are skimming my post and assuming I'm new to this or to the DVtec and sorry all the things being said that does not relate to what I'm trying to do and has nothing to do with the problem in this post sounds like spouting to me.

let me try and dig up the screenshots i have somewhere with the vtec pins (1&2), the econolight pin (it's a switched ground you have to bring the power to the other side of the light). it might just have what you're after...

EDIT:

just added a couple screenshots to my picasa. the link is on page 2 of this thread. I can show you the pins for vtec1&2and econo light, but I don't know anything about running a single wire o2 sensor, dude. I'm running a 4-wire up front and 4-wire at the rear of my "cat test pipe" (I'm loud. stock header to the test pipe to 3" all the way back to a 4" muffler out, all stainless except header). I couldn't even tell you if I need the rear sensor, but when I slapped this ecu in (p2j-j62), I figured what the hell.

The only wiring I modded at the ecu was for both vtec's, 3 wire IAC (previously modded from stock 3 wire to 2 for manual chipped ecu), and econo light ground connection, if I remember right.

I'll have to put up a you tube walkaround of my engine setup to explain my manual throttle body (minion don't like the auto one) on my manual intake manifold with my un-used 2 wire iac on the back, and a 3 wire iac wired in and zapped to the clutch line by my battery!! it's hilarious!! (I'm going to wire it into the cab on free wires from the automatic, and bury it in the cab somewhere. my idle happily sits right about 850-900 rpm, all by itself, but I had to mess with the IACV air mixing screw to find a happy balance). no cel's, full vtec, and lean burn!!

Last edited by vrmouseyd15b; 04-30-2014 at 07:15 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread