Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-20-2010, 11:46 AM   #21 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro
Last 3: 70.09 mpg (US)

MPGiata - '90 Mazda Miata
90 day: 52.71 mpg (US)

Even Fancier Metro - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage top spec
90 day: 70.75 mpg (US)

Appliance car - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage ES (base)
90 day: 52.48 mpg (US)
Thanked 6,960 Times in 3,604 Posts
Turtle

Quote:
The v6 and v8 get almost identical mpg
Don't forget that when you're talking about a 16 MPG vehicle, 1 MPG is a significant difference in volume/cost of fuel used. See post #5.

Quote:
figure in the v6 gets driven harder to perform the same, its a tie.
I see this repeated often, and I'm skeptical. Sounds like a truck drivers urban myth /slash rationalization.

- The EPA test cycles run the engines at the same rates of acceleration and same speeds (ie. "perform the same"), and the smaller displacement engines win out over the bigger ones.

- For "real world" results (if you assume the sample size is big enough and representative), check the "Your MPG" numbers on the www.fueleconomy.gov site and I bet you'll find that smaller displacement engines also get better MPG as reported by real drivers

Pre-emptive point: anecdotal stories (lacking solid methodology) don't count!

Ecodriving test: Manual vs. automatic transmission MPG showdown

EcoModder
has launched a forum for the efficient new Mitsubishi Mirage
www.MetroMPG.com - fuel efficiency info for Geo Metro owners
www.ForkenSwift.com - electric car conversion on a beer budget
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:
ShadeTreeMech (11-20-2010), UFO (11-22-2010)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-20-2010, 12:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I bought new my 2007 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 litre and 315 HP to pull my Nash travel trailer. When not towing, the V8 will beat any V6 offered in MPG. Taking advantage of the offered fuel management system is the key. On the dash, the display will indicate when you switch up or down in cylinder cutout. With a simple glance at the dash you can control your foot to keep the engine in 4 cylinder operation. You cannot feel the changeover. It is flawless in its operation. That is how I could easily bring in 26+ MPG on the highway brand new on the New Jersey Turnpike at 65 MPH and even on small country roads it is easy to hit mid twenties. The next training feature as I call it is the instant MPG display. Once you have trained your foot to not be a lead weight, the next step is to maximize the MPG. Instant MPG is accurate. The trucks's computer always knows exactly how much fuel is entering the cylinder. It also knows exactly how far you have traveled. So as I'm traveling down the highway, the majority of time I am in instant MPG mode on the dash. My method works and I can always beat the EPA rating by a wide margin.

For those who like to coast, the instant MPG readout really makes you feel good. Instant gratification 99 MPG going downhill coasting.

The V6 did not offer this feature of fuel management. Plus is could not tow my Nash trailer or more correctly was not designed to tow so much weight.

GM has had the best design for economy for several years. They don't get enough credit for this.

Not that I did this but this engine can really haul A**.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2012 Golf TDI - '12 Volkswagen Golf TDI
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 45.51 mpg (US)
I dont know why you guys bothered with this kid. He's obviously too immature to take in any advice you might give him, he only wants to hear what he WANTS to hear. Like get a big lifted V8 truck and it will automatically get 30 mpg when you put loud exhaust and a cold air kit on it. If you disagree you are WRONG!

Big Truck Ego. Thats all. *spits dip*

BP-turbo 93 Festiva (long gone)
1/4 mile - 12.50@111.5
Best MPG - 36.8
Old 11-20-2010, 12:40 PM   #24 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

woody: your story illustrates how your truck would benefit from aerodynamic mods (aero shell! partial grille block) much more than a non-cylinder-cutout version, since you'd be able to enter 4-cyl mode sooner, and hold it longer. (Assuming it's a load-dependant thing.)

And it suggests that a 4-cyl truck would be even better than a 6- or 8-cyl one. (Ducks for cover!)

EcoModder
Old 11-20-2010, 12:41 PM   #25 (permalink)
Batman Junior

Blackfly - '98 Geo Metro
Team Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post
I dont know why you guys bothered with this kid.
Oh, I think most of us gave up talking to him after his 2nd post.

Think we're talking amongst ourselves at this point. Nobody here but us chickens!

EcoModder
Old 11-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I gave up after I heard cold "air intake and exhaust" and fuel efficiency in the same sentence.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Well, I'm in the process of figuring out how to streamline my Class A motorhome. It's GVWR is 18000 lbs and the GCWR is 26000. It's got a Ford V10 and currently averages 10 MPG. That's at 55-57 MPH on the highway. It's 32 feet long and there is all kinds of stuff sticking out of every surface top, bottom and sides. I know here 10 MPG is considered horrible but I can remember way back when a Ford pickup with a crew cab would get 8 MPG. First I want to make skirts for the rear tires and second some type of air deflectors for the tires front and rear. The front tire air deflectors I'm thinking to be part of a pan across the bottom down as low as the front axle height. The front tire air deflector would also streamline the front axle. In order to do this, I have to keep the coach looking good. My wife is not going to tolerate cardboard panels as we travel. I have already posted about this motorhome on this site. The rear needs work to smoothe out the air flow. I carry a 250 cc scooter on back so it has to accommodate the scooter's being taken on and off the rack.

My underside is aerodynamically a nightmare. My idea is to keep the air moving around rather than under the motorhome.

The Chevy is only driven intermittently and streamlining it might not happen. Over a three year 4 month period I only drove it 19000 miles. Which by the way is the best way to economize. To NOT drive unless necessary. This happens to be contrary to my overall driving record. The 1999 Mazda B 4000 which the Chevy replaced currently has 195,000 miles on it. That's a lot of fuel I purchased. The best I ever got in MPG was 19. It still gets 19. When I could get fuel without ethanol it would just clear 22 MPG. Even though the Chevy beat it by a wide margin, I still stopped unnecessary driving and even then the scooter is my first choice.

My opinion about the OP getting upset is he just wanted to know what to choose. He did not want to justify the type of vehicle. Maybe he got help from what I did with the Chevy. My son with the same year truck from GMC doesn't give a damn about economy. It has all the same features but he just doesn't seem interested. When in his truck with him driving, he can't stand my questioning his driving habits as far as economizing goes. So to see someone interested enough to ask questions is a good thing.
Old 11-20-2010, 01:39 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Silver Bullet - '86 Chevy Camaro Z28
90 day: 19.74 mpg (US)

New Blue - '96 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
90 day: 20.46 mpg (US)

Diesel - '96 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
Last 3: 13.56 mpg (US)

Tahoe #2 - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LS
90 day: 13.05 mpg (US)

SuperDuty - '08 Ford F-350 dually Lariat
90 day: 9.34 mpg (US)

Fundai - '09 Hyundai Elantra
90 day: 26.45 mpg (US)

HRV - '17 Honda HRV LX
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
Don't forget that when you're talking about a 16 MPG vehicle, 1 MPG is a significant difference in volume/cost of fuel used. See post #5.

I see this repeated often, and I'm skeptical. Sounds like a truck drivers urban myth /slash rationalization.

- The EPA test cycles run the engines at the same rates of acceleration and same speeds (ie. "perform the same"), and the smaller displacement engines win out over the bigger ones.

- For "real world" results (if you assume the sample size is big enough and representative), check the "Your MPG" numbers on the www.fueleconomy.gov site and I bet you'll find that smaller displacement engines also get better MPG as reported by real drivers

Pre-emptive point: anecdotal stories (lacking solid methodology) don't count!
Yep, I just generalized they are a tie for purpose of saying he won't save much with the v6. But I checked fueleconomy.gov after your post, it does list 1mpg EPA rated difference for the auto 4.8l v8 vs auto 6, but same avg mpg for manual 6 vs manual 4.8l 8. Under $180 savings/yr if he went with the auto 6cyl. Thats less than 10% saved going with the auto 6, nothing saved for the manual 6. I still say its a wash, a gas truck is just plain bad mpg

Old 11-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #29 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
woody: your story illustrates how your truck would benefit from aerodynamic mods (aero shell! partial grille block) much more than a non-cylinder-cutout version, since you'd be able to enter 4-cyl mode sooner, and hold it longer. (Assuming it's a load-dependant thing.)

And it suggests that a 4-cyl truck would be even better than a 6- or 8-cyl one. (Ducks for cover!)
I wonder what an inline 4 diesel with a 10 gear manual would do for mileage. Or even a 4 cyl gasser with an electric motor for power assist and start stop technology.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 11-20-2010, 10:03 PM   #30 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
A couple MPG simply won't cut it when starting out with a gasguzzler.
Something is better than nothing I am 25% better than EPA chart saving 39 gallons in the past 2300 miles I have driven.

I guess a couple gallons is better than none at all

1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Reply  Post New Thread