Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2010, 03:10 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
Human Power output has been well studied. The lungs are the real limitation on power output, long term. The most famous human powered aircraft are a mix of upright and recumbent types. Power output variations were down in the noise of packaging considerations.
Cyclic torque variability is not much of a problem on a road vehicle compared to a prop driven one, and flywheels are often proposed but never used, even on human powered boats.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #42 (permalink)
VWCw

10 Jetta V - '10 Volkswagen Jetta
90 day: 34.76 mpg (US)
on a less comical note, there's this.
Old 07-06-2010, 01:42 AM   #43 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

One of the cost factors for sure is safety. Check this out. Gives you a greater appreciation of vehicle requirements in the US.

Check out some of the other Chinese crash test as well.

Um, I think I put this in the wrong thread. I had several threads open and was being pestered to do something for my wife. Sorry, I don't know where to put it.

Last edited by fidalgoman; 07-06-2010 at 07:48 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to fidalgoman For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (07-06-2010)
Old 07-06-2010, 08:11 AM   #44 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWCw View Post
on a less comical note, there's this.

They call that an electric bike?? An electric scooter - maybe, but not a bike. That thing doesn't even have pedals!

Quote:
The VW bik.e has a range of 12.5 miles, but if you need more range to complete your errands, the bike battery can be charged by a car's DC current and a typical AC plug.
Put some pedals on it and you can increase its range and be independent from AC or DC power at the same time.

OK, now that I've calmed down a little... I sometimes throw my bike into the trunk and ride it after leaving the car either at the edge of downtown or when it goes to get serviced. The best of both worlds...

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 07-06-2010, 12:30 PM   #45 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
They call that an electric bike?? An electric scooter - maybe, but not a bike. That thing doesn't even have pedals!
Well, the design curve looks a bit like an inverted beetle.

I'm wondering what good this would do in a snow or a rainstorm? Maybe it never rains or snows in Germany? I don't think so...

Oh, now I get it! It never rains or snows in the VW lab where the engineers dreamed this thing up.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #46 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post

Put some pedals on it and you can increase its range and be independent from AC or DC power at the same time.

OK, now that I've calmed down a little... I sometimes throw my bike into the trunk and ride it after leaving the car either at the edge of downtown or when it goes to get serviced. The best of both worlds...
If it had pedals, it would be a hybrid, not pure electric. I think the problem with trying to add pedals is the drive connection, since it must fold up. Regular chains won't work because of that.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 07-06-2010, 11:27 PM   #47 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
If it had pedals, it would be a hybrid, not pure electric. I think the problem with trying to add pedals is the drive connection, since it must fold up. Regular chains won't work because of that.
In German, a "bike" would be a fahrrad. Actually the Germans don't really have a word that corresponds directly to the concept of a two-wheeled cycle the way the French do (bicyclette or velo) from which we get our words bicycle and velocipede.

Well, if my grandmother had wheels, maybe she'd be a BUS, eh?.

Time for the Volkswagen Krauts to get out of their engineering lab and get on a real bike.
Old 08-12-2010, 03:24 AM   #48 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Ferrai Bicycles if you really want a fast bicycle
Old 10-22-2010, 03:49 PM   #49 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
If car companies recalled the Zap PU and put a V-8 in.... throw eco-friendly out the window; but what a thrilling suicide run! Being in a newer temporary (for me) apartment, no outlets are in the 50 car garage downstairs. I charge and leave the E-Pod at my old garage. I have to keep my gas-guzzling car here to get it. Not really good planning in my opinion.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:22 PM   #50 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Nailed VW. Now; the other 3:
My other car's a bike | Life & Style

Reply  Post New Thread