Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2010, 12:44 AM   #31 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanidiot25 View Post
The engineers would build the greatest bike ever. The stylists would force the engineers to sacrifice much of it for style. The bean counters would tell the engineers to build it cheaper, further sacrificing the bike. And then the gov't would tell the engineers it must be this safe, and run this clean (methane emissions must be kept under control!), and the design would be further watered down.

The engineers would look at back at their concept, saddened as they see the production bike go on sale.

That's the general history of much of the automotive world.
Actually the stylists would be disappointed too, as management comes along, armed with useless "data" gleaned from a bunch of doofs in focus groups, and demands changes which more often than not water down exciting concepts into the mundane.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-30-2010, 09:15 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

You would also need air bags, a place to put the registration sticker,
Old 06-22-2010, 04:06 PM   #33 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
What if the Auto Industry Designed Bicycles? They'd look like this:

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 06-22-2010, 04:45 PM   #34 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
LOL that's great! I bet it's exhausting making that huge wheel roll.

Why aren't recumbent bicycles more popular? They are a much better engineered design. You reduce the frontal area drastically and are able to make more efficient use of the engine (a seat back to press against allows for higher torque from lightweights such as myself, and are more comfortable to begin with )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:08 PM   #35 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTreeMech View Post
LOL that's great! I bet it's exhausting making that huge wheel roll.

Why aren't recumbent bicycles more popular? They are a much better engineered design. You reduce the frontal area drastically and are able to make more efficient use of the engine (a seat back to press against allows for higher torque from lightweights such as myself, and are more comfortable to begin with )
Might be more comfortable to you, but I have knee, back and hip problems. That and many of the idiots around here would only think they hit a speed bump.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:39 PM   #36 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Both designs have their own advantages and drawbacks. A recumbent with an upright seat and a traditional racer in a tuck have about the same air drag. A 'bent is favored for its longer wheelbase and seat comfort but weighs more. Give me a Huffy 3 spd for speed play in traffic. See Bicycleman.com for lots of info on all types of bikes.

Last edited by Grant-53; 06-26-2010 at 10:53 PM..
Old 06-26-2010, 10:45 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Did that tractor bike came from Case-IH? LOL
Favorite motorcycle was the AWD Rokon.
Full suspension moutain bikes are popular around here.
They are quite comfortable and they fit down the cellar stairs.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 PM   #38 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '03 Chrysler Town & Country mini van all white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
Both designs have their own advantages and drawbacks. A recumbent with an upright seat and a traditional racer in a tuck have about the same air drag.
I got a recumbent trike yesterday with thin 16" wheels and the seat is part of the frame (not adjustable at all). Car designers would have a field day with that engineering! Very little air drag though.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #39 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
For a HPV trike, adjustable pedals and fixed seat are definitely the way to go. You don't want the center of gravity wandering around much because there's not a lot of reserve stability, and it has been carefully apportioned.

In a sprint, a recumbent seat back does save you having to brace with your back and arms, but your lungs won't let you do that for more than a few percent of a ride.

With a regular racing bike, you are looking at the road. With a recumbent bike, you have to look at it anyway, to check for surface irregularities that might cause a spill. With a recumbent trike, you can enjoy the scenery.
Old 06-28-2010, 02:35 PM   #40 (permalink)
Basjoos Wannabe

The Van - '97 Mercury Villager gs
90 day: 19.8 mpg (US)

Lyle the Kindly Viking - '99 Volvo V70
90 day: 25.82 mpg (US)
I'm curious if anyone had trained on a recumbent long enough to adjust to how much power that can be extracted from human torque. I suspected it would pull the power right out of you but we are a hardy and adaptable species.

The closest I can imagine a standard bicycle coming to the peak torque possible from the recumbent design is when toe clips are used. I've used them before, and once I became accustomed to the extra effort and concentration required, I could go faster, but at full wick it would sap me rather well.

I wonder if a small flywheel attached to the crank that spins, say 3x crank rpms, would help spread the torque output? It would elimintate or reduce the surges, and I suspect when properly engineered wouldn't have to weigh much to help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesqf View Post
I think you missed the point I was trying to make, which is that it's not rational to do either speed or fuel economy mods for economic reasons. You do it as a form of recreation, for the fun and for the challenge.
Reply  Post New Thread